Old 02-04-2020, 05:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paul Sandoval Book

This has probably already been posted & I just missed it.

Paul has a couple of books out. So, how many here have read 'em ?

Opinions about 'em ?

https://www.amazon.com/BUILDING-PONT...a-834361070320

https://www.amazon.com/BUILDING-PONT...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Stro...CA9YWGX1N0JARZ

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Stro...pe=all_reviews

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...erformance-way

Looks like there's even an updated version of one of Rocky's books.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1323668679?ii...RoCasIQAvD_BwE

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-04-2020 at 06:04 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
This has probably already been posted & I just missed it.

Paul has a couple of books out. So, how many here have read 'em ?

Opinions about 'em ?

https://www.amazon.com/BUILDING-PONT...a-834361070320

https://www.amazon.com/BUILDING-PONT...ustomerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Stro...CA9YWGX1N0JARZ

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Stro...pe=all_reviews

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...erformance-way

Looks like there's even an updated version of one of Rocky's books.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1323668679?ii...RoCasIQAvD_BwE

I’ve read what I assume is the second one. “ Building Pontiac Torque and Power”

I thought it was pretty good. Runs contrary to the “Tractor Motor” line of thought.

I’ve thought about getting the other book but haven’t yet. Thanks for reminding me!

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have the paperback for building pontiac torque and power and shortblock performance. It's a good read, albeit somewhat brief in nature. There's some decent insights and contrasts well against the more traditional build teachings found in Jim Hand's book. It's a great supplement to it.

Well worth the price of admission in my opinion.

I haven't yet picked up his second book.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, pontakr, I decided to add these to my Pontiac library. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 01-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my experience with him, Paul Sandoval is a simpleton who has no business writing books about Pontiac motors. He's spamming a bunch of the boards on facebook in an attempt to sell his "books" with and making a general fool of himself. When he can't answer basic questions or the discussion points out how shallow his knowledge base is, he blocks the person he's having the discussion with so he can keep spreading misinformation without getting corrected.

I wouldn't buy anything he was selling, either in paperback or the "crate engines" he claims to offer.

It's interesting to read that some of the comments already included "contrary" and "contrast" in them...that's because he is flat out wrong in a lot of areas. It's pretty clear that he's been able to make some people happy by bolting Kauffman and Butler's parts together and making dyno numbers (that aren't really that impressive). In a conversation about how to make a hot street/strip car with high driveablity...he's lost.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Last edited by Navy Horn 16; 01-18-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a couple of them and found them to be pretty much a waste. But if you're bored they can help pass the time a guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.sandovalperformance.net/

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 01-18-2021, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He promotes his book on FB a lot with excerpts from the book.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Hmmm. Interesting.

"WE'RE EVOLVING! STAY TUNED AS WE CHANGE OUR FOCUS FROM CRATE ENGINE BUILDING TO COMPONENT SALES, INFORMATION, AND THE OCCASIONAL CUSTOM BUILD."

I have both books. I think a bit high priced for what you get, only about 75 pages, but all the photos are color which can increase costs of any book and probably why the higher price. These books are by no means a complete guide on how to rebuild a Pontiac as other books do that. They are a good read for the novice or someone with a little engine experience who is just getting into Pontiac engines, or the guy who wants to understand on how parts work and how to match them together for a good build. I think the 2 books compliment each other. The 1st is the lead in and somewhat basic but informative as it's aim is the stroker engine. The 2nd is a little more meaty in what parts are needed/selected to make your HP/TQ level build from a 350CI to a 488CI stroker.

Building Pontiac Torque And Power is focused on building a stroker engine and what to do for prep and parts selection/numbers that he must use, machining, assembly tips, & tuning, plus a couple dyno sheets. So this book is what I would term "generic", but good basic info which can be expanded on when it comes time to build, or have built, a stroker engine.

Building a Strong Pontiac Combination for the Street is on optimizing the engine based on the level of HP/TQ you look to get out of it. The choices are broken down into Stock, Sleeper (stock appearing/sounding but big TQ/HP), Bad-ass (has got the sound you know you are coming and higher RPM's 600+HP/TQ), and Ricky Bobby ( higher RPM's & 630-650HP). Then there are parts selection and clearances to use. Next the engines are grouped as short blocks ranging from 350CI to 488CI. Then each category of short block has recommended parts and part numbers to fit each of the 5 levels of build above. Then heads are gone through and each engine category is given a head suggestion/build based on the 5 levels of the build - chamber cc's, valve lengths, cam lifts, rocker arm ratios, and a few specs are provided.

Cam recommendations, intake recommendations, exhaust recommendations, ignition recommendations, and trans/converters are included. Assortment of photos/examples. Then a couple pages of engine builds/specs from 350CI to 488CI for each of the 5 levels of build.

