Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 08-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Default 1968 GTO seat covers

Replacing my interior with PUI interior kit. Started on the back lower and the cotton looks to be in good shape. Wondering if I should reuse it? Should I go the hobby store and get some foam 1 1/2" or 2"? Should I put some foam on top of the cotton? My first time doing this so any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recovered both my front and rear seats and have plenty of cotton left over from Legendary Interiors.. I see you live in MN as I am too. I'd sell very reasonable. PM me.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:37 PM

PM sent, thanks

Old 08-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not add foam, the issue is getting the covers to fit correctly and not show any edges of the added foam. You can try to add some under the original foam, but it still is not easy to get the cover to fit properly.

Shaping the foam is not that easy. You can trim it with a razor knife, and sand it with an angle grinder with a coarse sanding disk, but unless you've done it before, it can take multiple attempts, it takes practice for good results. Kitchen electric carving knives don't work, I've tried. Hot knives make a mess, and create 'crusty' areas.

The replacement foam 'kits' are only shaped 'in general', better than starting from scratch, but they are more geared towards chevys, and still take considerable work.

Unless something is over-compressed, deteriorated, missing, or falling apart, don't change it. That's my personal opinion and suggestion for 1st timers.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the info. So far the cotton s in good shape and the covers are fitting good. Might pick up some cotton just incase.