Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM

Default door panel removal

Can anyone give advise on how to release the upper portion of the door panel on a 74 Trans Am? I have everything else loose, but can't seem to get upper top part off. I don't want to pull to hard on it for fear of damaging it! Car has deluxe interior if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never pulled a door panel on a car that new but all my 60's and early 70's had clips (one toward the front and one toward the rear) that hold the top of the door panel properly against the window. You should be able to push the top of the door panel toward the window and down and it should get free from the clips, and then you can pull it straight up while continuing to push toward the window.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Default remove

Remove the 2 screws at each end of the panal , then make sure the screws behind the door handle is off & remove the the piece behind the door handle, then just lift up aas it is being held down by the channal that runs along the window. It's kind of tight, but just lift up by wiggleing it & it will come. Also make sure the window is down as the pressure of the window will make it even harder to come of because the window is pushing back on the inside sill strip of the inside panal.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Thanks for your help! Was able to get it off with your info. Tim