67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:21 AM

Default 69 Firebird with Chevy 350 Motor ( 408 Stroker)

Anybody out there have a 69 Firebird with a Chevy 350 Motor? Need Help. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, you do!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-21-2019, 12:38 PM

Thank you for the reply. Hope you have a nice Christmas.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can narrow down your issue a bit, I promise to try & be more helpful.

7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-21-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Stressed

I guess I am just 100% stressed. I am NO mechanic or restorer whatsoever. And I have spent a TON of money turning this Firebird, that I do like the looks of Firebird 100% more than a Camaro, into a fancy type show car like when I was younger. NOT fuel injected like alot of people do today, but with the old school Holley 750 double pumper ultra shine carburetor. Everything chrome, stainless, and aluminum. EVERY single nut and bolt is either chrome or stainless, even ones you can't see. I have almost everything Ring Brothers, Lokar, make for my car. Example, RingBrothers Air Frame/windowed billet trunk and hood hinges $1100. That is only beginner. Even down to the brake,fuel line clamps, using Earl's plumbing billet clamps, several 100 just for them. Even have gone as far as brake pedal and gas pedal arms with pads, Lokar makes the Clayton line that comes as bolt in, $440, but they only make it for Firebird/Camaro as a set in powder coat graphite finish. Everything I have is Natural aluminum,stainless billet color/finish, so Lokar is going to make me a custom finish in the Clayton line and instead of powder coating it they are going to take a set and make custom natural billet finish on them for me, $600. They tell me will be only set on the planet with this finish in Firebird. I sound as though I have Jay Leno money, but far from it. I have been union cement Mason ( concrete finisher) for 27 years. I wanted to stay with the Firebird steering linkage, I have a awesome AGR high ratio steering box, with billet type top, and body of it painted same as car.. You listen to Summit and many other places say, this and that will fit, next thing you know, it does not. I am paying restorer to do the work so several times it has been wasted work, and money. So now I am hearing that I either change all steering linkage to 69 camaro linkage, or go with rack and pinion. I have taken all my Firebird linkage and Por-15 it, which is awesome stuff, stronger than powder coat and just looks awesome,. So now there is another $1000 of wasted money, with linkage and steering box together. I have a TON of items will be selling, many original items, even ALL interior brand new, never installed yet, because going with TMI molded items. I probably need to stop. So does anybody know how I can get linkage where it is hitting down where idler and centerlink come together on headers without having to switch to Camaro linkage, or go to rack and pinion. I know rack and pinion will be most room. But will 69 Camaro linkage give you that much more room and how? If anyone can help, Thank u. Don't want to sing th ed crap out of ceramic headers either, small dimple is one thing. ANYBODY want my items will be getting rid of? Sorry so long. Jerry. I know motor is Chevy. Just very unique, when purchasing motor noticed 383 was a dime a dozen but 408 Stroker out of 350 block was unique, 408 in mopar is common, but 408 out of Chevy 350 not so common. In fact , still to this day several technical department agents say can't be. It Dynoed at 527 HP and 525 Torque.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191220_154708.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	527240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_211241.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	527241  

Old 12-21-2019, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a cool Bird.

Where do you live?
I would try and find someone near you who is a Pontiac nut.
I think it would be not that hard to do what you want, just not using the right resources. If it had the Pontiac engine in it, it would probably be a piece of cake?
Seems there are quite a few here who have a 1st Gen Bird that is very nice and are on the order of what you are doing.

The front suspension looks modded quite a bit, so why not the rack and pinion?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Firebird and Camaro both came with their own specific steering box pitman arms, and each used different ones depending on which engine option was selected.

You’re probably going to save a lot of money and headaches by swapping to the correct small block Camaro steering components. One of the many Camaro restoration parts suppliers or one of the many suppliers of Pro-Touring suspension pieces should be able to set you on the right path. There are tons of options, the first-gen Camaro is probably the one car with the greatest selection of aftermarket parts available suspension-wise.

Going to a rack and pinion steering setup will probably be 10 times more expensive parts and labor wise compared to a factory setup. Only you can decide whether it’s worth the cost.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

That is quite a car, thanks for filling us in.
Take a deep breath, most of the heavy lifting is already done!
Yeh, F body steering linkage. That is GM for you.
Fortunately, you have encountered nothing new and I am thinking, that car is saying R&P.
But to switch to Camaro steering stuff need not be a bank breaker. Your steering box a keeper, so you "got that going" for you.
There are some really sharp people here, so stick around. We may all learn something.

