Old 10-18-2019, 10:12 PM

Default Best 69 reproduction rear wing

Hello forum members,

I need a new reproduction rear wing for my convertible restomod. I has one from years back that ended up showing a fine crack on the leading edge after paint.

Who makes the best reproduction? I read the Tamraz wings were good, parts place not so much.

Any insights would be much appreciated, thanks, David

Old 10-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Senior Chief

I got mine from Firebird Central.

Found the same "hairline / fine crack" located driver side, semi-mid span, rear facing. It is small, ~ 3/4" long, but did need fixing. Likely a mold issue; thin spot. I caught that but the primary work involved the stands. The did not match side to side. See email to them below. I remedied it and it came out fine. Definitely not a straight bolt-on deal but also not overly difficult to fix. Come to expect such these days with aftermarket vs OEM.

I would not hesitate to buy again. Great guys to work with.

Email to supplier: ""I got the spoiler and mocked it up yesterday. All looks decent considering the relative cost and rarity compared to an OEM version. One issue though. The vertical stand on the my Driver's side is 3/8" too tall (these were pre-installed BTW if that helps). This makes the spoiler crooked when viewed from the rear but also the distance from the top of the rear quarter panel is too high on the same side (drivers). The stands look the same side to side. Is there a way to get another passenger side stand and I will return the drivers side?

I ask as one cannot lengthen the short one. While it would make it straight versus the other side, it would result in the whole spoiler being too high referencing the quarter panels. In turn, I cannot shorten the Driver's side as there is not enough "meat"; runs into the fasteners (bottom side) or the contoured scallops (top side).

I hope this makes sense. I can call if that helps explain it.

Thank you.

PS: I understand there is probably not a Driver"s and Passenger's side to the vertical stands as they come from the supplier. Saying that, they do need to match though. Both need to be the shorter version (in my example the Passenger side).""

71 Firebird
69 Firebird
The Following User Says Thank You to hojs69 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Tamraz sales folks blatantly lied to me and refused to honor their sale price on several items I purchased. Therefore, I will never use or recommend anyone use them.

The Following User Says Thank You to RAJ7395 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ7395 View Post
The Tamraz sales folks blatantly lied to me and refused to honor their sale price on several items I purchased. Therefore, I will never use or recommend anyone use them.
The Parts Place sold me junk and wouldn't take it back either. Years later I needed a face for some Rally Gauges and took another shot... the numbers on the face were inverted. I asked them for a correct face and said I'd post negative if they didn't fix it. They turned me into eBay claiming I was extorting them so eBay didn't post my negative feedback. Fool me twice shame on me.

I thought The Parts Place and Tamraz were the same?

Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, no replacing the Generals original parts (although 50 years later you’d think the technology would catch us up) . I may give firebird central a go. Any other feedback on the wing itself?

Old 10-22-2019, 01:48 AM
Senior Chief

If addressed to me, the wing itself was fine EXCEPT that hairline crack. Look for it and repair before paint.

Hope these pics help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5229 (2).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	522649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5230.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	522650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5231.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	522651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5220.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	522652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5226.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	522653  

71 Firebird
69 Firebird
Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM

I've come across 3 Trans Am reproduction spoilers.

The one from AMES I bought 5 years was fiberglass over foam, and has the correct looking pedestals. But sagged poorly out of the box. Needs work to be be flat and straight. Suggest putting a surfboard type stringer in it to help keep form.

The one from The Parts Place I got last year is nice. Plastic. But pedestals are thick and not like original. Was a simple prime and paint. Looks great out of the box. But after a few hundred miles driving on it, the wind from 100+mph runs made it start sagging some.

Classic Industries that a friend bought 10 years ago is much thicker than the others. He has had it for years and so far holds its form perfectly. Nice and flat with no sag. Pedestals were similar to original style too. Just too thick looking for my taste. I need to go see what they are selling today next time I am at their store.

I just wish someone could make one like on a new car's OEM spoiler that has no flex in it all at any speed. Just don't get it why they all are pretty terrible. How hard would it be to mold and make a firm straight one out of the box.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyone wants to do it cheaply. Make it 1k and perfect to last i'll buy one. Crappy parts at a discount are no discount.