Old 12-01-2019, 09:40 AM

Default steering column

I have a 69 Firebird. Going custom on everything. I am not mechanic. Having all work done here in resto shop where I live. I did do some work on car when first got it. I remember talking with camaro/firebird specialties out of new York when I was doing some fixing on column, cant remember name of it, but wire plug half way down column had to be green one, They informed me that the 69 firebird was very particular in several items because of single year car. okay, all this said' I am going with 700r4 automatic car, I want a Natural Stainless, or aluminum color column, not polished or chrome, I have a lot of lokar and ring brothers natural finish items on this car. wondering if this one from Summit would work, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...r-nk/overview/ . I see where the one on mine now is around 33 inches and noticed on classic industries that all for 69 are 33 inches. I see where they also have a flaming river one on summit that is 33 inches , natural stainless but is a couple hundred dollars more, and you have to purchase adapter kit that is $ 300 more. so now looking around $800 for flaming river. Does anybody have information on what I would need to keep it simple and use same wiring, and mounts under dash, I know I would have to replace rag joint with nice stainless u-joint hooking to steering box, and that would be fine. actually look nice. sorry this is so long. if you can help, it would be appreciated. Thanks. Jerry

Old 12-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry,
Are you running a classic drivetrain or going LS? There’s a couple of options for your NSS etc. I am doing the same thing on a 65 GMC right not but it has a Sierra 5.3 and 4l60e.

Joe

Old 12-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have a 350 Chevy block , that is bored out to a 408 Stroker, back when I had the motor built I wanted something unique, it seemed as though 383 was a dime a dozen. The company that built my motor was out of North Carolina called T&L engines. The gentleman that own the company used to be one of the Mechanics for Hendricks Motorsports, who built and maintained Motors or the big dogs, I suppose guys like Jimmy Johnson, Dale Earnhardt jr.,. Of course behind the motor I have a stall converter, and I have a TCI Super Street Fighter 700 R4 Transmission. No driveshaft yet, and then of course a 10 bolt rear end with 373 gears. I am also using a TCI shifter. Let me know if there's anything else I would need to let you know. Thanks

Old 12-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a company that can help: http://www.steeringcolumnpros.com/home.html

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"