Old 10-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Senior Chief

Nice, Charlie!!!

Old 10-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho-V View Post
Nice, Charlie!!!
Thanks... I will be turning up the boost more just as soon as I get my crank back from being checked for cracks.. I have been running this motor for over a year with 30 psi. This summer I turned it up to 38 psi. The 8 pounds made quite a big difference in power. Since I started this build everyone has been telling me that its going to blow up if I keep going higher which makes me want to find out if this is true or not. Being 38 psi is a lot of boost I decided to take the engine apart and have all the parts check out . If everything checks out I think it would be cool to see what kind of power this motor is capable of . I know some people here will object to this but I think it will be fun to try, and in the end I will have proven the capabilities of the 194.5 4 cylinder engine.. I believe this motor is stronger then people give it credit for...

Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can not believe how that little 4 banger holds up to the beatings it receives!!

Two things would have been better in the video.

1) you should have posted the video of that nasty hornet beating that 800 h.p. 2015 Camaro! Yes folks roll racing Charlies car hurts a lot of feelings!

2) I should have been in the left lane so everyone on this board could get a good look at my tail lights and tell me if any are out!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Factory cast crank, forged SD crank or Billet??

POCI.org
Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

its factory. Have you ever found forged one?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a good diaper under the engine!You dont want to run over your own oil if it does not like more boost!Tom

Old 10-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So I guess this begs the question (at least I am curious) would a stock V8 crank hold any where near that amount of boost, OR is because it only has half of the rotating weight that it survives?

Since both cranks are the same length and have the same bearing main surfaces, is the Four just that much more durable because there are no opposite/opposing forces, or is Charlie just damn lucky so far?

But the way Charlie, that thing is a hoot!

Old 10-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default forged crank

I know of a forged 4 cylinder crank for sale. PM or email jbolton@jtt.net, if you are interested. Not mine, just found an owner that wants to sell.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5farmer View Post
I know of a forged 4 cylinder crank for sale. PM or email jbolton@jtt.net, if you are interested. Not mine, just found an owner that wants to sell.
That's what Charlie needs to have more peace of mind!!

POCI.org
Old 10-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Put a good diaper under the engine!You dont want to run over your own oil if it does not like more boost!Tom
I think of that often.. I have the crank being checked as we speak . I will know in a couple of days if its holding up. Im getting it magnafluxed ..

Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
So I guess this begs the question (at least I am curious) would a stock V8 crank hold any where near that amount of boost, OR is because it only has half of the rotating weight that it survives?

Since both cranks are the same length and have the same bearing main surfaces, is the Four just that much more durable because there are no opposite/opposing forces, or is Charlie just damn lucky so far?

But the way Charlie, that thing is a hoot!
The difference between the two is a v8 would make 3 times the amount of power at that boost level. I'm lucky if its making 800 hp. A v8 could handle that power no problem and would do it @ 7 to 8 psi.. Jeff over @ PONTIACZONE has been making over 900 hp on his basically stock 455 for something like 10 years now with no breakage.. So you wouldn't need anything close to the kind of boost level a 4cyl would need. 38 psi on a v8 I think wouldn't be as reliable as the 4 cyl because of the big difference in power it would produce . Of course this is just my opinion . All though I was told of that guy Marty that ran 40 psi for years , so maybe it could? Maybe I have been lucky , but I do monitor things often. Ive been running 30 psi for over a year now , and now that I turned it up to 38 psi I decided to disassemble the motor to see how things are holding up..

To me common sense says having a 800 hp 4cyl would be equal to having a 1400 hp 8 cyl when it comes to durability . I was told by Eagle that there rods can handle 1400 hp on a v8 and on a 4 cyl it would be have of that because each rod will see more force because of the 4 less cylinders helping out..

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5farmer View Post
Let me know what he wants for it. Thank you.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
That's what Charlie needs to have more peace of mind!!
Very true...

Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The crank turned out to be cracked in 3 places I gave them another one to be maged . If it turns out good I will put it back together an try again. It did last for 6 years. Not bad for all the beatings I gave it ..

Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Good thing you pulled it when you did! That would have been bad......

Old 10-08-2015, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho-V View Post
Good thing you pulled it when you did! That would have been bad......
Yes. It was on my list of things to do .. lol.. I knew it needed to be checked because its been together since 2009 and I haven't been very easy on it since day one. Its been though learning how to tune to just big all out boost levels.. I think considering what I've done with it/to it, it held up real well......

After more recent going through things I found more things that were going wrong. All the bushings were going bad at the small side of the rods. They were getting elongated at the bottom of the hole. You can shave your face with all the rings. lol.. They all have a ridge at the top just where it comes out of the land, not to mention there all worn out on the face to the cylinder wall . All the cylinders were out of round, but all it took was 1 thousandth to straighten that out.. When I first got it together in 2009 it had 150 psi in the cylinders . Before I took it apart I checked them one more time and they were 125 in the back and 135 in the front. The cometic head gasket was broke on number 2 and 3 on the exhaust side on the block side . Just the bottom layer. Its shaped like a smiley face at the sealing ring.. The head was milled 3 thousandths because it showed that the gasket was getting imbedded a little. I'm sure I was lifting the head.. The sleeves I installed in the head worked out really well... No more problems there... Bead blasted all the pistons.. Not one sign of detonation on any of them.. I think im going to run a little less timing in it next time.. I also noticed number 1 and 2 main caps were moving around just a little bit. Not that bad ...

I also have to rebuild the turbo. Im trying to find a rebuild kit for it. The problem is mine is a hybrid , it has a bearing at the compressor wheel and a bushing at the turbine wheel. They only sell a kit for a bushed turbo . Turbonetics wont sell me a kit for mine, They say its beyond my ability. lol.. I already had this turbo apart 2 years ago, there is nothing to it... So I have to figure out what im going to do about that..

Old 10-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My valves were all leaking too. I just had them done last year. I guess boost accelerates valve job expectancy ..

Old 10-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet it's the high boost that does it. Us low boost chicken guys might survive longer!

Last edited by JSPONT; 10-10-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
I bet it's the high boost that does it. Us low boost chicken guys might survive longer!
You just concentrate on getting that thing back on the road so I can teach you a lesson on what boost can do.....

Old 10-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Charlie, are you running stock bottom end as far as two bolt mains, fasteners and main caps?