Old 03-07-2024, 10:44 AM

Default Instrument Cluster Brace

I am In the process Of reinstalling the instrument cluster In my 67GTO. I have the steering column out of the car, Have Got all the wires and lights and instruments installed in the bezel. The problem is The brace that attaches To the back of the speedometer That Supports And grounds Everything I can't find out Where it attaches to the car! It appears to be positioned where the steering column goes.
Can someone PLEASE tell me where the brace attaches to the dash???

Thanks,
LET

Old 03-07-2024, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 A body dash panel support bracket/ground strap.

The hole that far away end fits into is on the topside of the heavy-duty steel brace that the brake pedal attaches to. The hole is actually oval shaped.

Just FYI: The brace serves 2 purposes, 1) it is a support bracket for the center of the large plastic dash bezel. 2) It is the ground strap for the entire gauge cluster!!

on a 66 or 67 Lemans or GTO There is no ground wire in the dash harness for the gauge cluster.

On 67 only there is one thin black wire in the dash harness but it only grounds the 2 turn signal green "arrow" light-bulbs.

The 1 screw that holds the bracket tight into the oval shaped hole points threads up so you will need to unbolt the steering column bracket and lower the column down about 2 or 2 1/2" inches to get a swivel socket in there.

I do not have a photo of the 67 only brake pedal support but here is a photo of a 66, the oval hole underneath the dash is in approximately the same spot in the thick steel panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66_GTO rally gauges_Ground bracket D2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	630018   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO T-Blue hardtop_Ground bracket_A.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	630019   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO_Dash gauges=Ground bracket_on reverse.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	630020   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 vs 66 dash ground bracket for gauges_3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	630021  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 03-07-2024 at 12:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Serio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 01:19 PM

Default Brace Support

Peter , Thank you so much For your help! I think I can now find the hole. It should be pretty easy since the steering columns out of the car.....By the way, I am Larry from Phoenix. I wanted to tell you That you did 1 heck of a job OnMy instruments. I haven't powered anything up yet I'm still trying to get the stupid cluster back in the dash! Anyway They look awesome And I just wanted to thank you for the work you did. If I ever run across anybody asking what to do with their instruments I'll tell them to call you!!!!

Thanks,
LET

Old 03-07-2024, 05:53 PM

Default Brace pictures

Peter,
The blue line on the brake support points to the hole. I’m supposed to put the screw in for the brace correct?

The picture of the brace as a blue line and a yellow line. The yellow line points to the brace, the blue line points to the column support. The brace goes over top of the column support?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	630034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	630035  

Old 03-08-2024, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the top of the column support. The brace is threaded to accept the hex screw.
When I bought my '67 in 2018. Most items on the dash including wipers would work sometimes. Stepping on the clutch made it better. The bracket was in place, but the screw was missing. That solved everything

Old 03-08-2024, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 ground bracket

Hi Larry, your post #4 photo 1) your blue arrow shows the right slot for the one threaded bolt.

Photo 2) something does not look right to me; it's hard for me to tell judging by the position of the camera, but your bracket seems to be bent downwards much more than it should be. And yes, 100% the brace needs to rest on TOP of the brake pedal bracket!!!

The one screw bolt goes into the slotted hole from underneath and the threads on that bolt point up towards to sky.

(The wrong bend on your bracket seems to be right above the one end where the 2 smaller sized screws attach it to the backside of the speedometer housing.)

Here is a "profile" view of the 67 only (A body) Pontiac ground strap that I am 98% sure is still in it's original shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 GTO_Dash gauges=Ground bracket_A.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	630081   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO_Dash gauges=Ground bracket_B.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	630082   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO rally gauges_ground bracket.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	630084  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 03-08-2024 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2024, 02:30 PM

Default Bracket

Peter, I believe you were right about the Ben being too sharp near the speedometer. I noticed that this morning that it wouldn’t go over top of the steering calm support, so I bent it to straighten it out a little now it fits over the steering column support, and looks like it might line up with the brake bracket. I haven’t tried to fit the brake assembly in yet, it was rusty, so I claimed it up and painted it. Got to wait for the paint to dry to fit it. I hope it works and thank you much to you and Andre for your help! I will let you guys know if it fits.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
The hole that far away end fits into is on the topside of the heavy-duty steel brace that the brake pedal attaches to. The hole is actually oval shaped.

Just FYI: The brace serves 2 purposes, 1) it is a support bracket for the center of the large plastic dash bezel. 2) It is the ground strap for the entire gauge cluster!!

on a 66 or 67 Lemans or GTO There is no ground wire in the dash harness for the gauge cluster.

On 67 only there is one thin black wire in the dash harness but it only grounds the 2 turn signal green "arrow" light-bulbs.

The 1 screw that holds the bracket tight into the oval shaped hole points threads up so you will need to unbolt the steering column bracket and lower the column down about 2 or 2 1/2" inches to get a swivel socket in there.

I do not have a photo of the 67 only brake pedal support but here is a photo of a 66, the oval hole underneath the dash is in approximately the same spot in the thick steel panel.

Peter, I am waiting for some nicer weather, and will install the restored gauge set you did for me , I don't have this bracket that you show , mine is non rally. Do you have a bracket I could buy?

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 03-12-2024, 01:03 AM

Default Bracket

OK guys ,I of finished the dash install today! After i bent the bracket so it would go over the steering column support it lined up perfectly! Thanks Peter I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum.

It took me forever to find all the wiring bugs. Dome light works now, bad connection on one of the jam switches, another problem was the orange double black stripe wire for clock and cigarette lighter, traced back to corrosion at the fuse. If those were actual problem I'm good to go!
Thanks again.
LET