THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks horrible.

Soft as hell, should really appeal to certain groups.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the same about this that I do when they come up with a new car and the board dumps all over it. We measly few, just arent the target audience. I mean half of us enjoy redline tires. Im sure GM has an army of people with spreadsheets who say this will help.

The big three are looking to sell crossovers to 30 something moms, and overpriced pickup trucks dudes who cant really afford them.

Then with those profits we hope they break us, the performance market, off something. If this ticks up their general sales by 4% and that means they do a new limited release on something RWD with a turbo on it I will be happy.

Also, I just dont really care that much. We cant complain about "certain people" being too easily offended and then get upset about a logo change. Pot calling the kettle black and all.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The "new" Camaro was never intended to look like a '69 Camaro.

Ford and Mopar did that and now they don't know where to evolve that look.

The next major change to the '69 Mustang was the '74 PintoStang...

And for the '70 Challenger the next gen was the '79 MitsuChallenger...

Once you go that retro, you really don't have anywhere to go based on the evolution of the product after that old retro design.

As already noted, Ford has already started selling their 'new' 4dr electric Mustang SUV... SMH - couldn't they have named it the Electric Escape instead???
You always bring up the Mustang II and nobody will argue its a disgrace, but Ford sold a lot of them. And that’s the bottom line of a business.
But those Challengers didn’t sell well and anyone who bought one knew it was a name slapped on a import. Even the 1970-74s were not hot sellers.
But the big question is will Ford and GM be behind Tesla in 10 years when it comes to sales ?
Tesla’s way ahead of both in market cap as of recently.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tesla may be way ahead in market cap for the moment, but it's not real. Tesla is losing market share in the more electrified markets.

Norway is a leader in the electric car market. Sales MTD for cars in Norway has Tesla with a total of 45 cars sold (15 of the Model 3, 18 of the S and 12 of the X).

Audi has sold 210 E-trons alone, Puegeot has sold 176 2008 models alone, Volvo 133 XC 40's, MB Eqc 400 4matic's 131, Nissan Leafs 102.... Those are the one's that have already sold over 100 of those models. The Tesla Model S is the Tesla leader with 18, which is good for 20th place in the country that is leading in electrification of their "fleet".

Tesla is a lot of hype, but has consistently failed to deliver what they promise on time. They sold less than 500,000 vehicles world wide in 2020 - and they are "worth" more than any other car company in the world?

In September of 2019 Tesla Model 3 led all sales with 2341 of a total of 6815 electric cars sold (34% of the sales). September of 2020 the VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 PRO 150 KW was the leader with 1989 sold out of 10,568 electric vehicles sold in Norway (less than 20% of the sales). So with sales in Norway up over 35%, Tesla couldn't even match the number of cars they sold the year before.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Tesla may be way ahead in market cap for the moment, but it's not real. Tesla is losing market share in the more electrified markets.

Norway is a leader in the electric car market. Sales MTD for cars in Norway has Tesla with a total of 45 cars sold (15 of the Model 3, 18 of the S and 12 of the X).

Audi has sold 210 E-trons alone, Puegeot has sold 176 2008 models alone, Volvo 133 XC 40's, MB Eqc 400 4matic's 131, Nissan Leafs 102.... Those are the one's that have already sold over 100 of those models. The Tesla Model S is the Tesla leader with 18, which is good for 20th place in the country that is leading in electrification of their "fleet".

Tesla is a lot of hype, but has consistently failed to deliver what they promise on time. They sold less than 500,000 vehicles world wide in 2020 - and they are "worth" more than any other car company in the world?

In September of 2019 Tesla Model 3 led all sales with 2341 of a total of 6815 electric cars sold (34% of the sales). September of 2020 the VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 PRO 150 KW was the leader with 1989 sold out of 10,568 electric vehicles sold in Norway (less than 20% of the sales). So with sales in Norway up over 35%, Tesla couldn't even match the number of cars they sold the year before.
Teslas concern isnt sales, rather its to own the electric technology including self driving cars and the best charging system.
And yes, as of now their total stock market shares
are worth 3 times more than Gm and 7 times more than Ford and it’s rumored they’re going to do another split this year.
I’m not a fan of TSLA, but I bought stock in them before they did the last split and it’s up to 885 a share now.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-10-2021, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Teslas concern isnt sales, rather its to own the electric technology including self driving cars and the best charging system.
are worth 3 times more than Gm and 7 times more than Ford and it’s rumored they’re going to do another split this year.
I’m not a fan of TSLA, but I bought stock in them before they did the last split and it’s up to 885 a share now.
Funny thing is that less than a month ago Musk was quoted as saying that, the American electrical grid would take 25 years to update to where it could be used wholesale to charge/power electric vehicles. He has effectively told the US public that the product he's selling, is overtaking the infrastructure.........

