Old 11-20-2019, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 Firebird - How to bypass Park Safety switch?

I'm doing a manual conversion on my 69 Firebird which had an automatic.

This model had the stupid metal rods from the shift linkage on the transmission to the steering column. I have of course removed all of the linkages but as for the switch that is on the top of the steering column under the dash, I need to figure out how to bypass it.

It is a crescent moon shaped switch with 2 plugs going to it. One plug has 2 purple wires and I think the other red.

Does anyone know for sure which wire I need to jumper together to permanently bypass the switch so I can remove it?

Also, if the outer steering column rotates from vibration driving down the road or whatever, it needs to be turned by hand or you can't remove the key from the switch and the car won't start. Any ideas on how to keep this in place so that can't happen?

Thanks!! Alex

Old 11-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Alex, If I recall correctly on the steering column rotating issue I think you can run a tapped screw/bolt in from the inside to secure that collar from rotating. The screw/bolt will just thread into the collars backside (bottoming out the screw/bolt) and prevent it from rotating. It has been a long time ago but I seem to recall addressing this same issue, car would not start because this collar turned (rotated slightly), took me several hours to figure out the collar had turned. Great anti-theft device !

Tim john---

Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd just wire the linkage arm up.
Where the column comes out of the firewall in engine compartment, just wire the old linkage arm on column up.

One thing on this collar is that the reverse light is on the column, so will not work when in reverse unless moved also.

The purple wires are the neutral start switch. Maybe reroute to the new shifter and have it switched there?
Or jumper across the wire connector contacts.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I can't find the spot to run a screw like Tim suggested, yes wiring up that little ear on the column behind the rag joint will work....but it sure won't be pretty lol.

The reverse light is getting re-wired to a reverse lock-out control box that came from the company that sold me the Tremec. Haven't gotten that far yet, thanks for the tip this switch has those wires as well!

In the long-term I would love to extend the purple wires to the trans and use it as a neutral safety. Good idea, thanks!