THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default BEST swap meet deal..

I'm bored, and thinking how close swap meet season is (2 big ones here in 2 weeks)and thinking back about some of the good deals i got..

Time to brag..jump in..I'll start...

All at one swap meet..The Lawrence KS meet, prob 97ish..

A farmer had an old table of stuff, and looking around i saw some GTO stuff,,i started putting it in a pile, and the 2 best things in the deal..66 Rally 1 for 2 bux...66 Hurst shifter 4 bux..

walked across the fairgrounds and laying on the ground was an NOS Ram 4 carb shroud...a bunch of drunken Vette guys where being butt holes, and harassing every one...

i pointed to the shroud and the biggest drunkest of the group said "WHAT?" i said how much..he said "FOR WHAT?"..i pointed again..he said "the grass is free man"...and just belly rolled a laff that stopped everyone...i said "no for that carb thing'..he said "the black one?" it was the only air cleaner on the ground..i said "yeah..that one"..he said "ya know what that thing fits?" i said "yes..do you?"..he said.."hey i asked you first"..i said "i dunno what is it for?" and he said.."its for a car man" and belly laffed again...i said "OK..how much for the car air cleaner"..he said.."can ya afford $35 bux?" paid him and walked off....that was back when no repops..still had the sticker...and was a 70 Ram IV shroud..i laffed all the way home...

the same year went to the Shriners in Kansas City at the dog track..and laying on the ground was an NOS fiber optic set for a 69 Camaro, Chevelle convertible..all of it...i almost passed out...$150....

Same meet..3 isles down..an NOS TI system with everything in the box, including a distrib for $40...no one knew what it was...all i knew it had a 9777 turned out to be a 64 part number..knew it was Pontiac an took it home...

same meet..ready to go home..and laying on a hood of an old chevy truck was an NOS 69 GTO front valance..had the part number in yellow ink and a black and white sticker..$25 bux.....

same meet 65-66 Big pontiac 4 speed change over..all of it trans shifter everything..$250...then had to carry it out..waited and hour for the parts drivers to come and they never came...learned a lesson..either make sure the parts drivers are there..or make the guy helps carry it out..lol..before ya pay

same year..move it to Indy..and at the Hoosier meet..i got an NOS 65 GTO fender.for $200.a 65 NOS in the freakin box, AM-FM GTO radio for $150, and 15 nos 64-65 convertible switches..all in boxes..one guy...$5 each...yes 15 switches...waaay before they ever thought about repopping them..lol

there used to be soooo much NOS stuff at the KC meets..and Indy

and in the same year, 4-66 tripowers...2 in 1 day at 2 diff swap meets in KC..200 for the first..225 for the second..both complete and correct..one had Cali emissions stuff....cant even remember how many 65-66 tripower bare intakes and nail head dual quad intakes..all at around $125 to $150 a piece....good times..

best hits i've made, nothing as good since..ahhh...the good ole days

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1985. Purchased back the T-37 for $200 and then sold the engine/trans for $200 (307/PG) . So got it back for free. Best deal ever!! Purchased the original WC 455HO engine for $200. Probably the best deals I ever got. 12 bolt was still in it. Found original M-22. Just gotta get it from the guy.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to get it back running Jack!

Set of service dated RA II heads, Stafford Springs Fall swap meet 1991 or 92 - $200. I was by myself and carried BOTH of them out of the track to my truck before the sun came up. There was no way I was leaving one of them there!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=669884

^^^^^ My Ultimate Swap Meet Find ^^^^^

Also, About 1996-97 at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds Swap when they had it inside the racetrack a guy had a 65-66 GTO 4spd console. Real nice shape. Asked what he wanted and he replied "make an offer" (I hate when guys do that) so I said I dunno what it's worth, it's your part, you brought to sell right? Finally after a few more rounds of back and forth he crumples his beer can and says "gimme 20 bucks for it" so I did.

Cleaned it up and had it on ebay a week later. Hammered for $700. Ahh yes the good old days.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had picked up two original unrestored 5 on 4-3/4" HURST wheels for $ 50.00 each and the guy was firm on his price so I said, that's fair. There was no price on them when I inquired, he said he was firm and I asked what that number was, thus the $ 50.00, and then he said EACH almost to scare me off. That has been my most vivid memory.

Tim john---

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default swappin'

7027263 carb - guy was asking $75, but got it for $65

Pair of nice, complete 7F6 heads - $500 (like Chris, had to carry one in each arm out of the swap so they didn't get away. Think my arms grew by an inch that day, LOL)

KR Rally II wheel - had to buy it with 2 other "standard" Rallys - all 3 for $80

'70 T/A dash bezel, nice, non-air - $20. Guy said to make him an offer

Traded a 3.23, 10 bolt posi for a 3.73, 12 bolt COZ posi - even up. He wanted a more highway-friendly gear.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, a single 722 head for $75!

These were all years ago; don't find as many deals these days...

Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have had many but a favorite was when we were setting up a Portland in the mid 90's or so, the guy next to us had already setup, covered up his stuff and left. As I was placing a table next to his table, I bumped it pretty hard and a wheel rolled under the table and hit me in the ankle, wheel still under his tarp. I kicked it back and the da**ed wheel rolled back and hit me again in the ankle. This time I lifted th tarp to lay the wheel flat and it was a Hurst wheel with trim ring. I kinda hid the wheel and 1st thing the next day when the guy showed up, how much? He said do you want the other one also? AAAAAhhhhh, yea. $60. or so for both as I remember. No arguing on my end.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We went to the Hoosier swap meet for many years, when it was at the Indy track. When they moved it to the Marion County Fairgrounds, we attended a few times, but it wasn't the same.

Bought a NOS 53 Studebaker C/K fender, for $100.00 in a pouring rain. Late 90's. Same meet, bought a 55 gallon drum full of Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Mechanic's Illustrated, etc, from the 40's thru the 60's for $5.00.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My best deal was when I bought a $10.00 hamburger and the vendor gave me a large drink for the medium price!

Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the following for $100:

73 nose including the grills, mounting brackets, headlight brackets and bezels
73 Parking lights and bezels
73 Alternator
73 Rear bumper with bumper guards

PLUS:

76 Shaker including the base for the grand total of........ free.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ebay - several years ago, when you actually had time to browse a section without doing a search. Title said aluminum one barrel carburetor with an opening bid of $25.. OK, it probably is either an old Ford T Air Friction (virtually worthless) or a Marvel Schebler type U from a John Deere combine (equally worthless). Clicked on the auction, did a double take, and threw a thousand dollar bid on it, knowing I would be outbid immediately. Next day, only my bid; three days later, same thing. Now at the last day of the auction, now the heavy hitters will come in. Nope, auction ended at $25.00 and about a week later received a really nice "left" to complement a "right" that I already had for a 1931 Cadillac V-16.

There have been others like a 1931 Stutz carb (tagged as Non-Ford) for a dollar at Chickasha, a 1932 Chrysler Imperial carb that I tripped over in the dark at Hershey. Owner was barbequing his supper, and asked if I were hurt. Bought that one for $5. A 1956 Pontiac dual quad setup complete except air cleaner that was advertised as Caddy.

There have been others over the years.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 PM

Smile

I bought an NOS 74 SD455 Quadrajet for $250 back in 92. The guy had about a hundred NOS carbs for $50-$100. He said he knew the SD carb was worth $250. I didn't argue. A local guy bought a 69 Firebird that was geared too low. I traded him a 10 bolt 2.56 open rearend for a 12 bolt Posi with original GM 4.11 gears dated 12 66. The rearend I traded for it was given to me by a guy that was tired of tripping over it in his garage. Since Ebay, swap meet finds are nearly nonexistent in my area. You can go as far back in the woods as you can drive, come across a guy living in an old rotted down mobile home, spot a 64 Impala SS hubcap laying in his yard, ask if it is for sale, and the guy can tell you what it will bring on Ebay!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best deal I ever got was when I bought 4 original hurst trim rings off a guy(they were mint) for 400 dollars and then the guy said to me now would you like to buy the wheels they were on? I said sure, how much? He said give me another 800 for them and I'll give the caps and everything for them. I said yes. We met in a McDonald's the next weekend and he showed up with a station wagon. When I walked over to him he said hey I brought some more wheels for you to take a look at. He had 8 more hurst rims and 6 extra caps. I told him I wish he would have told me he was bringing them because I only brought the other 800 I owed him and he said I don't want anymore money! I'm just happy your taking them all out of my garage. I sold the other wheels for 2 grand and still have my mint set complete for free. Love telling that story.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ram4king For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Walking the swap meet at last Spring's Charlotte AutoFair (come on Spring!)- way back in the rear outside parking lot. Looking for Firebird parts and not finding much. Passed a couple of guys in their spaces already into the Lite Beer at 10am. Did a double take and walked back to see a vintage Becker Mexico Am/Fm radio in a cute bakelite speaker enclosure. Picked it up and one guy says: "Before you ask, we have no idea what that fits." I asked for a price and they called the owner who had wandered off into the track. He answers and says he's "asking $25". I offer $20 and they jump up to grab the $$$. One guy says: "Hey, that's tonight's beer money". I thanked them and walked off with my "find". My 15-year old says:"Which of our american muscle cars does that fit?" I said:"The one called Ebay". Got home and the radio plays great, turns out to be from a '63-'65 Mercedes. The cute bakelite speaker enclosure turns out to be much older- like a '59-'60 Mercedes sedan. We separated the two and the radio sells for about $400 and the speaker enclosure goes to the United Arab Emirates for about $150. Kid stopped laughing about buying "strange crap". One $20 purchase covered the whole 3-day trip.
Better lesson than he would have learned at high school that day- don't you think?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie-reddy View Post
Walking the swap meet at last Spring's Charlotte AutoFair (come on Spring!)- way back in the rear outside parking lot. Looking for Firebird parts and not finding much. Passed a couple of guys in their spaces already into the Lite Beer at 10am. Did a double take and walked back to see a vintage Becker Mexico Am/Fm radio in a cute bakelite speaker enclosure. Picked it up and one guy says: "Before you ask, we have no idea what that fits." I asked for a price and they called the owner who had wandered off into the track. He answers and says he's "asking $25". I offer $20 and they jump up to grab the $$$. One guy says: "Hey, that's tonight's beer money". I thanked them and walked off with my "find". My 15-year old says:"Which of our american muscle cars does that fit?" I said:"The one called Ebay". Got home and the radio plays great, turns out to be from a '63-'65 Mercedes. The cute bakelite speaker enclosure turns out to be much older- like a '59-'60 Mercedes sedan. We separated the two and the radio sells for about $400 and the speaker enclosure goes to the United Arab Emirates for about $150. Kid stopped laughing about buying "strange crap". One $20 purchase covered the whole 3-day trip.
Better lesson than he would have learned at high school that day- don't you think?