Since the green weenies won't even consider nuclear power, nor no new hydro electric power, that means more coal, and gas fired generating plants will have to come online. Wind and solar is like spitting into a bucket of water when it comes to ability to produce the kind of power they'd need for wholesale electric vehicle use. So if your generating the bulk of the electric with hydrocarbon fuels, where's the net gain???

Typically, they never consider the practicality of the ambitious ideas, too many people that can't do the math, nor use common sense.........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-10-2021, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Funny thing is that less than a month ago Musk was quoted as saying that, the American electrical grid would take 25 years to update to where it could be used wholesale to charge/power electric vehicles. He has effectively told the US public that the product he's selling, is overtaking the infrastructure.........

Since the green weenies won't even consider nuclear power, nor no new hydro electric power, that means more coal, and gas fired generating plants will have to come online. Wind and solar is like spitting into a bucket of water when it comes to ability to produce the kind of power they'd need for wholesale electric vehicle use. So if your generating the bulk of the electric with hydrocarbon fuels, where's the net gain???

Typically, they never consider the practicality of the ambitious ideas, too many people that can't do the math, nor use common sense.........

I have no interest in buying a Tesla or any of these electric cars, but this guy ain’t to be taken lightly any longer.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-10-2021, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
are worth 3 times more than Gm and 7 times more than Ford
and it’s rumored they’re going to do another split this year.
You better update your market cap values.

1. Tesla - 834 B

2. Toyota - 214 B

3. VW - 95 B

https://companiesmarketcap.com/autom...by-market-cap/

Tesla is theoretically worth nearly 4 times what Toyota and over 8 times more than VW is worth???

The following will show you how foolish the market cap for Tesla is looking at what they are actually selling:

1. Tesla - $1,405,000 per car sold

2. Toyota - $20,000 per car sold

3. VW - $9,000 per car sold

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...on-in-1-chart/

Sirrotica makes an excellent point about the electric infrastructure.

California, the state with the highest electrical car count, suffered from rolling blackouts and brownouts last summer. Yes, it was hot in CA, but the decisions to due away with coal and natural gas generated electric power has reared it's ugly head.

And this happened despite the fact that CA imports more electricity than any other state - over 30%. This importation was a significant reason for their blackouts and brownouts when Nevada and Arizona cut them off last summer.

And there is a cost for this - currently LA residents pay nearly $.21 per kilowatt for their electricity and SF pays nearly $.24 per kilowatt...

Old 01-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You better update your market cap values.

1. Tesla - 834 B

2. Toyota - 214 B

3. VW - 95 B

https://companiesmarketcap.com/autom...by-market-cap/

Tesla is theoretically worth nearly 4 times what Toyota and over 8 times more than VW is worth???

The following will show you how foolish the market cap for Tesla is looking at what they are actually selling:

1. Tesla - $1,405,000 per car sold

2. Toyota - $20,000 per car sold

3. VW - $9,000 per car sold

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...on-in-1-chart/

Sirrotica makes an excellent point about the electric infrastructure.

California, the state with the highest electrical car count, suffered from rolling blackouts and brownouts last summer. Yes, it was hot in CA, but the decisions to due away with coal and natural gas generated electric power has reared it's ugly head.

And this happened despite the fact that CA imports more electricity than any other state - over 30%. This importation was a significant reason for their blackouts and brownouts when Nevada and Arizona cut them off last summer.

