Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Exhaust leak at intake

I have what I believe to be an exhaust leak at the passenger’s side heat crossover. The alignment on my gasket doesn’t seem to be very good at the heat crossover hole. The metal ring of the gasket appears to be overhanging into the port. I’m on my second set of gaskets trying to get it to seal off. Would this cause a leak if the metal part is not surrounding the heat port in the head? The heads are 6X’s. I held the gasket up to another 6x for reference. The intake is an edelbrock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37D40589-6610-4399-8D50-BC465B91F9ED.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	548651   Click image for larger version

Name:	131A2EC0-D0BE-48F2-A19C-64EECEE5990E.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	548652  

Old 09-03-2020, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, that is the result of using the wrong intake gasket. The last set of fel-pro gaskets I ordered included four intake gaskets, and I, too chose the wrong one initially. The gasket set includes a different intake gasket that will circumference the entire port and alleviate this problem. If that's your only problem, install the gasket that surrounds the entire port and you'll be good to go.. Obviously I'm assuming your intake is post 1970.