THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OUT OF CHANGE

So my wife stops at Popeyes chicken drive through and orders 2 sandwiches,
The girl says $8,71. My wife gives her a $20 bill and 1 penny.
The girl hands her $11 and says we're out of change, Here's your chicken. Have a nice day. And yes the girl kept the penny.

WTH ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 01-13-2021, 06:33 PM

There's been a change shortage for months now, but typically places like that will put up a sign by the order speaker to warn customers.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:02 PM

Go back in a week and order the same thing. When they ask for $8.71, give them $8.41 and tell them you’re even.

The Following User Says Thank You to GTO_6970 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ever since the supposed "Change shortage" started, I always ask beforehand if they have change, if I'm paying with cash. If not the debit card is used.

I believe the restaurants are using this to make their increased covid losses less to their bottom line. In my experiences it seems only restaurants have trouble getting change. The big box store stores always seem to have plenty of change, but that's just my experience.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-13-2021, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Local scrapyard will round up, if the total is .50 or more, and round down for less than .50. But they tell that to you up front. Total $37.67 gets you $38.00. $37.41 gets you $37.00

Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was working north of Seattle a few months ago and a few places had signs up that they were looking to buy your change.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We had the same around here. Some businesses still have signs posted about the change shortage, but seem to provide the change anyway.
I would like to know if a person shows up to make a purchase and is short a bit of change if they are turned away. I doubt the seller will say "it's okay, the last guy over paid by XX amount."

Old 01-14-2021, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can go one better...When this first came up a few months ago I was in the gas station or somewhere and the girl asks if I mind rounding up...they were out of change. It was only a few cents so I agreed and didn't think much about it..
My dumb ass didn't think about it until later...I was paying with a debit card..lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 04:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Our local Wal Mart has been limiting the self checkout area to card use only, periodically. If you want to pay with cash, you have to wait in line at a regular lane.
I rarely have more than 3-4 items, and never use plastic, so it's a hassle.
Been using the self checkout since they first became available because it's so much quicker.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If they'd stop making pennies and $.50 coins (and take them out of circulation) they could probably keep up with the demand for real change. But that makes too much sense so they probably won't do it.

Eliminating the penny would never cost anyone more than $.04 at the till and drop the wasteful use of the copper nickel alloy - not to mention the actual cost to produce them. Eliminating the $.50 cent coin would cut the cost to produce a coin that is rarely actually used.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coming from a banking back round, there is no change shortage

Old 01-14-2021, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Change shortage. What a bunch of BS.

I haven't run into any of that nonsense yet

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the last 10 months, I have been using my debit card much more than I ever had. Retailers and fast food all seem to prefer you use the cards and make it more difficult to use cash to lessen the handling of "virus infused" cash. OK , so being the "good citizen" I complied. So far, 10 months later, the bank has paid my wife and I back a little over $700.00 because we have both had our accounts hacked and had to replace our cards. This began with the no change available and the change "shortage"

Old 01-14-2021, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the late '70's I took a vacation to Mexico. I decided to take a bus and paid in Pesos expecting Centavos in change. The drive handed me a piece of gum in lieu of change. Change is almost as meaningless here now. I use a debit card for everything.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken MacNicol View Post
Coming from a banking back round, there is no change shortage
Exactly what I've thought right from the beginning. My daughter and my X wife both worked in banks for many years. From what they told me, the Fed doesn't run out of money, for any length of time. They could be short for a day or so, but never months.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-14-2021, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People don’t want to handle dirty money right now it’s the touchless service thing. I ask at my local stores if they have a change shortage non of them do.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
People don’t want to handle dirty money right now it’s the touchless service thing. I ask at my local stores if they have a change shortage non of them do.
If the change is going to transfer disease, why don't the dollar bills? No place has trouble dealing with dollar bills, which have much more surface area on them than a coin does. Also the surface of paper has many more cracks and crevasses for a .125 micron virus to nestle in, than a smooth metal surface. Which is same type surface the food prep is done on, and sterile surgical surfaces use.

When the clerk takes you card to run it, there is also the possibility of transfer from them handling it, along with the paper receipt they hand you. If you use the card terminal, instead of handing the clerk your card, hundreds of people a day touch those same keys you're using. They used to sanitize the keypads at the beginning of covid, that has pretty much gone by the wayside now. I've not seen anyone sanitizing keypads in a retail store for months now.

Also noticed no one is any longer wiping down the handles of shopping carts as they once were, and many times there isn't any supplies for the customer to wipe the handles down either.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 01-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a short period that change was hard to get but not now. When the "change shortage" occurred me a couple other older workers had large stashes of change and cashed it out. After 5 years I had $70. worth of change in my console. lol People are all over the place when it comes to their change some will wait for that penny like they will die without it and some just say keep it. When we get our change order from the armored car it is all new coins and bills.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-14-2021, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If the change is going to transfer disease, why don't the dollar bills? No place has trouble dealing with dollar bills, which have much more surface area on them than a coin does. Also the surface of paper has many more cracks and crevasses for a .125 micron virus to nestle in, than a smooth metal surface. Which is same type surface the food prep is done on, and sterile surgical surfaces use.

When the clerk takes you card to run it, there is also the possibility of transfer from them handling it, along with the paper receipt they hand you. If you use the card terminal, instead of handing the clerk your card, hundreds of people a day touch those same keys you're using. They used to sanitize the keypads at the beginning of covid, that has pretty much gone by the wayside now. I've not seen anyone sanitizing keypads in a retail store for months now.

Also noticed no one is any longer wiping down the handles of shopping carts as they once were, and many times there isn't any supplies for the customer to wipe the handles down either.
Great point.

In addition, copper has some antimicrobial properties...think about the old copper AC coils vs. new aluminum ones and 'dirty sock syndrome' (ie, mold)..

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-14-2021, 06:18 PM

I mainly use a card everywhere I go and my bank pays me back for the dollar fees incurred at ATMs and gas stations. I have been trying to convince my wife for years now that we need to switch to a credit card that pays us cash back even if it is just 3%. She thinks the more stuff we put out in the internet the more likely we are to get hacked. She still calls the bank on a landline to check bank transactions, never check it online. I like to keep a few dollars on me but they say paper money is dirtier than a household toilet seat.