And there is a cost for this - currently LA residents pay nearly $.21 per kilowatt for their electricity and SF pays nearly $.24 per kilowatt...
Im not a fan of the car and I’m not a fan of electrics, so I’m with you on that.
But that’s what it’s valued at and theres a lot of arguing over it and there’s some points I can’t make here as it would go political.
I have a sell price in case it drops so, I’m not worried. Unfortunately if they crashed down it could do much damage to the market.

And sirerotica, agree with your points.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-11-2021, 12:56 AM

Looks like the goodwill logo. https://www.cincinnatigoodwill.org/w...l-Logo-2-1.jpg

Old 01-11-2021, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
Kinda. But gm has that super-high-tech-gradient thingy. That stuff is extremely expensive.
Oh no. It leaked onto the other image when they were set side by side.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gm logo.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	558140  

Old 01-11-2021, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My first impression, a transformation from strength to weakness.

The Following User Says Thank You to JimFB400HO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2021, 01:58 PM

It is funny how a GM logo change would spring this many opinions. I think the logo change is pretty insignificant since the only time you really ever see the GM logo is on a seat belt buckle or floor mats.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a happy little girlie-logo.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Something to do with the electric cars right?
Exactly, and to be clear I’m not a fan of them at all. I’m on the same page with Champ and Sirerotica. The only electric vehicle we have is a old golf cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
It is funny how a GM logo change would spring this many opinions. I think the logo change is pretty insignificant since the only time you really ever see the GM logo is on a seat belt buckle or floor mats.
Doesn’t blend in right on a full size truck with a powerful V8 or a diesel. Those buyers want masculinity, not something that would go on a Rainbow / unicorn edition Power Wheels car.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-12-2021, 01:58 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Looks dumb to me. Lower case letters to abbreviate General Motors? Reminds me of millenials who write "u" in place of "You".
Pretty insignificant to me... the vehicles I own range in age from 33 to 104 years...

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 01-12-2021 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 AM
PY VIP

I read an account of the designing of the logo from someone on the design team and it was a typically arrogant and clueless GM mindset, with plenty of buzzwords. It was completely dismissive of any criticism, this person literally talking down to journalists with decades of experience. It struck me like a teenager telling his parents how the world works.

The truth is, the new logo looks like something you could design with a phone app. Maybe that's the new mindset of GM after all...

After decades of being frustrated with their management and arrogance, I am done with GM. The last GM car I bought was a 2008 Malibu LTZ. Nice car but it nickel-dimed me to death. I just bought a leftover 2020 Ford Escape SEL. I didn't even consider an Equinox or other GM SUV and I love it. Super comfy, loaded, and even a panoramic roof. It has the base EcoBoost three-cylinder. It is surprisingly quick. It will 0-60 in under 8 seconds and the mileage is incredible. It's the perfect daily driver. I don't need to impress girls because I already have one... ;-)

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Keefe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GM Dodge.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	558300  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love that Dodge meme. Almost as much as I love driving a Hellcat.

I read an article where lazy engineers that didn’t want to update and old chassis led to the Hellcat (not really but it’s a funny article).

They basically go through the revisions/design updates to the Impala, Malibu, Taurus and Fusion since the LX platform was introduced. GM and Ford had all these updates and new models.....Dodge added power and bigger wheels to a late 90’s Mercedes chassis for almost 20 years and has the bigger following and much better resale.

Hell- my 2007 Daytona came with a cassette deck! Now my Hellcat has launch control and a 1/4 timer.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:29 PM

Default Limp and uninspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Love that Dodge meme. Almost as much as I love driving a Hellcat.

I read an article where lazy engineers that didn’t want to update and old chassis led to the Hellcat (not really but it’s a funny article).

They basically go through the revisions/design updates to the Impala, Malibu, Taurus and Fusion since the LX platform was introduced. GM and Ford had all these updates and new models.....Dodge added power and bigger wheels to a late 90’s Mercedes chassis for almost 20 years and has the bigger following and much better resale.

Hell- my 2007 Daytona came with a cassette deck! Now my Hellcat has launch control and a 1/4 timer.
Compared to “gm”, “RAM” says powerful, tough, solid. Figuratively, gm seems to be wanting to go on a respirator. The bright spot, Chevrolet still has the Corvette and the third ranked pony car, Camaro... scratch that. The Corvette is the bright spot.
Surely, the once mighty have been brought low.