Old 12-08-2022, 03:41 PM

Default Wiring kit for a Catalina?

Anyone see any of these online? tried Ebay and no luck. Wanted to re-wire my 63 Catalina from back to front. Didn't want to have to buy multiple spindles of wire to get this done.

Old 12-08-2022, 06:13 PM

I think Ames has complete wiring for your 63.

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesq For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 08:17 PM

Try M&H wiring.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

M&H, just do it

Old 12-09-2022, 09:02 AM

M & H will be able to supply some of your harnesses, BUT they will need a GOOD fuse block and GOOD engine and forward lamp harness bulkhead connectors at a minimum to build the harnesses.

The Following User Says Thank You to madeuce50 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the fuse block for my 62 re-wired and it all works great. There are only a few separate harnesses available new for these cars.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:30 AM

Have you tried American Autowire? Suggest calling & talking to the sales rep.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:34 PM
Senior Chief

I own a '64 GP and I have looked a lot into this issue. There's only two routes for our cars of this era.

You buy a new, replica harness from M&H (or a company like it) but you have to reuse your fuse block. Cross your fingers that the original fuse block is in good enough shape to be reused.

Or you get a generic harness from American Autowire, Painless, etc. for a GM car or hot rod harness and you wire the car yourself.

Both options aren't great and have pros and cons. I'm going the American Autowire route because I don't want to reuse my original fuse block (not sure it's in good enough shape anyway) and I want the safety and flexibility of a new fuse block with modern micro blade fuses. Also working with the American Autowire harness is quite a bit less expensive than buying every part of the factory harness from M&H.

It would be awesome if a company like American Autowire or Painless made a harness for our cars like they do for the first and second gen Camaros, etc. and more popular cars, but we're Darksiders, remember?

The Following User Says Thank You to AZ64GP For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 09:03 PM

This is interesting to know. Obvious to have issues like this. Not sure which route is best as I never tested a fuse block before. I will check out MH first and see if Autowire is needed. I would rather do a. plug and play than an attempt re-wiring.

Also, im only seeing wiring kits for engine and dash. was hoping to find brake/reverse/tail light wires as well.

Last edited by GruntedCatalina; 12-11-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your fuse block is either broken or its OK, there's really no in between. The fuse holders get replaced too.
Bakelite plastic is pretty durable.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Your fuse block is either broken or its OK, there's really no in between. The fuse holders get replaced too.
Bakelite plastic is pretty durable.
Yeah everything works. I was more so thinking to be ahead of the game and just start with tail light wires and work forward in replacing the basic stuff.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:47 PM

You might check out Rebel Wire as well. I have heard good things about them on other Chevy message board forum sites and was going to use them for a 1950 Chevy, but never got around to it before selling. They make all their harnesses at their Tennessee location I believe.

The Following User Says Thank You to kpbrown31 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrown31 View Post
You might check out Rebel Wire as well. I have heard good things about them on other Chevy message board forum sites and was going to use them for a 1950 Chevy, but never got around to it before selling. They make all their harnesses at their Tennessee location I believe.

thank you. I will. check them out. TN is just north of me. lets hope they are near the border.