PS: That Ton of stuff you have? Save that for your next Bird

7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Senior Chief

I was a Chevy guy years ago. When I bought my 69 Firebird 30 years ago, it had a SBC, though the motor was long gone. I would have dropped another SBC in it, but the guy that I bought the car also had a Pontiac 455 motor. I liked the idea of having a "big block", so that's what I did. Been a Pontiac guy (and Mopar) guy since.

I don't think I had to change anything, steering-wise, to get the car back to Pontiac power.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 12-22-2019, 12:27 AM

Default Thanks

I live in Missouri, about 40 miles west of St Louis. Anybody know of any Firebird groups out around here? Or individuals with Firebird experience. What's weird is even though the shop that is doing my car has extensive experience and does EXCELLENT work, along with many companies I have spoken with when purchasing parts, always seem to believe that it is just a 69 Firebird same as 67,68 Bird or same as 69 Camaro. I try telling them that they are mistaking and that this 69 Bird has MANY unique parts to itself because of single year car. I give them examples with wiper switch, center link, pitman power steering pitman arm, steering column and switches on column, ignition switch, harness, etc. and they just don't seem to believe it and are in awe when they finally have it proven to them. Thank you all for the replies. When I bought the car it actually had a Chevy 350 in it. I remember The frame mounts were hanging off the subframe cross member I would say 1 1/2 inches. But apparently it work. It did not have power steering though, which is what I am putting in now. Now another dilemma. I was reading in a forum where a person had his headers clear the steering box but only by maybe 1/4 inch like mine and mentioned how it rubbed at times and rubbed bad enough I suppose when hitting bump or getting on it a little and messed up his headers and steering box. this being said I am thinking about going with power rack and pinion and being done with it. Clearance would no longer be issue anywhere from what I understand. Is this correct? And what is weird is that several of the rack and pinion conversion kits I have looked into say they actually only work in 69 Firebird if it has a Chevy 350 motor. I suppose that makes me a little lucky . I would have a brand new complete 69 Bird steering linkage set up for sale that has all show type appeal, all of the linkage is por-15 which makes it all appear powder coated and actually stronger than powder coating in my opinion. All chromed out sleeve adjusters, all either rare parts or moog parts, did not go cheap. and the steering box is a $500 box. ALL new. I bet close to $900 there. Selling it all and putting what I get for it towards a rack and pinion kit would justify going through with it. Check out the phot of how far back frame mounts were when first bought the car. Way back. Thanks again everyone. Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	527246  

Old 12-22-2019, 12:58 AM

Default Headers

Another question. Does anyone know of a header company that makes them for better fitment for this type of swap I am doing? Right now I have Hooker Headers Ceramic Coated full length, 2131-1. Sure would think that these header companies could make them to fit in almost any application, always hear when it comes to headers are the biggest problem in almost any motor build, even when motor is made for the car. Everybody has to dimple, dimple , dimple, headers that they just spent $700 on.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Default Rack and pinion

Sorry to be blowing up with questions. I suppose I would like to ask who out there has a Power Rack and Pinion set up that would fit just right on my 69, with this Chevy 350 motor, I am not concerned with column I guess yet , because I already have plans to get new one, tilt, probably natural stainless. I would like this Rack to bolt right in and have plenty of clearance everywhere. Thanks

Old 12-22-2019, 01:12 PM

https://www.pro-touring.com/content/1-home?

Best forum to find the answers to all of your questions regarding your Pro-Touring build.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jt, I have to say you're a very sick man. That being said, I'm all the way across the country but you can send a list of all of your take offs and spare parts to bobman58ya@yahoo.com. I have a Pont motor in my 69 but am always looking to put a little bit nicer piece on my car than I have. I've been working on mine for 40 years now so don't get discouraged.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 12-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the link b-man, and Firebob I will send you a list when I get one worked up. Thanks for the " be patient " message also.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Senior Chief

You should only need to change the pitman arm, center link (drag link), idler arm, and possibly the inner tie rods to 69 camaro parts. Other than idler arms, take them off as one piece.

I put big tube headers on a 69 camaro with a 427 small block with no problem as far as I can remember. It was Bloody fast. I made the owner but street drag radials on it. It would go sideways way to easy.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:26 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks HO Kenny. I ordered it all today. You think 1/4 inch clearence by steering box is ok? I really appreciate everyone's help here.