Default Clutch Rod Boot

Please put me down for one also.

Thx!

Semper Fi
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM

I will buy 2.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll take one, in the name of the cause and display it in my Pontiac case.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

I finally did send John the boot that I had here , have a working computer again so I'll be on more often .

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Default Status Update?

Any update on the status of this project? I'm anxious to put the first "Pontiac part" on my Buick!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The two rib for A body looks close enough to use on 65-6 B body cars. They don’t reproduce that one either.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPKind View Post
The two rib for A body looks close enough to use on 65-6 B body cars. They don’t reproduce that one either.
The 2 rib for A-body has been reproduced for years ,try 1 & report back how you like it.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been slow to get started, the GTO resto taking precedence.

But I finally got the modeling work started this week. They tell me the 3-D model should be completed next week. After I approve the model they will proceed to make the mold (actually the mold will be in 3 or 4 parts apparently). Making the mold will only take a few more days and then they will pull a sample for my evaluation. Once I approve the sample I will begin having them made.

I'll let everybody know when I have them ready for sale.

I mentioned previously that I did not intend to reproduce the retainer since I assumed everybody would have kept their original like I have.

However, once the boot is ready to go (they are using my retainer to check fit) I will check with a couple places to see if it is feasible to reproduce the retainer too.

If anybody knows of a source for doing the die stamped retainer let me know. They could be laser or water jet cut from thin stainless but to duplicate the impressed portion I think will require a die. I'm out of my element for doing this but will see what the experts have to say.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:16 AM

Chrisp...what is your source for the one pictured?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbdsb View Post
Chrisp...what is your source for the one pictured?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-67-GM-A-....c100011.m1850

Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More progress to report. Still not complete.

1. I have contracted a metal fabricator friend to see if he thinks reproducing the retainer is feasible. My own is in good shape but I realize that there might be guys who could use the 3 rib boot but don't have the retainer for it. Don't know if it can be done without spending another small fortune but I'm checking.

Would be useful if you guys who think you'd like a boot would let me know if you also will need the retainer.

2. Today I got the first semi-successful sample pulled from the mold. The mold didn't get completely filled so it didn't quite get formed completely. However, that is not an issue.

My goal is to create a functional and aesthetical duplicate of the original 3 rib boot.

It was molded in silicone and functionally, I think we "got" it. We will try a slightly higher durometer urethane and possibly also another silicone. The current product is a little too flexible I think, looking to make it a bit stiffer. Cost will depend on the material I choose.

3. Aesthetics is my main concern. The first issue I think is minor. The mold parting line is 90 degrees off from the original. I asked about changing it but due to added expense and the possibility that changing the parting line will make it more difficult to pull the part from the mold, I told them I would live with the changed parting line orientation. The modeler intends to clean up the parting line a bit but it is what it is.

4. The 2nd aesthetic concern is a function of the mold being produced by 3D printing. The surface winds up with visible lines. They can print a more expensive mold to tone down the lines but they won't be eliminated. I don't think the added cost is justifiable for me. I have been thinking about ways that these lines could be toned down post production. If not, it is something I can live with.

But my intention is to sell copies to defray the modeling cost. I'm not sure others will be so forgiving if they are buying them as repros.

The surface will not be smooth like the injection molded original or the repro that chrisp posted up.

Keep in mind that much of the boot will not be visible once installed so the lines won't be as obvious as in the pix. Perhaps some sort of thinned rubberized coating could be applied to the very outer rib to smooth out the appearance. But I think if I'm going to sell them, I'll leave any such mods up to the individual to perform at their own risk.

So do you guys think the appearance is acceptable? Is there still buying interest?

All comments appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7810.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	480863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7811.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	480864  

Old 04-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good to me John. I could use one for a spare for my 66. Count me in in the name of progress.

I bought the 2 rib design a few years ago from PY. It's ok even tho I can't really see it installed. 3 ribs will do just fine for me. Your pricing seems to be in line with what Ames has for their 2 rib boot. OPG has the 2 rib boot and the retainer, but IMO they are way over priced as they are for everything they sell.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The lines are not looking good & will dray attention to the part & then the red flag will come up .

Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 PM

John,
I will buy two, same as I said previously. I do not need any retainers.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I would buy one just to have a spare and to also help on the project.

Tom Vaught
I made the above reply in 2009, 9 years ago.
Glad it is coming together for you John V.

Retired and not spending as much money so I will change my order to TWO "3-Rib" Clutch Rod Boots.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am still interested in 1 boot and the retainer if it comes to fruition.
Thanks John

Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
My goal is to create a functional and aesthetical duplicate of the original 3 rib boot.

All comments appreciated.
I guess I missed the boat on this one all together. I thought your intent was to have a 3-rib, because the 2-rib wasn't accurate for the early year(s).

As I have no dog in this fight, I'd say you are foolishly spending money that don't need to be spent if you're not making an accurate reproduction of the 3-rib.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John V., is there any update on this project?

Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
John V., is there any update on this project?
About 10 days ago I finally got a good casting for me to use in my '64 GTO. I am waiting to get a pic of it installed before offering them for sale.

It has been a struggle to get to this point. Since my last post, we tried a couple different materials, suffered thru a bad batch of material that didn't cure and effectively ruined the mold, then reprinted the 3D mold, etc., etc. We continue to struggle to get good castings but my guy thinks he finally has a technique worked out to eliminate air pockets.

When the previous mold was ruined, it wiped out a couple hours of tedious hand sanding that I had expended to try to reduce the appearance of the 3D printing lines in the mold. That was the bad news.

The good news is that we were able to modify the ribbed section of the boot portion of the mold and this time rotated the parting line 90 degrees so that this portion of the casting has the parting line in the same place as the original.

We did not change the parting line in the lower section so that remains different from the original. But for my purposes, it will work fine. Once installed, I think it will be hardly noticeable but waiting for mine to get installed so I can show you all what it looks like at the firewall.

I did spend another couple hours hand sanding the new mold to eliminate the appearance of the printed lines as best I could.

I'm attaching a pic of the one I will be installing in my car with my original retainer which has been replated.

I have already ordered 12 copies. They take about a day each to cure and we only have one mold but the first dozen should be ready soon.

I am not going to sell them until I see mine installed to be sure it will be functionally correct and so you can see what it looks like installed.

I will contact everybody that has indicated an interest in this thread by PM (in the order posted) once I am ready to offer them up if all goes well with mine. I will advise pricing at that time.

I am not able to offer the retainer at this time. I was told that it would be too expensive to make a die to stamp them out. However, I will be sending an illustration (a tracing) showing the dimensions of my retainer so you could make at least a crude facsimile.

I have thought about contacting Ames to see if they can supply the retainer currently available WITHOUT the cut-out for the boot. I haven't reached out to them yet, but if they can do it, this "blank" could pretty easily be cut to the smaller dimension of the 3 rib boot opening I think using my tracing as a guide.

Stay tuned. I may have pix of the boot installed in my GTO perhaps by the end of next week. I'll post them here as soon as I do.

Thanks for the interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8421 resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	492797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8422 resized.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	492798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8424 resized.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	492799  

Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it looks even better. I’m still in for one.