THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:40 AM
Senior Chief

Default Ceramic Coating

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes.

I have owned my 67 GTO for over 30 years. I acquired it in 1992 after a fresh paint job (base coat/clear coat). I have had panels touched up over the years. About 7 years ago I had the entire back half (door jambs back) resprayed. However the hood front fenders and doors have paint on them from 1992.

I recently had paint correction done (light scratches in clear coat on top of hood mostly) and was considering ceramic coating the entire car. However this car is stored in a climate controlled garage and does not see more than about 250 miles a year and only on nice days. I have always used high end waxes and proper washing methods with award winning results.

It seems to me the biggest advantage of ceramic coatings is the water beading and ease of washing debris off. For a car that rarely gets dirty enough to wash would ceramic coating be worth it? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97739397-Fall+Classic+DCPC+2023+(62).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	627099   Click image for larger version

Name:	97739398-Fall+Classic+DCPC+2023+(65).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	627100   Click image for larger version

Name:	97739399-Fall+Classic+DCPC+2023+(413).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	627101   Click image for larger version

Name:	97739400-Fall+Classic+DCPC+2023+(422).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	627102  

Old 01-24-2024, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Many ceramic coats also act as a hard protective shell on the exterior. Even the older stuff like the Klauss products have a hardness profile similar to iron. So there is more protection there than a hydrophobic coating.

That said if this car sees maybe 250 miles per year and is stored in a climate controlled location, a ceramic coat probably isn't really necessary. I would just make sure that when the vehicle is washed it's done so with quality mits and towels using a two bucket method. Wax's may not even be necessary if it's not sitting out in the sun much.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:45 PM
Senior Chief

Jason thanks for your response. I agree the ceramic coatings offer a hardness/protection. I have heard that if water is allowed to dry on the car they do tend to water spot easily. I live in Florida and have attended many car shows that got rained on. However we generally wipe the car down as soon as it stops. I think all that "wiping" at show over the years may have led to some of the scratches. Thanks for your input. I guess my biggest question is if the ceramic coating will make the car look more glossy and tend to help with the paint look overall.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Yes, in general it will add a gloss element. By nature the coatings are self leveling, so they tend to fill in imperfections and increase noticeable gloss.

I could see where car shows in Florida could cause that type of issue if you're always wiping the car. I think I'd invest in some real high quality micro fibers. My opinion is that the Casey Performance towels are the best on the market.

You could do a yearly ceramic if you wanted to. It's certainly not going to hurt.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO;It's the best.
Try this,it's unbelievably easy to apply.
Duz not leave water spots./
I just use a detail spray of chose and wipe it down.
I seldom even wash my car anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN5zMxO_N-8
https://cerakoteceramics.com/cerakot...paint-sealant/

Last edited by KS circutguy; 01-24-2024 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CERAKOTEŽ Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit
https://cerakoteceramics.com/cerakot...storation-kit/

If any of you have faded headlights this stuff really works and it a permanent repair.
Did my BMW last year and they still look new,and the car is mostly outside year round.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a restored car that doesn't get very dirty, I would never use water to clean. Water just promotes RUST. My car was restored 35 years ago and has only seen water when it was wet sanded. Still judged gold. Everything gets cleaned with cleaning products regularly, NO WATER. 2000 miles in 35 years. Just my 2 cents..

"Bill"!

The Following User Says Thank You to bill ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 03:12 PM
Senior Chief

I would never "wash" the car with water ever. I drive 5,000 miles a year on my cars and NEVER wash them. Ceramic sprays are all you need to maintain paint protection.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
On a restored car that doesn't get very dirty, I would never use water to clean. Water just promotes RUST. My car was restored 35 years ago and has only seen water when it was wet sanded. Still judged gold. Everything gets cleaned with cleaning products regularly, NO WATER. 2000 miles in 35 years. Just my 2 cents..

"Bill"!
Thats less than 60 miles a year! I dont think my car would be wet with that kind of mileage either, LOL.

I drive my black trans am as much as possible. I wont purposely go out in the rain but have been caught in it quite a few times. The trip to Hershey (DPC) was in a heavy rain storm. That was fun-NOT-
I talked to a couple of people about ceramic coating and have been considering doing so. Mostly as a paint correction. My car still looks great shined up but its starting to show a bit of age after 6 years. People I know that have had it done, love it. I dont think it matters what the use is as being stored inside and going to shows will only make the effort last longer. One installer I talked to said it would last about a year daily driving with my wifes mustang, and the same thing would easily last 2-3 times that for my 'show' car.
One thing I have seen in my limited research is that a professional application is better than diy stuff. Maybe they just tell you that?? The only thing holding me back is the cost at this point. I got a quote for my car at around $1000. For complete buff, paint correction, detailing and ceramic coating. Normally I would just put a few sheckles aside everymonth and get it done, but I am nearing the end of another restoration and that money is better spent getting that car finished.