Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Default "00 Suburban "tow/haul" switch?

There's a button on the shift lever stalk that changes shift points in the trans. I would work sometimes but now...Not! I have a Chiltons and there's no mention of this feature. It does say that the PCM controls the shift points. I need this to work to get to Virginia next month. Any ideas to get me in the right direction? Thanks, Bill

Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

find the wires coming out of steering column and see if its the switch or the PCM.
Get a real service manual.
Ill look in my 02 and see what color the wires are and what pin they are.
here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TifToGif.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	200232  

Last edited by Cammer-6; 03-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like black and Light blue are the switch.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the same function on my '99 GMC Sierra and found that it really only raises the shift points during acceleration, raising them even under light throttle (which makes the truck feel like it has a granny gear when accelerating while towing a trailer). Have towed an open trailer with it countless times not using the tow/haul function, some of these trips to Norwalk, Englishtown, Maple Grove, Atco, VMP, etc. and with 146K miles on the truck I've never had a lick of trouble from the tranny.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM

Thank you very much cammer & Brian. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow. Thanks......Bill

Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
and with 146K miles on the truck I've never had a lick of trouble from the tranny.
You will now........

Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

It raises the shift points, will hold gears longer and will downshift sooner to help with braking. It will also up the line pressure to help with slippage, so with an older transmission it could be a good thing.

However in my diesels I didn't like, or need, the added RPM's so I left it off most of the time.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave,kinda OT but got the flatbed going
one real bad injector(leaking internally and externally),replaced the other 3 on that side as they tested marginal.These are GM warranty replacements with only 60K on them,which is not good news for the supposedly "improved" Bosch remans.Youre right
the diesels have enough torque to pull without the tow switch on but I would use it if the tow capacity is maxed out(on mine its 15K)