67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-07-2002, 01:56 PM

I have just started my 326 HO for the first time in almost 15 years. It was rebuilt to stock specs, 2-barrel cam, 030 over, rotating assembley balanced, etc.

It runs and sounds great, but I cannot get the timing mark to line up with the scale on the block. A timing light shows the mark about 2 inches away from the scale on the block when it runs smoothly without pinging, but if I try to bring the mark up to the 6 degree BTDC it runs very rough.

The engine builder said he degree'd the cam, could this cause the discrepancy? I checked TDC on #1 (using dial gauge trough the spark plug hole, fairly inaccurate I guess) and the the balancer mark is very close to the TDC mark.

What can I check?

Restoration Page

1967 Firebird 326 H.O. Conv., M3 floor shift, 3.36:1, Montreaux Blue/Parchment, Dual factory traction bars
2005 IBM GTO M6 - One of 347
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Old 06-07-2002, 01:56 PM

I have just started my 326 HO for the first time in almost 15 years. It was rebuilt to stock specs, 2-barrel cam, 030 over, rotating assembley balanced, etc.

It runs and sounds great, but I cannot get the timing mark to line up with the scale on the block. A timing light shows the mark about 2 inches away from the scale on the block when it runs smoothly without pinging, but if I try to bring the mark up to the 6 degree BTDC it runs very rough.

The engine builder said he degree'd the cam, could this cause the discrepancy? I checked TDC on #1 (using dial gauge trough the spark plug hole, fairly inaccurate I guess) and the the balancer mark is very close to the TDC mark.

What can I check?

Restoration Page

1967 Firebird 326 H.O. Conv., M3 floor shift, 3.36:1, Montreaux Blue/Parchment, Dual factory traction bars
2005 IBM GTO M6 - One of 347
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Old 06-07-2002, 10:59 PM

are you sure you had the timing light pickup on #1 plug wire? have you tried timing off of the coil wire? have you checked the advances to make sure they aren't stuck or applied? it's been awhile but i think the 326 is different from the 350 400 [rotation maybe?] engines when it comes to timing them. mike

[ June 07, 2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: mike nixon ]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill