Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Senior Chief

David, I hope it's just the way I'm seeing your pics, but I hope you got the weight of the car on jackstands & concrete. #1 rule. Hope I'm not being a d--- , just sayin.

Last edited by BB70; 03-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePackFan View Post
David,

Been following your thread as I have an RS600 on order from Kiesler also.

One thing to change from Auto to Manual would be the Neutral Safety switch. This would be found under the console on the floor shift cars which only allows the car to be started in in "Park" or Neutral". Either connect both ends of the purplewires together or re-route the purple wires up under the dash and install a clutch safety switch which would anly allow the starter to turn the negine over when the clutch is pushed in(disengaged).

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll get more info on the forum.

Best of luck with the swap, I'll be watching....

John
Your neutral safety switch is at the base of the steering column.
Leave it in the ark position to allow the car to start.
You will need to run the reverse light wires here from the transmission as well.
No need to install a switch on the clutch pedal,the TKO has an neutral safety switch that you can wire in so you can't start the car unless the transmission is in neutral.
Good luck with the swap,one the best upgades I've ever done.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB70 View Post
David, I hope it's just the way I'm seeing your pics, but I hope you got the weight of the car on jackstands & concrete. #1 rule. Hope I'm not being a d--- , just sayin.
No no, I understand and appreciate. It's sitting on the jackstands and then some rock hard Southern Yellow Pine and then concrete. The pine is so hard the weight of the car on the jackstands makes little imprint in the wood. It's solid. Rube Goldberg, but solid.
Then I have wood stacked up under the front tires just in case one of the stands fail and I also have a 6X6 wedged under the rear.
I hate working under a car............

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 03-16-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 AM

Any progress updates?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last night I took the cover plate from around the steering column base and cut a hole in it for the clutch master cylinder to pass through. That removal was another experience in working through wires and in tight spaces. On my car the master cylinder appears to want to slide through the firewall from the inside and uses the same three mounting holes that held that side of the cover plate.. The plate was originally held in with sheet metal screws and I drilled all that out and will use the hex head bolts/nuts that Keisler supplied. I also swapped out the OEM speedometer cable with a unit designed to fit the TKO on one end and the GTO on the other.

One thing I find myself doing is constantly stopping to put things up. I end up with so many tools lying around that I have to clean up before I mess up again.....I can't find anything until I do. What I need is always somewhere else...under the car, in the car or on the workbench....in a pile.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coverplatehole.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	278584   Click image for larger version

Name:	mess3:17.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	278585  

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 03-17-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a pistol lying on the bench.....can you find it?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
There is a pistol lying on the bench.....can you find it?
behind the vise. Tell me what I've won, Johnny

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I managed to get done yesterday is attaching the fluid reservoir to the firewall. I put it behind the brake booster, above where the clutch master cylinder comes through the firewall.
My pedals shipped on the 15th. I should get them soon. They'll need a bit of sanding/painting and rebushing and then I should be able to start putting that end of the project back together.

Another thing I'm going to do is get the TKO out of it's box and put it side to side with the Turbo 400. Try to get the input and output of both at the same height for some comparison photo's of the size.

In thinking over the install of my hydraulics I've begun to realize that there will be no way to install the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder/throw-out bearing after I install the trans into the bellhousing. Keilser already has the slave installed on the input shaft of the TKO and I'd like to leave it and to install the hydraulics and bleed them a more traditional way...in the car.

I'm new to this manual transmission / clutch thing and I've never seen or read of this being done but......

Is it possible to attach the bellhousing to a manual transmission and then install that as a unit on to the already installed flywheel/pressure plate/clutch? If I can do that I can attach the hyd line to the slave from the front and feed it out the fork hole on the bellhousing.

Last edited by David Jones; 03-18-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suggest you pay a visit to Keilser's web site. They advertise the throw out bearing as Single line with integrated bleeder.
http://keislerauto.com/gm/camaro-fir...ypage_acc.html

Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you mind taking more pix of the master bracket?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I suggest you pay a visit to Keilser's web site. They advertise the throw out bearing as Single line with integrated bleeder.
http://keislerauto.com/gm/camaro-fir...ypage_acc.html
I know what it is....I have one.
The slave is right up against the transmission and the "window" in the bellhousing is inches closer to the engine. No way to start or tighten the single line with integrated bleeder, if you could start it, unless you come in from the front of the bellhousing. Keisler has a video (3 actually) of the bench bleeding process and THEN installing it. IF I can install the bellhousing and transmission as a unit, I think I'm ahead.

Can that be done?

Scarebird, you need a better/closer picture of the master cylinder bracket, similar to the one I posted earlier as it sat in the vice? No problem. Particular angle you're interested in seeing?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, where the master mounts. our setup may work fine but always look at other designs...

Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll get a couple after I get back from church.

I looked again at the relationship between where the hyd line/slave cylinder is and the clutch fork window.....I might be able to start and tighten the line with the driveline installed.....I'll check as I mock it up. That's one I'd hate to mess up.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was the very issue why I decided to use a external slave. Ford to my knowledge uses a quickie pushlock fitting on the throwout bearing - and IIRC Keisler uses a Ford bearing also though rigged differently.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave,one question?With the mech linkage avail for the car and from owning 2 of them why hyd clutch?I have done 3 diff hyd clutches and would not do them if proper mech linkage was avil.Just too much labor involved IMO.Tom

Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, this seemed to be the easiest way to go...and in theory, it should be. Going from an auto trans I had none of the mechanical linkage. I'll figure it out, I'm not the 1st one to do this.....

Scarebird, these pictures help? The black flange of the master will mount between the OEM bracket you see it attached to and the firewall...and the master itself will poke through the firewall.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket1.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	278708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket2.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	278709  

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

not really - need the master side of things - seeing how they mounted the Wilwood master..

Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More Better?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket3.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	278710  

Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's the ticket - thx.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yes, the bellhousing can be mounted to the tranny then mounted to the motor, thats the only way i install them.

put the line on the slave cylinder then through the window in the bellhousing. bleeding it is simple as can be and only takes a few minutes, nothing to worry about there.