OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2019, 03:45 PM

Default Sprint head/cam/intake questions

New to the OHC world with my 68 firebird.

I just rebuilt my stock 1 BBL head and hope to fire the car up soon. Not fun setting a 6 cyl head back on a car by yourself...

I'd like a little more performance than the stock 1bbl can provide.

There's so many little bits and pieces of info out there I'm trying to string together some options.

Due to reading a lot of negative info on wait time and losing manifold jigs, etc, I'd like to avoid clifford at this time.

My questions:

The most important is, is it even worth going to a 4bbl with a stock cam (which if I understand right, I would also need the double valve spring for the 4 barrel, sprint cam, and followers?) I don't wish to do all that work again (wish I had found out about the springs, etc earlier.) Going from a 2V to a 4v on my 65 Mustang's 289 made it an entirely different car, but I don't know much about these motors yet.

I thought I've read the intakes are car specific? Like A vs F body and there might be a difference between the 66-67 230 and 68-69 250 intakes? Is the difference just linkages or is there an actual difference in the intake castings?

Can I buy a sprint intake and use an aftermarket header? Or do I need the sprint exhaust manifold too? I've seen where there is a gasket that's supposed to go between the two?

Any special parts I need to find (like funky linkages) if I find one on ebay, etc?

Thanks for any help, I've spent most of my time in the ford and GM small block world. I did as much as I could with searching this site, another, and google

Last edited by sixty8coupe; 01-07-2019 at 03:54 PM.