That's the best lesson to learn! Always keep your eye out, and have a broad knowledge of things that pertain to your hobby.

Plus: Find people who don't know what they have

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple of years ago.....a buddy bought a '70 Ram Air 4 speed carb for $40 at the Portland swap meet.....he ended up selling it for $3800 on ebay.

About 7-8 years ago I picked up a set of Dayton wire wheels off a Jaguar XJ for $50 at the Turlock swap meet... Took them home...cleaned them up....stuck them on ebay with a $250 starting bid......they ended up selling for $1,100

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

carlisle at a ford seller, got two boxed sets of GM Vigilite ( fiber optics) Deal install kits for '68-'69 Camaro Convertible for 50 bucks each......I was a happy camper

Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM

As GTO John and I walking down an aisle at a swap a couple years ago, there is a muscle Mopar (GTX?) coming in on a trailer. I watch it coming towards us. John slides to the left to walk over to a table. I keep watching this car coming towards us and I look over and see John handing the guy a $10.
Whatcha buy I says.
Just a carb he says.
I see it has a round id tag I says.
Yeah. It ends in 7263 he says.
You know I need one of those I says.
I know... 300 he says.
Mopar did it to me again.

Best recent find for me was 1969 GTO NOS Delco Remy regulator in the box. Had to give $2 I think.

That clean 4 speed Hurst Competition shifter for $5 was pretty good too. No stick or rods though.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 black goat View Post
As GTO John and I walking down an aisle at a swap a couple years ago, there is a muscle Mopar (GTX?) coming in on a trailer. I watch it coming towards us. John slides to the left to walk over to a table. I keep watching this car coming towards us and I look over and see John handing the guy a $10.
Whatcha buy I says.
Just a carb he says.
I see it has a round id tag I says.
Yeah. It ends in 7263 he says.
You know I need one of those I says.
I know... 300 he says.
Mopar did it to me again.

Best recent find for me was 1969 GTO NOS Delco Remy regulator in the box. Had to give $2 I think.

That clean 4 speed Hurst Competition shifter for $5 was pretty good too. No stick or rods though.
Didn't know you needed a 7027263. Just had another one at Fall Jefferson 2013 and was one row over from you guys! Was a nice, clean, original carb too.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1979--I was restoring my first GTO (after the teenage years of owning them) and looking for parts at the Charlotte meet at the race track in the spring. I find a set of Rally Gauges, but the right gauge pod has the clock instead of the two gauges. I forget what I pay, but it's not much. Later on in the year their is another, much smaller swap meet in Charlotte at the fairgrounds. I'm going through all the vendors small boxes and wa-la!, I find the missing gauge pod. I happily give him his $5 asking price.

Another one--This has to be around 1990 or so. Swap meet at the fairgrounds in Marietta, GA and there is a red 67 GTO pulled in a swap meet space on a trailer with the rear end facing out. As I walk by I notice it is dirty with whitewall tires and Rally I wheels. Not very appealing at all. I start walking around the car and notice a few paint chips, and then I open the door. It is absolutely immaculate on the inside. Although the red interior has no console and it has the automatic on the column, it looks like no one has ever sit in it. I hang around for a while and no one shows up.

I make a lap and when I come back they are reading to leave. As I talk with the guy, he tells me I'm the only guy to even ask about the car all day. They are selling it to settle his mother in law's estate. She had bought the car new and it had only 29,000 original miles. All the original paperwork, along with the protect o plate was still in the glove box. The original exhaust was still on the car, but it needed mufflers and tailpipes. Under the hood was untouched. I paid him a $500 deposit on the spot and then picked it up later in the week and paid the $5000 balance. A set of redline tires, some exhaust work, a a couple of weeks of extensive cleaning and the car was stunning! I sold it to a friend for $12,500 and thought I had hit a home run.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT