West Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default 26th Annual Pontiac Uprising in Wichita

Looks like it's on.

Here's a link to the flyer:

http://www.wichitagto.com/dnn/Portal...g%20Flyer2.pdf

God knows where I'm goin' to, but me... I don't care."
Old 08-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm hoping to bring my Tempest this year, if all goes well. I haven't been for quite a while. The last time i attended was with my '64 GTO, maybe ten years ago. I really like that track and that event.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Richard,
You take'n the day off???
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Richard,
You take'n the day off???
Jeff
Well actually Jeff, I will probably take several days off about then.

Hope to see you there.

Richard

Old 09-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We're heading out in the morning from New Mexico. We plan to get there on Friday afternoon. The weather is looking good. Should be some good air---and some good times---for cars and drivers.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Race safe Jim!

Right now, I'm envious of your weather. Summer ended with a bang here- didn't get out of the fifties today!

Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Senior Chief

Getting ready to leave for Wichita, should get there early this afternoon. Everybody come on down!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ellen and I had a great time at the Pontiac Uprising in Wichita today. I made two passes: 7.81 @ 173.61 and 7.82 @ 176.68 (both new low ET's) . We had some problems crop up on the second pass, though. For one thing, the parachute didn't release. I did get stopped OK on brakes only, but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. We didn't get the chute packed right for that second pass and that made me think we need a different system or a little more practice with packing this one. I'm really not a big fan of this particular big spring propulsion system to launch the chute. Maybe an air release?

In addition to the chute issue, we were getting a lot of water pushing through the puke vent and it got the left front tire wet on the second pass. The humidity was high and my tune was probably a little rich, but my @#$4% Red Alert EGT recorder wouldn't boot up in my computer, so I had no EGT readings. They were really rushing the cars through, so I decided all the little niggling problems were trying to tell me something and I called it a day.

The good news: I qualified #1 for the Quick 16. Since I decided not to run in it, I relinquished my spot to someone else.

Once I stopped running, I had a chance to talk to a lot of racers and see some of the racing. The only result I know for sure: Kelvin Poe won the Quick 16 on a double breakout, IIRC. I got a chance to meet Kelvin and he's a great guy. I talked to a few other PYers over the course of the day, too. Racers as a group really are the nicest guys.

The weather was great--cloudy and cool, but with none of the rain they were predicting earlier in the week.

The only bad note: Mike Cooper, who headed up putting on the Uprising this year, kissed the wall while testing his new Firebird pro-mod car. Mike wasn't hurt, but the car suffered some damage.

All in all, it was fun time racing and we hope to go again. It was worth the 1,000+ mile tow each way.

Jim

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lest anyone think this event is only a race, I should point out there was a show and swap meet as well. And the Friday night presentations were great: Tim Dye told the fascinating story of the origins of his Pontiac/Oakland Museum in Pontiac, Illinois and Arnie Beswick shared stories about racing and racers from the past. Arnie made exhibition passes today at the track as well.

Jim

7.75 @ 178 pass:

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Congratulations on the new "bests" Jim!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Thanks to all participants, spectator's and sponsor's!!!
Had a great time, was thankful for nearly perfect weather.
I wanted to see Jim's car up close, and others...not enough time and other factors.

Richard, did you take any pictures?

I got to talk to owner of green full size 65 wagon running 14.30's, forgot his name, BUT he is a relative of Jim Hand's. Wagon was cool, wondering if he is a member here, if so, let me know, or what his name is!!! I'd like to know more about that car/combination!!!

Got to talk to Robin Proffit (spelling?) some, hopefully spoke some words of encouragement to her. It's been difficult for after losing Cap. He is missed by everyone! Still praying for Robin.

Hey, Tim "speed racer" Dodson, see you at Tulsa!

It was great to see Arnie there! Even his one "half" pass I saw was awesome! I asked him if he was going to do his slide after the burnout and tap the guard rail, like he did several years ago at Ark City...LOL He told me that deal was not "on purpose"...LOL Best of all my fellow travelig Pontiac enthusiast Richard "A" got to talk to Arnie for a while. Richard has lived in Oklahoma since 1980, and had not talked to Arnie in a long time. For some reason, none of us are getting any younger...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 10-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Richard, did you take any pictures?
Oh... hey, were you talking to me? No, last year I took around 70 pics and posted them here but this year I left the camera at home.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Richard! Good to see you again. Do you know the guy w/ the green 65 Catalina wagon? I think he belongs to your club...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 11-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks, Richard! Good to see you again. Do you know the guy w/ the green 65 Catalina wagon? I think he belongs to your club...
Sorry Jeff, I don't know whose car that was. I sure liked it though.