Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Longtop View Post
Did you quit your day job???

NO.

But it doesn't hurt that my "shop" is only across the street from my "office".

LOL Jim, to be honest most of the work is handled by my right hand man Sawyer, I tell him what I want, and he makes it happen. Besides, he is a MUCH better welder than I, when I weld it won't break, when he welds, it won't break, AND it looks pretty!

I lay it out and make all the measurements, and he takes it from there, so far it works pretty well.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Houston, we have a problem! Well we got the back all mocked up and everything will work out fine. So we moved to the front, which I was hoping was going to be a rebush the front end and repaint as we already tied the new tube frame into the old front stub.

However, after pulling the front end sheet metal off to go to the blasters, it became apparent that the front unibody structure was not in the best of shape and had several holes rusted though in key points.

So to make a long story short, I either had to patch what I had, find a new front clip to weld in, or just cut off the front end and most of the rusted out portions and replace with all new tubing.

The new front frame rails were ordered today, so I guess this thing will wind up with a full tube frame, not exactly what I wanted, but I think it will give me a better end product.

My own fault, I should have pulled the front apart first before assuming that it was salvageable. Just hoping it doesn't set us back to far.
Mine was the same way. Wound up with a full Alston chassis under it.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Mine was the same way. Wound up with a full Alston chassis under it.

Hooter, you just can't throw that out there, we need pics, lol. Glad you replied did you use a 2x3 or 2x4? and do you remember which front rail rise you went with. I know they offer a 4" a 6" and a straight rail 13".

I was tempted to go the straight rail, but at the last minute I opted for the rockers being 6" off the ground, I may drop my center rails down a bit to gain some floor depth and to also raise the rockers a bit.

I was shooting for the rear rockers at 10" off the ground and the fronts at 8.5 but now I may only be able to squeeze about 7.5 outta the front, I'll know more once they get here.

Stan

Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine's the 2x3 with the Mustang II front a arms. Can't remember which front rail rise I've got, but I know I don't have as much ground clearance as I'd like. As a result, I've basically jacked up the car by repositioning my front shocks and almost topping out the front rise. That's basically hurting my weight transfer at launch and is something I'm working on now to resolve. Keep all of the above in mind when spec'ing all this out. I learned this after the fact. You're welcome to give me a call at 217-306-3548 if you'd like. Here's a pic of the car in the weeds(with correct front suspension geometry but no ground clearance) and a pic at current ride height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63333.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	310798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Havana 92411.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	310799  

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Mine's the 2x3 with the Mustang II front a arms. Can't remember which front rail rise I've got, but I know I don't have as much ground clearance as I'd like. As a result, I've basically jacked up the car by repositioning my front shocks and almost topping out the front rise. That's basically hurting my weight transfer at launch and is something I'm working on now to resolve. Keep all of the above in mind when spec'ing all this out. I learned this after the fact. You're welcome to give me a call at 217-306-3548 if you'd like. Here's a pic of the car in the weeds(with correct front suspension geometry but no ground clearance) and a pic at current ride height.

Car looks great, but yeah, I am afraid that I also will be lower than I want. Like I said, I am going to try and drop my main rails down 1.5 which will raise the rockers, I suppose I could always go to a 28" ft tire in place of my 26, that will give me another 1" there.

I also am now planning on a front motor plate, so I guess I can position the motor up a bit, my maddog headers should be here in another week or so. I just don't want to be banging the headers off the pavement.

Thanks for the input,
Stan

Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, after waiting a week and a half for parts, and then everybody being sick for a week, we are back at it.

Not much to report other than we have the motor mocked up, and yes, come hell or high water we are running that Cross-Ram. As soon as we get new frame rails in, we will get the motor in and set the car at expected ride height.

Then I will decide on whether we are adapting the stock front suspension, doing an A frame Mustang, or a straight axle.

Couple of pics,

Stan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63 tempest engine mock up 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	312276   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Tempest engine mock up 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	312277  

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Stan - with that intake you may have to run dual SD scoops like this guy!

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32148_470706162990631_509310215_n.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	312291  

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
Stan - with that intake you may have to run dual SD scoops like this guy!

Gary

Hello Gary, not sure about the double sd scoops, that's part of the reason that I want to get EVERYTHING mocked up and in place before I decide on front suspension.

