Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Griffin Radiator Install

Hey Everybody,
I had posted this in race section - was probably wrong place - So

How do you install a universal Griffin radiator. I have one already needs to be replaced. I had a welding shop weld tabs on the tanks years ago for a price - not easily done now. They sell a universal mounting kit but I can't see how that would work for drag racing. Mine was bolted to a factory 72 gto radiator support with a plate made to secure the top and make fan shroud for electric fans.
Thanks Again, Craig

Old 11-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Since it's universal, there are unlimited ways to mount the radiator. All of them will involve fabricating brackets. I've seen this done many different ways. Maybe someone can post pics but I would think you should remove the welded tabs on the tanks of the old radiator and put them on the new radiator.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest
Default Pay no attention to the zip ties

I removed the lower brackets and cut one of the "ears" off, measured how much more I would need and welded a spacer in. Took an hour start to finish. I did make a plate for that radiator later on, but wanted to see the radiator in action. I believe that rad had 2 1" rows. Cooled fine. Went into another car that I ultimately sold.

I have another griffin in the car that is 2 1.5" rows from Griffin. Same outside dimensions, but thicker. Still fits with the Mark VIII fan and have room between water pump and fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_1004fanwiper0003.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	525132  

The Burb Files