Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Default trying to understand the coil

I got a 64Catalina, with a 389. I can't get it to start, and get no spark out of the coil tothe distributor, SO I believe the problem is the coil. I have asked other questions to do with this problem, and in researching on line I have tried to understand how the coil works, and this is what I came up with on a basic's site : When you insert the key in the ignition switch and turn the key to the Run position, you are sending current from the battery through a wire directly to the positive (+) side of the ignition coil. Inside the coil is a series of copper windings that loop around the coil over a hundred times before exiting out the negative (-) side of the coil. From there, a wire takes this current over to the distributor and is connected to a special on/off switch, called the points.

here is my questions: how does the (+) get to the coil?? my coil has two screw terminals, one on each side of the coil wire tothe dist. one goes to the points, the other dissajpears into a taped harness, which i asume must go to the positive (+), could my problem be in this connection? maybe my coil is good, and the (+) to coil wire is bad? I ask this becuase I have been thinking my coil was bad.

Also, i am confused on which is primary and secondary, one picture says the two screw on the sides are the primary, the larger wire on the top goes to the dist cap and is called the secondary, but then on another sites picture, they have them reversed?? so which is it?? the first way correct??

Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like your on track. If you have volt/ohm meter you can do some simple tests. You should be getting battery voltage to the + side of the coil with the key on. You should also be able to measure a low resistance between the + and - on the coil.

I have seen some good trouble shooting of the point system on Youtube. FYI

Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Default will give a try

well thanks for thetip on how to check the coil, i will try it next.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure there is no voltage on the coil when you measure the resistance. Otherwise it is a good way to blow a meter.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 PM

Default juice tothe coil

So I should disconnect the battery? or just do not turn the key to the run position?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the run position of the switch the voltage at the + side of the coil should be a little less than battery voltage. In that position the power goes through a resistance wire. In the start position you should have full battery voltage as that goes through a regular wire.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's how to check the coil:

disconnect the (_) terminal of the coil from the distribitor, unplug the high voltage wire from the center tower of the coil.

Take one of the spark plug wires along with a spark plug, insert it into the coil center tower lay the metal shell of the spark plug on to the engine bare metal.

Connect a jumper wire from the battery (+) to the coil (+) terminal.

Take a second jumper, connect one end to engine bare metal, and then connect the other end to the coil (-) for a second or two then remove.

When you remove the wire jumper, the spark plug should spark if the coil is good. Remove the jumper from the coil(-) terminal.

If the coil is good, make sure that the proper wires are connected to the coil (+) terminal. using a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the coil (+) to engine metal with the key on, you should have about 12 volts. Measure again with the key in the start position. You should also have 12 volts.

If you still get no spark after replacing the wiring, and the above tests show good, the problem may be the wire to the distributor from the coil (-), or the points are not adjusted correctly.

George