67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default #matching 69 BIRD whats it worth?

My son's uncle just got a deal of the century I believe. He bought an all original numbers matching 69 Firebird for $1900.00. It is gold with a tan interior, 350 2 barrell, three speed manual on the floor. The interior is near perfect. Seats are still soft, no tears. carpet and headliner are great. Body is the original gold and is straight with no rust. Paint is decent but has some blemishes but not bad. Motor runs but has an exhaust leak and needs a tune up. The 3 speed shifts very smoothly. This car has been garaged and been parked since 1979 except for occasional outings. Oh yeah, it has 75,000 miles on it. Whats it worth?

1969 Firebird "400". 408 Pontiac, #62 heads, 274 XE cam, Eddy RPM intake, Quick Fuel Slayer 750, Carter Super Street fuel pump, Mallory Unilite, Turbo 400 with shift kit, Continental "Jim Hand Special" 3200 stall, 12 bolt 4.10 posi. 1 5/8 inch headers, 2.5 exhaust with Dynomax Ultraflos.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Me? I'd say he just made about $10,000.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz
Me? I'd say he just made about $10,000.
thats pretty close to my guess too....great buy James!
will we get to see it soon?

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll try to takes some pics of it. Only sad thing is my sons uncle is a big chevy freak and he's already talking about putting a 427 in that he has and a muncie 4 speed. But like I told him, he can always put the motor and trans aside if he decides go back to originanl. I have to say it was really cool driving that car. I mean it wasn't all that fast but I got drive a piece of history that is all original from the day the first owner bought. It was a one owner car. Like I said it was just cool driving it. Bjorn, not sure when you guys will get to see it. Motor needs to get a tune up, change oil etc and then fix the exhaust leak. I will definately get some pics. James.

1969 Firebird "400". 408 Pontiac, #62 heads, 274 XE cam, Eddy RPM intake, Quick Fuel Slayer 750, Carter Super Street fuel pump, Mallory Unilite, Turbo 400 with shift kit, Continental "Jim Hand Special" 3200 stall, 12 bolt 4.10 posi. 1 5/8 inch headers, 2.5 exhaust with Dynomax Ultraflos.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by James408
I'll try to takes some pics of it. Only sad thing is my sons uncle is a big chevy freak and he's already talking about putting a 427 in that he has and a muncie 4 speed. But like I told him, he can always put the motor and trans aside if he decides go back to originanl. I have to say it was really cool driving that car. I mean it wasn't all that fast but I got drive a piece of history that is all original from the day the first owner bought. It was a one owner car. Like I said it was just cool driving it. Bjorn, not sure when you guys will get to see it. Motor needs to get a tune up, change oil etc and then fix the exhaust leak. I will definately get some pics. James.
a 455 will beat that 427!

even as is , just put a 4 bbl on the 350 ,it will run ok.....maybe mill the heads some...

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by James408
next time we make a Shiner run??

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any chance it's the leather interior? Firewall dataplate code TR293 if so. Very rare.

Sounds like a great score no matter what. He wants a 427, let him sell that to a real Pontiac guy and get a Camaro to butcher. Or at least get a Firebird that's already butchered.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Einstein, I spoke with him tonight, after telling him what his car is worth he said he's already decided to hop up the 350. But he's pretty much dead set on making a hotrod out of it. I don't think he plans on butchering it. His plans are to get more power out of the 350 and put some after market wheels on it which I don't blame him for that. The wheels are missing their hub caps and are painted gold. He's talking about getting a stroker kit for it. Can the 47 heads be made to run? Anyway, I was glad to hear that he is keeping a pontiac motor in it. Any suggestions on stroker kits, heads, etc.... I suggested that he put the 350 to the side and get a 455 but I believe he wants to work with the 350. You know the seats did seem different by the way they felt, I have to check the code to see if they are leather.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Einstein, I spoke with him tonight, after telling him what his car is worth he said he's already decided to hop up the 350. But he's pretty much dead set on making a hotrod out of it. I don't think he plans on butchering it. His plans are to get more power out of the 350 and put some after market wheels on it which I don't blame him for that. The wheels are missing their hub caps and are painted gold. He's talking about getting a stroker kit for it. Can the 47 heads be made to run? Anyway, I was glad to hear that he is keeping a pontiac motor in it. Any suggestions on stroker kits, heads, etc.... I suggested that he put the 350 to the side and get a 455 but I believe he wants to work with the 350. You know the seats did seem different by the way they felt, I have to check the code to see if they are leather.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask the other guys about V8s. My 69 Firebird is a rare factory Sprint, and the slightly hopped-up 350 in my 69 LeMans is getting tossed for a Sprint also. Both are convertibles.

Basic premise, though, is it's actually cheaper to build a 400 than a 350. A 455 is probably not much more. Pontiac 350's are good engines, but not considered worth modding.

On that interior, the leather option is basically the "Custom" trim (padded, molded door panels) with leather seat facings instead of the knit-weave vinyl. Gold standard has the flat door panels and ribbed seat inserts. Customer trim includes the woodgrain on dash and a grab handle above glovebox, standard does not have these two items.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I was him I would look for a good 400 block and then get a 4" stroker crank along with a good set of big valve d-ports for a 428 combo. Along with manual gear box (changed to a 4-speed) a 428 in a Firebird is an awsome combo. My 69 Bird was also a350 2-barrel 4-speed car originally and I'm in the process of building the same combo with ram air iv heads. I can't see trying to do anything with a 350 when you can find a 400 block for $200-$300 and a good set of heads for $200-$250. After that all other expenses will be about the same.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the very same thing I pulled the 350 and tucked it away in favor of the 455 but had there been a stroker kit out at the time I would have gone that way this way you have a healthy running numbers matching bird with all the original parts! I can tell this if he decides to build the motor to the HO 350 spec that is a very nice runner also!