The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-04-2022, 07:26 PM

Default trunk letter retainers

I have the PONTIAC letters that go across the trunk lid on my 55 Chieftain but can't find the clips that go over the back to hold them in place. Not sure if this is the right forum but thought I would ask here first. Does anyone know where I can get these retainers? Not sure if that is the correct word for them.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about 1955 specifically, but on most cars I've seen they used push-on speed nuts on the little pegs on the back of the letters, similar to this. You can probably find suitable replacements in the hardware bins at Ace Hardware.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	583515  

Old 02-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the letters on my 72 firebird for the trunk panel & fender name use a slip on round "thingy" that is a press fit into the holes on the panel. im sure someone else knows the official name for them but they werent the speed nuts shown above, those nuts were used on later mid 70s year emblems, at least for firebirds but i would assume the older letters didnt use them either.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by INchief View Post
I have the PONTIAC letters that go across the trunk lid on my 55 Chieftain but can't find the clips
Please post a pic of one of the letters.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can figure out which style/type of retainer Mr. G's might be able to help;

https://mrgusa.com/fasteners

Old 02-05-2022, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

these are what ive seen on early 70s cars to retain the letters, but not sure if they were used on 50s cars.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/aaa...2&odnBg=FFFFFF

Old 02-05-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
Please post a pic of one of the letters.
OK, I'll get an image and load it

Old 02-05-2022, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
these are what ive seen on early 70s cars to retain the letters, but not sure if they were used on 50s cars.
These "barrel clips" were used by body shops back when there was no access to screw the nuts onto the emblem from behind. We would break the emblems off and put new emblems on with these clips. These retainers made it simple and fast to just push the emblem back into the holes after paint. They just grip the emblem studs really tight. Problem with these on restoration work is, they chip the paint inside the hole which causes rust. They work well and are often the only solution. The nuts work better. But the problem with repop emblems is the studs are few thousandths larger or smaller and the nuts or barrel clips don't fit right. Usually have to modify one or the other.

Last edited by HoovDaddy; 02-05-2022 at 02:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoovDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May be like these. Can be found on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3681ED88-76E3-41EA-8952-4838A71484C1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	583549  

Old 02-05-2022, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another potential source is https://www.clipsandfasteners.com

Old 02-05-2022, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The repop speed nuts suck…don’t ask me how I know this

Old 02-06-2022, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
These "barrel clips" were used by body shops back when there was no access to screw the nuts onto the emblem from behind. We would break the emblems off and put new emblems on with these clips. These retainers made it simple and fast to just push the emblem back into the holes after paint. They just grip the emblem studs really tight. Problem with these on restoration work is, they chip the paint inside the hole which causes rust. They work well and are often the only solution. The nuts work better. But the problem with repop emblems is the studs are few thousandths larger or smaller and the nuts or barrel clips don't fit right. Usually have to modify one or the other.
thanks for the info. so the barrel clips arent factory? i wasnt sure but wanted to mention them. the "firebird" fender emblems on my car used them as well as the rear "pontiac" letters on the rear fiberglass trunk panel. i didnt notice any of the threads the speed nuts cut on any of the letters or the emblems like i have seen on other emblems the speed nuts are used on.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:27 AM

I don’t know of a source. The letters have a flat blade on the back which push into a clip that holds them in place. They aren’t typical posts on the back, but look like a flat blade screwdriver. I had a 55 years ago and couldn’t find a source then.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
I don’t know of a source. The letters have a flat blade on the back which push into a clip that holds them in place. They aren’t typical posts on the back, but look like a flat blade screwdriver. I had a 55 years ago and couldn’t find a source then.
If I can see a pic, something can probably be fabricated.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.pontiacsafari.com has a 1956 master parts catalog. In the 3rd line down click on 1956 MPC, and when that page comes up scroll down to the bottom where it says Attaching parts identification chart. That will bring up pictures of the various trim connectors, which may be useful in identifying which ones you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
This is it, flat blade type of post. Don't know why I had such a hard time describing them.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Another potential source is https://www.clipsandfasteners.com
Man this is great, thanks