Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew the differance between the 69 F-body springs(chevy and pontiac)?
I need to get as much ground clearance as possible. I did not know if the Chevy BB springs would work better than the Pontiac 400 A/C springs. What are the differances between the hardtop and convertible springs? Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chaz

Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew the differance between the 69 F-body springs(chevy and pontiac)?
I need to get as much ground clearance as possible. I did not know if the Chevy BB springs would work better than the Pontiac 400 A/C springs. What are the differances between the hardtop and convertible springs? Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chaz

Old 08-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

What mods are you doing to the car that a factory replacement spring would not fix? are you trying to compensate for a heavy non-pontiac motor, or big rims? Maybe adding this extra info will help me or others get your problems fixed.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 08-20-2002, 08:50 PM

The previous owner had a SB Chevy in the car w/SB Chevy springs that have been cut. I have installed a Pontiac 455 w/Indian Adv.'s round port headers. Currently I have about 1.5" of clearance from the ground to the collectors. I just need to know if the BB Chevy springs would raise the ride height more than the Pontiac springs and what is the differance between the hardtop and convertible springs.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:38 PM

if i remember correctly the pontiac is heavier than the bbc by about 100 lbs.

why not have set of springs built for your application? if you want to add an 1" of additional ride height over the factory curb height that can easily be done.

Eaton Detroit Spring is one company that can do this for you.

another thing you'll want to consider is the pontiac is heavier than the sbc. the springs in the car have been cut and are overloaded now. if you put springs in that are oem specs the ride height will improve dramatically.
mike

[ August 20, 2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: mike nixon ]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-30-2002, 08:55 PM
Suspended

put in the stock springs from the local auto parts store. They will put the suspension back to original. Correct, pontiac is heavier than Chevy BB.