Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Unhooking mechanical fuel pump?

I am planning to install an in-tank electric fluel pump and will need to decommision my mechanical fuel pump(MFP).

I will eventually remove the MFP, install a block off plate and remove the "outer bushing" from the fuel pump eccentric on the end of the cam, but until I get things sorted out(make sure the new system works OK), I would like to leave the MPF in place and just unhook it for a while.

Will this cause any harm other than a slight loss of power?

How much noise does the fuel pump bushing make with the MFP removed?

Enough to trigger a knock sensor?

Does BBC block off plate fit the Pontiac V8? If not, is there one that does?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does BBC block off plate fit the Pontiac V8? If not, is there one that does?

The BBC plate fits, but Buter carries one by Mr. Gasket for $5.00, and a polished billet alluminum one for $19.00. I also saw one somewhere, with a Pontiac arrow head engraved on it. Thos plates aren't too hard to find.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not leave the MFR in place and pump through it? You can drive around on the mechanical pump and then flip the electric pump on for those "high demand" situations.

Both my GTO and my Chevelle have this setup. GTO has been 12.20s and the Chevelle has been 10.00s.

Both have been like this for 30 years or more with no issues.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, for the replies.

I currently have it set up like you suggested Keith, external EFP back by the tank, feeding through MFP with EFP only switched on "when needed."

It works well (except the EFP is very loud) with a lot of fuel in the tank but runs into issues with less than 1/2 tank or so.

I could probably cure this problem with a sump and external EFP but I don't want to put a sump on the outside of the tank with exposed lines etc. and I may decide to run EFI some day.

I have ordered a Tanks Inc. in tank "Sump Kit" which uses a high pressure EFI pump and I will need to run it through a return regulator (will use a RobbMc Regulator) I don't think the MFP would like the kind of pressure that the EFI pump would put out and I think I will get better results with the MFP out of the system.

Primary reason for keeping MFP would be lack of noise and reliability.

Based upon my experiences with factory and aftermarket EFI in tank pumps I am hopeful that the EFI pump will be very quiet and reliable. Almost no noise in most factory systems and many last over 100,000 miles.