The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Same ol story

I posted just about the same issues I have had with three body shops my car is sitting in the garage now and I am doing all the interior paint and eng compartment I spent a crapload of money for a crapload of excuses the last shop came highly recommended and same ol story my body guy is a coke head shows up when he need the cash for more drugs I pushed him to get my car done and ended up with a 20 ft paint job I spent 3k just for a finish paint job after spending 15k at 2 other shops for the metal work. Never in my life have I heard so many excuses dog died been sick workers quit Santa never came I waited 6 weeks to get it wet sanded and buffed and it never was done parts started to disappear and another car at the shop went missing I finally got the car outta there and now am stuck with a **** job and no cash to do it again .I was not looking for a bargain just a decent paint job I should have just done it myself it's been just over 2 years and I'm still sick about it anyone close to Brandon Fla want to help an ol guy out with paint work..

Old 11-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry to hear about that sounds similar, this guy does good work but he wants more money so he says but but I,m not handing anymore until its in the primer stage like he promised so has a clear understanding thats notta my problem. He says next time he takes a job like mine he will want $ every week to help keep the job flowing and my wife ask him so you think someone will give you $ when you arnt doing any work on their car and again we ask him why did you take so long to get going on our car when we paid you a third up front and its been your fault so stop crying and get it in primer then we will talk mo $ I know how things roll he spends my $ then he looks at my car like he aint gettin paid cause he already spent it and wants more well aint happening gee i will be glad when its all in primer and guide coated cause i may just pull it out and say piss on him I,ll paint it.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default WELL put

I agree with you they burn your money and act like they are working on your car for free it really sucks to see other cars come and go and yours still sitting there. I am sick over the quality of paint job that he did keeps telling me he can fix it but I don want an inch of paint on the car. Allot of guys assume you are a lowballer but I paid the guy what he asked for and then some .Next time I will paint it myself I know I could have done just as good

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Suspended

>I agree with you they burn your money and act like they are working on your car for free<

That’s exactly what’s going on. He thinks he's working on it for free, so you need to square up the bill, get your car out of there, and pick up where he left off.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GTO badge placement.

Anyone out there willing to take a few measurements I am starting to reassemble my car after repainting it I had to use 67 fenders and they don't have the holes for the emblems I don't want to guess at them I also need the rear quarter emblem placements as I have new qtrs. and no holes I'd feel pretty stoopit if I put them in the wrong place..

Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are my 68 in the same areas I could take pics for you.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyx234 View Post
Are my 68 in the same areas I could take pics for you.
Thanks Pugs but no they are different have pictures and approximate location just wanted to be more precise.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=646827

Old 12-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The body shop signed paperwork saying my car will be done by Dec 16 or he will take off 200 a week thats its not, well its not and its going into the second 200.00 bucks that he will take off. Heres the gig he asked me because its been so cold here if i would forgive the first 200, I didnt give an answer cause i dont want any more friction but i really want to hold him accountable since he took my car in on 7/26 and told us 8-10 weeks and its been 5 months am I being selfish? Please drop a line on your thoughts. Woody

Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Certainly not a man of his word is he?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got lucky and found a local guy that has a 1 stall shop and a long waiting list. He does great work, works his tail off and if you don't pay as you go, he pushes your car outside and goes on to the next guy with cash. If you jerk him around, you'll be getting your car at whatever stage you quit paying. It's a simple but effective routine.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default forgiving $200

Quote:
The body shop signed paperwork saying my car will be done by Dec 16 or he will take off 200 a week thats its not, well its not and its going into the second 200.00 bucks that he will take off. Heres the gig he asked me because its been so cold here if i would forgive the first 200, I didnt give an answer cause i dont want any more friction but i really want to hold him accountable since he took my car in on 7/26 and told us 8-10 weeks and its been 5 months am I being selfish? Please drop a line on your thoughts. Woody
No, you're not being selfish holding him to his end of the bargain. That being said, it might be more beneficial to forgive it because if you don't he might cut a corner or two (dont know where in the process he is exactly, but it's possible to cut a corner or two at virtually any stage of the game). Sometimes pragmatism pays. If you decide to forgive the first $200, I would certainly stress the fact to him that you are doing so in good faith, that you expect him to "go the extra mile" in finishing your car to the absolute best of his ability.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Its a bad sign when you have to go VISIT your car at the body shop! Sometimes the mention of court/better business bureau may get results,but what kind of result can not be determined.they might just slap some bondo and paint on it just to get it out the door!

Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I didnt give the shop an answer yet just for that reason of him not doing a good job I am a forgiving person but this has been dragging on and he has been calling all the shots until the deadline of the Dec 16 was signed, I realized he only likes fast insurance $$$$.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear about your continued woes with the body shop, if you were if Florida Id be glad to help you out. Hope you get it resolved and get your car soon.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I didnt give the shop an answer yet just for that reason of him not doing a good job I am a forgiving person but this has been dragging on and he has been calling all the shots until the deadline of the Dec 16 was signed, I realized he only likes fast insurance $$$$.
......so what does he tell the insurance co. when it gets cold, do they have to wait for the weather to warm up too?

It may be to early to say anything about the deductions to him, he sounds like the type that just can't keep a commitment. If you forgive to $200 now what's to stop him from asking for it again week after week? You may want to wait and see how the end quality of the work is AND how much longer it takes him. If no corners are cut & it's only a few extra weeks you might just be glad to get your car back. Now if it turns into another 2 months I'd certainly deduct the money from his final bill.

The Following User Says Thank You to steve v For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree sometimes we all to be motivated and $ does it huh!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pugs,

I hope this is a reputable shop that has been in your area for some time. If not, you risk a guy that can't pay his bills, shop gets locked and you lose your car because its tied up with the landlord. It happens often in this business. It sounds like you are doing what you can to mitigate that risk but I would be dropping in quite a bit, unannounced of course, to make sure things are moving.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow Ponchjoe your words are wise. I have seen his work at our local car club outings and talked to a few before I hired him but I never seen this coming, I've popped in a few times and seen progress and met the landlord he is a looooong time truck/car guy its just been a pain in my a$$. Thanks to all I,m gonna sneak out there today and look/take a few pics on my phone. Woody/pugs

Old 12-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I took a little cruise out there on Monday but he wasnt there so this next Monday if its not done it will be 600.00 off the bill. I wish I,d made this agreement way back in July and I like this motivational technique. Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year.