Depending on ride height and what suspension I go with, I might be able to set this motor down a bit and avoid the hood issues.

How's things out east, you got more snow coming?

Stan

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Couple more pics, splicing in the new front rails.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63 Tempest front rails 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	312312   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Tempest front rails 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	312313  

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weight transfer's going to be a bitch with the motor way out there. LOL

GT.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
Weight transfer's going to be a bitch with the motor way out there. LOL

GT.

LOL, nah, you got it all wrong, the motor goes right up to the firewall, BUT the front axle goes all the way forward.

See it will almost be mid engine, LOL

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I gotta have one of those frame tables!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
I gotta have one of those frame tables!
LOL, I could probably sell you one cheap, what color do you want your barrels? Too be honest thou, it IS nice to work at waist level!!!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Hello Gary, not sure about the double sd scoops, that's part of the reason that I want to get EVERYTHING mocked up and in place before I decide on front suspension.

Depending on ride height and what suspension I go with, I might be able to set this motor down a bit and avoid the hood issues.

How's things out east, you got more snow coming?

Stan
Hi Stan - I saw your intake and thought of the dual scoops. We are going to get hammered. Up to a foot of snow.
Gary

Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
Hi Stan - I saw your intake and thought of the dual scoops. We are going to get hammered. Up to a foot of snow.
Gary

Yeah I have a truck in Astoria NY right now that has to head up to Champlain today and load at 6 pm, I am hoping he can get back down to Watertown tonight and get the hell out of there by tom. noon.

Be safe out there!

Stan

Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Couple of pics of welding up the front firewall side cowls, looks like we will be going with a drop straight axle.

Unfortunately we will have to cut one in the middle and widen it 2.5" as they don't make a drop that is as wide as I want, yeah I know, I'm picky. lol

We are going to have to start adding some parts pretty soon, as the car is so light now the lift doesn't want to come back down!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63 firewall.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	313007   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 firewall 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	313008   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 firewall 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	313009  

Last edited by Transporter; 02-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Couple of pics of welding up the front firewall side cowls, looks like we will be going with a drop straight axle.

Unfortunately we will have to cut one in the middle and widen it 2.5" as they don't make a drop that is as wide as I want, yeah I know, I'm picky. lol

We are going to have to start adding some parts pretty soon, as the car is so light now the lift doesn't want to come back down!!!

Glad to hear your back on it.
Time is getting short. (Spring)

GT.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ah, just got back home, Sawyer has been working on it when he could. Didn't want to widen the front axle so I bought some new wheels, they should be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63 st axle 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	314738   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 st axle 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	314739   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 st axle 3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	314740  

Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, again, it's been a while, this car seems to fight us at every turn. We knew all along that we would have to do something to patch or replace the rear lower quarters on the car.

As most here know it is getting increasingly difficult to get good sheet metal for these cars, after looking at several sets of rear coupe quarters all needing work, I was having a conversation with Dave (63 Banshee) about some other parts and just asked what he had if anything that would work.

I'm happy to say that Dave came though with flying colors and sold us a VERY nice and solid rear clip. Yes it is a 4 door clip, and no it isn't a Lemans but rather a Tempest, but it was so straight that we just bite the bullet and are replacing the whole rear clip, one piece.

We probably made life a little harder than it had to be by using the whole clip including the wheel arches, but in the end I think it will be well worth it. So when it is all said and done we will have used the doors and the roof, a partial front cowl and partial rear quarters of the original car.

Everything else will be either rust free sheet metal, new sheetmetal (floors, pans,firewall) or fiberglass,(the front nose). At least I will know what I have when done, I think this will wind up being a "keeper", as the only filler in this car will now be a lite skim coat on the doors, and the quarter seams,

Pics,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	316682   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	316684   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	316686  

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks a lot better now than it did on my mezzanine. Rock on!

Happy to report that 4 dr car has now donated for 1 original wagon (interior parts), 1 turbo slant 4 wagon (front subframe, I think I finally settled on which car gets the turbo), 1 NSS Tempest (fenders, and I think nose if I remember right), 1 Lemans (rear sheetmetal), 1 Tempest Sport Coupe (various parts) and 1 what ever TFugit needed a hood for.

Last edited by 63Banshee; 03-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.