Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "ScanningProcess.exe" What is it?

It seems like my PC is always scanning. I have an 02' gateway with XP and use mozilla, Verizon internet and Verizon security. I just used spybot S+D, and CC and it is still doing this "scanning". My security is programmed to scan at night so I don't think it has anything to do with that. My online searches to this problem(if it is a problem) were not helpful. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I Google the scanningprocess.exe I get tons of hits. Sounds like it comes from Zone Alarm software.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scanningprocess.exe

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've read several of the posts and can't tell weather it is a problem. Some say it is part of Verizon security as long as there is only one. Some say it is from "Zone Alarm" and that it should be removed. I never added "zone alarm" as far as I know. If it was a problem wouldn't spybot and cr*p cleaner know that? I have some of the same "slowness" issues that others posted but it is only really bad at start-up.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you search your local hard drive(s) for ScanningProcess.exe and it locates the file you should be able to determine what folder it is in. That might remind you how it got installed. Or maybe not. Generally it is running when it is scanning for viruses, but if it never stops using CPU time then that might be an indication that something is wrong. I don't know enough about that software to know, but Norton runs things like RTVScan.exe on occasion and it can suck up a bit of CPU while it is actively running. But, once it is done then it calms down a bit and doesn't seem overly intrusive.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it is part of Verizon security. It is a "Kaspersky" deal. According to the date, it was installed when I switched to Fios. Thanks, and nice T/A in the avatar

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's bogging down your puter, you might want to try and uninstall it and switch over to something like Symantec, which only runs at bootup.