Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-15-2021, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you asked the obvious question "Has my transmission arrived yet?" If you get a no, just tell the guy, "Let's get them on the phone and find out what's going on then and start walking to his office." If he makes excuses, then ask for a copy of the P.O. and order confirmation and tell him you will check for yourself then. Chances are, he will refuse both requests and you will at least know where you stand."

My gut says your $2800 paid other creditors, your trans was never ordered and you're being strung along until he has the money to cover your order. The worst of times has a way of bringing out the worst in people.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-15-2021 at 09:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeighborsComplaint For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with Neighbors Complaint. Just went thru this with a well known Pontiac restorer. Rob Peter to pay Paul situation. I ordered mine from American Powertrain and it was here in 4 days. This was last September so the Rona was in full swing.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since you're dealing with Pro Motion whom I'm familiar with, it would help a bit if we knew which trans you went with.

He sells a lot of different versions of the Tremecs, and if I remember our earlier conversation correctly you were looking at the 600hp Pro T5 that uses an aftermarket heavy duty main case and a G-Force gear set.

That's all build to order stuff, and I'm going to bet some of those parts to be ordered are likely going to be delayed for reasons I mentioned in my first post. That's not going to be a quickly done transmission. I even recall a couple years back before this virus thing started he was having difficulty acquiring those 9310 alloy gear sets and they were on back order for a very long time.

If you went for the TKX the circumstances are a little different but I still wouldn't hold my breath on a fast delivery. Even when I order complete TKO's from American Powertrain that you would think would sitting around waiting on shelves, I still wait about 2 months before they show up at my door, and that's before the beer virus started.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 02-15-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The timing is interesting. Walt texted me today with the following message:

"Jim FYI ATTACHED IS A PHOTO OF YOUR COMPLEATED CUSTOM 5 SPD OD TRANS ,ETC WHEN U GET A CHANCE GIVE ME A CALL TO DISCUSS THE NEXT STEPS IN YOUR CONVERSION REGARDS. WALT"

So 4 days after our unpleasant phone call my transmission is ready to be installed in my GTO. This is rather bizarre. I'll call him tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	560941  

Old 02-16-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn’t that a T5?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So that's what I thought, he built you one of his Pro units with a G-Force gear set.

You're going to love it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-17-2021, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From the pic I hope that is not the clutch disc your going to run on the street.Tom

Old 02-17-2021, 11:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
From the pic I hope that is not the clutch disc your going to run on the street.Tom
Honestly, I don't know Tom. I opted to go with a mechanical clutch over a hydraulic. Can you tell us more about why the above parts (clutch) in the pic are not a good option?

Also, when I talked with Art today, he still does not have all the parts that are needed for my conversion. He stated another week or two before my car can go in the shop.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TKO600s should be a direct bolt-in. So it shouldn't take long to install. And yes, if was a mod with gear set and all, that takes time to assemble. But that does look like a WP T5 to me, with the G-Force mods, that is a full 'build', and certainly takes time.

My APT extreme (TKX) was shipped and delivered in 8 days, and they sell directly to the public. Those they do have several usually sitting on the shelf.

That clutch looks like a sprung hub, carbon semi-metallic disc. They are great on the street, but do require a bedding. The discs are for higher HP/Ft LBS apps.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-17-2021, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time I have tried to drive a true street car with a disc thats has the pucks on them I have hated it.Way more chatter from a stop than I liked.JMO,Tom

Old 02-17-2021, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Understand your concerns Tom, but the new materials have that all now considered a thing of the past.

It used to be puck discs had solid hubs, no more. People would think it was due to the pucks, but it's not.

The biggest complain I hear from folks that go to newer material discs is that they 'grab too quick'. That's actually a good thing, and you can control that with release and throttle.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-17-2021, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still shop for old NOS GM discs in the blk and yellow box.None better IMO for a street car.Tom

Old 02-17-2021, 10:16 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

" It's the same story I've heard everywhere, there are a few key parts they are having trouble obtaining and it's slowed up the build process for everyone,”

This is the NEW NORMAL now!
My Quadra-trac transfer case on a truck, are is splayed oped for three months now and MAYBE Needed parts will arrive in Two more months!

Old 04-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My ride is finally ready regarding the Tremec tranny install. The shop owner will tow it back this week. I'm going to upload pic's which may be valuable for people who might want to do this conversion. I can upload 4 or 5 pic's per post. BTW, the installer is R&S Automotive Repair Service in Fort Lauderdale. The owner is Steve Norris. I saw all muscle cars in his shop which gave me confidence in his knowledge. He charged me $2000 which was only for the labor. I don't know if this is fair, too high, or low, but whatever, I paid it. As stated above, I bought this tranny through Pro Motion Performance Powertrain, also in Fort Lauderdale. They assemble the tranny based on my driving needs and install parts such as the flywheel, shifter, hydraulic clutch setup, driveshaft, etc. This cost me about $5500.

I also want to point out that two holes were cut in the floor pans and many would ask "why". The 2nd hole is cut a few inches above the shifter and slightly to the left. This hole is to accommodate this area of the tranny that sits a bit high. Here's why. I cut out the old, rusted floor pan. When the autobody guy welded in the replacement floor pan, it was installed about a half to one inch too low; therefore, a hole was cut. This is what the tranny installer told me. Does not seem to be a big deal.

I initiated this project in late November 2020. So, it took a while, close to 5 months.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TremecTrans.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	565389   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	565390   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	565391   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	565392   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	565393  

Old 04-25-2021, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

More pic's of the Tremec 5 speed install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TremecTrans4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	565396   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans11.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	565397   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	565398   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans6.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	565399   Click image for larger version

Name:	TremecTrans8.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	565400  

Old 04-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BTW, this installer used my original tranny cross member; he said he just modified it. I thought I was going to have to buy Ames part # R162NC which cost $299.00.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
The timing is interesting. Walt texted me today with the following message:

"Jim FYI ATTACHED IS A PHOTO OF YOUR COMPLEATED CUSTOM 5 SPD OD TRANS ,ETC WHEN U GET A CHANCE GIVE ME A CALL TO DISCUSS THE NEXT STEPS IN YOUR CONVERSION REGARDS. WALT"

So 4 days after our unpleasant phone call my transmission is ready to be installed in my GTO. This is rather bizarre. I'll call him tomorrow.
So it took him 4 days to build the transmission he made you wait 6 months for. That's a feel good right there.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
So it took him 4 days to build the transmission he made you wait 6 months for. That's a feel good right there.
LOL.

Originally, I opted to go with a mechanical clutch, but the headers created an obstacle. So my choices were to go back to the original exhaust or a hydraulic clutch. This was just one delay. Another delay was an available bay at the installer's shop.