Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

when you have a stock engine, and you are given a full flow oil filter, you have no choice but to regularly change the oil and filter. if i wanted to add a bypass filter, that may be a different story...but for people that have original restored cars, or daily drivers, adding on extra filtration probably isnt gonna happen, so in that case what i said about having a stock motor and a factory oil filter setup is correct...change your oil and filter every 3-4000 miles and you will be fine. (no matter what kind of oil u use) i have heard people say "i just spent $75 on a full synthetic oil change, now i dont have to change oil for 25,000 miles" ow! im not gonna be buying his car used! lol

we use added oil filtration bypass filters at work, and coalescers to remove moisture, and it does extend the life of the oil some, but it still has to be changed at regular intervals.

Last edited by zeebo; 07-09-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Daily drivers are the cars that can benefit the most from bypass filtration, not showcars, people that use synthetics have the most to gain by getting maximum miles from their investment. These are exactly the people that shouldn't be draining out premium oils just because their full flow will never remove the solids and when they become to saturated with dirt that goes through their so called filter they drain oil that has much more life left in it because it's dirty due to poor oil filtration.

The fact that motor oil is reclaimed is exactly the same premise that a bypass filter operates on. Keep the oil free of suspended solids and it will lubricate your engine without problems.

The car manufacturers are decades behind OTR trucks in oil filtration technology where downtime is money and the more miles that you can keep the oil in the rig and keep it rolling the less downtime you have and the lower cost per mile makes your profit margin better. Many truck fleets use bypass filtration to extend the life of the equipment and the oil.

I'm guessing that everyone thinks it's big money to install a bypass filter system, most Frantz systems are a little over $200, cheap when you compare the benefits gained as well as it can be removed and transferred to the next car you purchase. Frantz filters have been around since the 50s and 60s and there are still some operating for over 50 years. Chances are it will outlive the owners.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If a regular oil change regemine safely delivers well over 300,000 miles, the rest of the car is going to be pretty used up by the time an engine is ready for an overhaul. Especially anything in the rust belt.
So (IMHO) the only performance advantage of installing one of these bypass filter systems, is saving resources (oil), and labor if you are a 'change my own oil' guy.
Why try to make your engine last a million miles if the vehicle is going to be falling apart before it ever sees 500K?
Note: I realize certain well built vehicles are an exception to this reasoning.

And I do understand the economic advantage, when used for an extended time.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only difference is the wear at 100,000 will be less with a bypass filter than with the regular oil changes with a full flow filter because the small particulate is not continuing to circulate. As the mileage increases the difference in wear and engine health will also be differentiated further. At 200,000 it will be more of a difference than at 100,000 and so on. Less wear also means better dependability over the long haul. Saving 7 oil changes with synthetic oil will pay for the system in most vehicles for DIYs, if you pay to have someone else change your oil it will be sooner yet. Diesels will payoff even sooner because of the larger crankcase capacity.

The more time I can spend driving my vehicles instead of laying under them is a bonus to me. Just like you can never have too much money, your oil can never be too clean.

The element is also a tattle tale type so when you change elements the element is exposed so a casual look will spot anything unusual that is circulating through the oil possibly heading off bigger problems. No cutting open a tin can to look at the filter element.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run the oil in my truck 10,000 miles between changes. I've had it checked by Blackstone twice and both times they tell me it could have gone further (they suggested 2000 miles both times) before the additive package quit working.

I can see very few situations where a guy's daily driver would need an oil change at 3000 miles.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On my 2011 F150, I plan on 5000 miles on oil changes, using a full synthetic.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
On my 2011 F150, I plan on 5000 miles on oil changes, using a full synthetic.
Unless your driving it in a strip pit, pulling a trailer, you'll be throwing a lot of oil life away.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my Honda Accord new in 2001 and have changed the oil and filter (non-bypass) every 7,500 miles. It just hit 220,000 miles, it still runs great and it doesn't consume any oil.

Last edited by 1969 Ram Air; 07-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
That's not true, oil does not break down, the additive package does, but only if it is overworked which is what happens as it is overwhelmed with dirt that a full flow filter does not have the capacity in it's media to remove.

Your buying into the oil companies 3000 mile crap, instead of repeating what you've heard from oil and car manufacturers about oil changes do some research and you'll find oil doesn't break down and if you use a filter that actually removes the dirt instead of recirculating it. Your oil changes can be safely extended to 3 times as long (or longer if you sample it) and your actually removing the dirt that wears out an engine and wears out the additive package.

A full flow factory designed system is a compromise at best, it's only a marginal bit better than no filter at all. Think about having screens on your house made of chicken wire, It will keep birds out, but all the pests under an inch will pass right through, a full flow filter is just as effective.

You want clean oil and really minimize engine wear your answer is not a full flow filter system, a bypass system will keep the pesky stuff out of your oil the same as proper size screens will keep insects out of your house. So yes, there is a filter that will keep your oil analytically clean, you just have never tried one, or done research on the subject.

Bypass systems are capable of removing dirt the size of 1 micron, 30-40 times smaller than the best full flow filter. Any dirt larger than 5 microns is wearing the metal out in the engine and your filter is only capable of 30 microns (at best), most full flows are around 50 microns.

Filtering efficiency of a bypass filter is filtering every drop of oil that enters it to to a 1 micron size piece of dirt. A cellulose bypass filter will also remove up to 6 ounces of water from condensation which will form acid in an engine, no full flow filter will remove any water from the oil.

The technology is there and easily affordable, you just need to be educated in how it works and why a full flow filter is at best a feeble attempt to remove dirt from engine oil and it becomes over saturated with dirt that a full flow can't remove. At that point you have 2 choices, leave the dirty oil in there to keep circulating through the engine and cause irreparable damage, or throw the oil away and replace it with clean oil and fresh additives because they have been depleted by the dirt not removed from a so called filter.
Your arguement regarding removing the dirt from the oil made good sense to me so I checked out the Frantz website to get more information which leads me to ask you the following questions.

1). Seeing how the by-pass filter is mounted using the small sending unit hole for a supply line, how does it keep up with the volume of oil passing through the motor?

2). Frantz says to change the TP cartridges every 3000 miles, but what about the conventional oil filter.

3). How do you test your oil to see if the additive package hasn't broken down?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
Your arguement regarding removing the dirt from the oil made good sense to me so I checked out the Frantz website to get more information which leads me to ask you the following questions.

1). Seeing how the by-pass filter is mounted using the small sending unit hole for a supply line, how does it keep up with the volume of oil passing through the motor?

2). Frantz says to change the TP cartridges every 3000 miles, but what about the conventional oil filter.

3). How do you test your oil to see if the additive package hasn't broken down?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,

1) It doesn't the internal engine oiling is still handled by the full flow filter and each filter is independent of the other, it is a closed loop that cycles oil back to the pan. It only cleans it and sends it back to the pan. It has no part of the internal engine oiling whatsoever. Its rate is about 1 quart a minute roughly.

2) Since the bypass filter is doing the bulk of the work the full flow should take forever to get dirty, and if it would happen by some odd fluke plug, the bypass in the engine or the filter would just open same as it does now, because that is the way the engineers designed it, priority is oil to the moving parts filtered or not. The bypass is open more than you think it is in an engine and oil is going through the engine without being filtered. If it makes you feel better change it when you do change your oil, I leave mine on as the job it is doing is plugging the holes in the oiling system. I have doubts it's really catching much dirt at all with the oil being kept clean by the bypass filter. So the answer would be barring any lab analysis 10,000-12,000 miles, myself I'm not worried about changing it.

3) Since the bypass filter is removed at 3-4000 miles you need to makeup a quart of oil at that time, so the additives are freshened. With little work to do the additive package holds up much better than with oil that is only partially filtered. There is only one surefire way to have that tracked and that's by sampling it and having it analyzed by a lab. I have researched it plenty as far as lab results with Frantz filters and I have faith that using a premium oil the additive package will be fine for the length of time I'm using the oil.

I hope I've answered your concerns, more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

Brad Yost

1984 Grand Prix