THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What we have here ... is a failure ... to communicate.

Another typical eBay clusterF.

Buyer email: I want to buy the xxxx you have listed. I am local so I could meet you somewhere halfway and save you the hassle of shipping. (This is eBayspeak for "I'd like to pick it up, minimize my inconvenience and save the shipping cost which I think you are trying to make money on anyway.")

My reply: OK. I can meet you in the parking lot at XXXXX anytime that is good for you. Name the day and time. It's exactly halfway and I'll refund you the shipping cost. Otherwise, I can mail it and It will be there in a couple days.

Buyer responds via email: Great!

So now I sit and ponder which option "Great!" is meant for. This gets really tiresome.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 12-21-2020 at 07:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeighborsComplaint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am always amazed at how many ways there are for communication to break down.

One of my favorites is when I ask two questions and they answer one, ignoring the other.

I want to say "were there, or were there not, TWO question marks on that page?!"

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've read instances in which people were paid promptly via PayPal, seller handed over
the item(s), only to have buyers later claim that they never received anything. Without
a tracking number... *free* stuff!!

Everyone knows Caveat Emptor. How do you say "seller beware" in Latin?

Old 12-21-2020, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The worst part about dealing with people is PEOPLE. They are only concerned with getting what they want at the lowest price possible and don't care about anyone other than themselves. Your convenience and your time mean nothing to them, they change their mind at the last minute and don't bother to tell you, just leave you hanging. I would mostly just rather throw something inexpensive away than try to sell it to someone.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I usually end up giving parts away for this reason. Had a really good set of 285/50 22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers that I replaced on my work truck. Had about 50% tread left, new ones were $1900. Asked $250 on Craigslist for all 4. People sending Google scams, hold them for me, will you take $100..... I gave them to a friend.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I usually end up giving parts away for this reason. Had a really good set of 285/50 22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers that I replaced on my work truck. Had about 50% tread left, new ones were $1900. Asked $250 on Craigslist for all 4. People sending Google scams, hold them for me, will you take $100..... I gave them to a friend.
Real tire kickers!!!! Iol

Old 12-22-2020, 04:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Won an item on eBay and the seller was 15 minutes away. I was visualizing the postman putting a 6" fragile pot metal item into my 4" mail slot. Shipping was very reasonable and I went ahead and paid it along with a request to meet up with him and the shipping fee could be kept for putting him out and for his gas to the local shopping center to meet me. Very nice fellow and we had a nice conversation on his perils of being an eBay seller. He said that two buyers over the years picked up their items and then burned him saying they hadn't received their items. He had a nice simple little form for me to sign for receipt which I was happy to do. Also eBay estimated the delivery time at 7 days. Know I made the right choice when I received a sturdy but small item this week from Butler and the package had a big footprint in the middle of it.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
What we have here...is a failure...to communicate
BTW - it's "what we've got here...is failure...to communicate".

No "a".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My reply: OK. I can meet you in the parking lot at XXXXX anytime that is good for you. Name the day and time. It's exactly halfway and I'll refund you the shipping cost. Otherwise, I can mail it and It will be there in a couple days.

Buyer responds via email: Great!
Why wouldn't you think he meant, 'Great' ?
Meaning he thinks it is great that he has another option than the stated mail delivery?

He did not provide the time and place for the meeting, so probably still deciding on his options now.
If he gives you a time and place,then he took option one.
If he sends you a paypal or whatever for delivery then he took second option. (which was originally only option)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-22-2020, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
BTW - it's "what we've got here...is failure...to communicate".

No "a".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A
Ya got me!