Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2021, 12:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 Trans Am clone

I may have posted about this car before - it’s been so long I’m not sure!

It’s been 8 years since I drove this car home with intentions of a carousel red Formula clone. I bought the car for $2300 and drove it home with the 350 2bbl smoking like crazy. It went right to the body shop.... and sat. That shop closed down so it went to another shop..... and sat.

Finally my buddy I bought the car from convinces me that it needed to be a Trans Am clone. Being that I have a white 69 TA clone and a blue 70 GTO red seemed to be the obvious choice.

Car gets painted, bring it home and the shaker obviously won’t fit a 2bbl intake. Go to my buddies shop to see if he has a factory 4bbl intake. He does not. But he does have a beautiful 67 GTO motor that was pulled for a LS conversion. So I buy the motor.

Pull the old motor and trans and decided I should really clean everything and paint it. Then figured I should rebuild the suspension while nothing is in the way right?

After looking online I decided on pro-touring f body for the parts. Awesome quality, not cheap but seemed to be worth it. Then I found a deal on some 18”s from a PY member. Those factory brakes are gonna look pretty small behind 18”s.... better upgrade.

Then I had a turbo 400 built for it and installed the drivetrain.

That’s when it stalled. I’ve built 2 or 3 cars since I bought this one. There was so much aftermarket stuff on it I just kinda walked away since it’s not my thing. I took it to a couple different shops and nothing got done. Finally took it back to the guys I bought it from when they had an opening and they got it back to where it was a manageable project for me. They figured out the brakes, gauges, etc.

So finally this week I drove the car. Pretty good feeling to finally have it start, drive and stop under its own power!

I am going to finish up a few pieces of the interior and the it’s getting some touch up paint done along with the blue and yellow stripe like the car from the movie Cannonball (‘76 I think).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA1BD28F-857D-4891-B054-8A80D1A0F16B.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	561811   Click image for larger version

Name:	F27FB596-F564-4FCB-873A-8A9F83573915.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	561812   Click image for larger version

Name:	4BCF565A-D595-440F-91A3-D4D3D0DE0E12.jpg
Views:	212