Sandoval seems to like having the pistons stick above the bore/deck .005" on his builds which appears to be his trademark. So these books give you an insight into how Sandoval builds his engines and the parts he uses - he basically has a proven build that he uses to obtain the 5 HP/TQ levels a customer may want out of whatever cubic inch engine they have or want to have. I don't see any real "trick" work being done/shown.

BUT, with the statement found on his website, it appears he is steering away from engine builds and leaning more into the parts supply business.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the "heads up" about these books. I guess I have been living under a rock for the last 40 years having never heard of Mr. Sandoval. Being a teacher I have to give them a read now. Cliff's Q-Jet book is wonderful IMO, Rocky Rotella, and Jim Hands books I enjoyed as well as the Pete McCarthy Books and HO Racing. Lots of good Pontiac Info out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 09:38 PM
Boost Engineer

Years ago people asked me if I was going to do a book on building Boosted Engines.

Even with 40 years of getting paid to do the job, I said "no thanks".

Most of what I learned about boosting came from others: Like Hugh Macinnis, Corky Bell, Dave Austin, Gale Banks, Danny Jones and Ohio George Montgomery, Barney Navarro, Art Whipple, and some of the Engineers at Lysholm and Eaton Engineering.

But everyone can bring something to the party. I will have to look at Mr. Sandoval's info and see what he has to say.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While we are talking about books note that The big little GTO book by Albert Drake has numerous errors in it with many of them in reference to the 67 and up RA motors!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a Pontiac expert but Jim Hand, Pete McCarthy and H-O Racing Specialties have all written excellent books on the Pontiac performance subject.

I'm not sure I've ever read a book without picking up a useful tip or two. Bill Travato wrote a great book on Oldsmobile performance. The book on Buick performance was pretty bad. A lot of myths reprinted as fact and a lot of worth while information held back.

Last edited by PAUL K; 01-19-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:55 AM

Just to be up front I have had an engine built by Paul Sandoval, (previously posted details), I am happy with my 585ftlbs of torque. Engine has been running flawlessly for years now.
On his facebook page he has asked if someone on PY could possible paste his reply to the post made by"Navy Horn 16". He is not registered so I thought it would only be fair to give him right of reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 5.39.28 pm.png
Views:	500
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	558874  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MYGOAT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I've always had a problem with those who regurgitate the knowledge of others and claim it as their own.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been at least 10 years ago but I sent a Q-jet to a customer who had just topped of a pretty "basic" 455 with a set of CNC ported heads from Dave at SD and one of his early "Old Faithful" camshafts. The engine was at a shop/dyno facility with very little experience with Pontiac engines. The owner of the engine said that the staff was having quite a bit of fun at his expense and plenty of "under the breath" comments about his brand loyalty and choice of parts, etc.

On the very first pull the engine cranked out 552hp/604tq.........he said the same folks who were giving him some flack about his engine combo were dialing 911 and heading for the exit doors! The owner actually stood up and congratulated him on the results and said that he had NEVER seen such a "mild" at a glance combination crank out those kind of numbers.

In any case the knowledge to exploit the EXCELLENT mid-range properties of these engines has been out there clear back as far as I can remember, plus well documented with PLENTY of good articles and books on the subject. I still have never seen a rule book about being able to join in that game so really don't have any issues with someone else putting their knowledge and abilities in print. Even so I'm also waiting for the Fulper book. Unless you haven't been keeping up on current events there is a HUGE shortage of toilette paper in our area so one way or the other it would get put to good use.......LOL......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-20-2021, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOAT View Post
Just to be up front I have had an engine built by Paul Sandoval, (previously posted details), I am happy with my 585ftlbs of torque. Engine has been running flawlessly for years now.

He is not registered so I thought it would only be fair to give him right of reply.
Definitely can't go wrong with 585 ftlbs of torque!

I thought Mr. Sandoval was a member here and his user name was Paul S??

Old 01-20-2021, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

Even so I'm also waiting for the Fulper book. Unless you haven't been keeping up on current events there is a HUGE shortage of toilette paper in our area so one way or the other it would get put to good use.......LOL......Cliff
I hear his book is going to have a chapter on setting up the Q-jet for performance use and debunking all the misques in your book.

But on a serious note you did an excellent job on the Q-jet book. I love quoting you to my Chevy buddy and saying "he's the guy that wrote the book on Quadrajets"! .... You'd think he'd go out and buy it.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Definitely can't go wrong with 585 ftlbs of torque!

I thought Mr. Sandoval was a member here and his user name was Paul S??
FWIW, according to the signature on Paul S account, it says Sandoval Performance on the link posted............

Last post was 12/17/2014.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 01-20-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I hear his book is going to have a chapter on setting up the Q-jet for performance use and debunking all the misques in your book."

Unlikely we'll ever see a book on anything, what publisher would take on that deal? IF you want to see some interesting reading look on Yelp, etc for reviews......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Closed Thread