Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Your experience with your new dash pad.

I'm really at a crossroad right now. The last big ticket item I need to deal with on my 70 GTO retsoration is the dash pad.
Option 1: is to use the plastic cap I already have that came with the car, put it in to finish the car now within the next couple of months, then go back this winter and redo the pad. That just forces me to do disassemble and re-assemble the dash twice when I can do it once now and be done.
Option 2: find a good original pad and use that. (hint, Hint, you know who your are)
Option 3: Go with an Ultimate Rides dash pad.

I have been doing a lot of reading from some of the Mopar forums and listening to first hand accounts from people around me who actually have a couple of them at their shop but those have issues. I am also aware of all the customer service issues some have had with that company.
Who here on this board has used one the Ultimate Rides dashes with good results recently? Who here had issues and how were they resolved?
I do have another option, it looks like there is another vendor (middle man) selling pads on Ebay that is a few hours from me. I've contacted them thru ebay about picking the dash up in person because of some of the issues and horror stories I've read. Alot of those are dated 1-3 year ago so I 'm hoping thinks have improved. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default just dashes

Is there a reason you are not considering just dashes? They are the big player in pontiac dash pad restoration... its about $1200.. .but their quality is unmatched...

There is another new player around - claims the edges are sharper - I think the new player is out of texas, you could probably do a search to find them.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

New player is Ultimate Rides. They have the correct process and much sharper edges, but have lacked in customer service in the past.

Option 2 sounds the best! (yes, I know who I am)

Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like option 2 a whole lot!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobody here has used one of our host's dash??? It's only 695 with exchange! I plan to use a couple soon . Any one have some input??

Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just had a dash done by Dash specialtys they are in Medford OR.They were cheaper,MUCH faster.Will report in when it arrives.Was shipped out a couple days ago.It is for a 62 GP which is a full dash.I have used Just Dashes for at least 6 diff cars.Tom

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I just had a dash done by Dash specialtys they are in Medford OR.They were cheaper,MUCH faster.Will report in when it arrives.Was shipped out a couple days ago.It is for a 62 GP which is a full dash.I have used Just Dashes for at least 6 diff cars.Tom
We used Dash Specialties for 2 69 GTO pads that we were not very happy with. Took a lot longer than expected and end result was not as nice as the Just Dashed 69 pads. Have heard others that had good luck with Dash Specialties, but we didn't see it.

On the other hand, I do not care for the over radiused edges that I have seen on the 1970 pads done by Just Dashes. They are not as "crisp" as they should be.

The UR pads are done with the right process and are much more "crisp", but they have had some quality issues and customer service issues in getting started. Seems to be better most recently. PY pads are being done by UR. My experience would say that you are better off buying them through PY and letting them do the quality inspection approval etc. as opposed to buying from one of the ebay resellers and you will not have someone backing you if there is a problem. Also good to support our host!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Just Dashes and it was awesume, it was a bit over 600 not including shipping. I recall about 60 each way.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gartner View Post
I used Just Dashes and it was awesume, it was a bit over 600 not including shipping. I recall about 60 each way.
600.00?? Was this for a 70 dash? How long ago was that?? From what I understand it's way over that.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found the Just Dash pad for my 63 Cat to be too rounded and as you say not "sharp" enough.Thought I would give the other guy a shot.I know he got the pad done in 8 days from when he called me a told me he was going to do it.The donner pad I had sent too him was REALLY rough.Will report in with a pic when I get it back.Dean was very good at returning calls etc.Tom

Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure how long ago. You know when you get a certain age, years go by quicker. But, probably 3 - 4 years ago.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just recieved a new 69 GTO dash pad done by Ultimate Rides.
Pad looks as it should with exception of vinyl at leading edge of pad facing windshield.
It is somewhat lumpy in a couple sections and sheen in those areas is off.
They have terrible if non existant customer service
I honestly thought I was going to be ripped off until I threatened to get Visa to do a retraction on my purchase only then did they ship dash.
I will not deal with them again.

I have since made a contact with Superior Dashpads hoping they are better

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Used Just Dashes on my 70 GTO and 72 Lemans and was totally satisfied both times.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the 72 of the "Pontiac" logo on the passenger side?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gartner View Post
Did the 72 of the "Pontiac" logo on the passenger side?
Yes.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Chief

Stay away from UR unless you are using a middle man such as our host as one other explained. I sent them a dash and was not pleased with any aspect of the deal. Communication and cust service nonexistant. They lost my original glove box door that was very nice which was to be dyed to match dash. Got someone elses back with a big scratch across the front nd very poor dye job. Big glob of dye pooled at one corner of door. Did not remove lock cyl to dye and could still see green under the lock. Door was dyed black. Green kind of stood out! Every pad they sent was incorrect or had flaws. Most flaws were at the front edge of dash by windshield. Looks like they use a heat gun to soften the material and pull around the front to attach. They burned through the vinyl on three of the four I recieved and tried to cover it up with black paint. Mine was a non ac dash for a post car which does not have the end vents. They had trouble with lines showing up in the vinyl where the end vent would have been. In the end they could not produce a dash without these lines in them and I got my money back minus shipping. Wasted three months with these guys. Dash is in Washington state at Dash Restoration USA being finished this week. Will report results when it arrives if anyne is interested. Just dashes wanted around $950 I think plus shipping. Dash Restoration was $850 but I spoke with the owner several times which took the time to explain the process they use and happily answered any questions I had. He knows who you are if you call to check on progress. Smaller operation but very nice to deal with and a little slower than others maybe. I am not a super picky guy but when you lay out this much money for something like this you need to be. Accepting subpar work or quality should not be a part of it. UR is less expensive but I think that your money will be better spent with another more reputable dash restorer. It really sucks to finally get your dash back and are ready to install it, find a flaw and realize that you need to send it back.
Lee

Old 04-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenox273 View Post
Stay away from UR unless you are using a middle man such as our host as one other explained. I sent them a dash and was not pleased with any aspect of the deal. Communication and cust service nonexistant. They lost my original glove box door that was very nice which was to be dyed to match dash. Got someone elses back with a big scratch across the front nd very poor dye job. Big glob of dye pooled at one corner of door. Did not remove lock cyl to dye and could still see green under the lock. Door was dyed black. Green kind of stood out! Every pad they sent was incorrect or had flaws. Most flaws were at the front edge of dash by windshield. Looks like they use a heat gun to soften the material and pull around the front to attach. They burned through the vinyl on three of the four I recieved and tried to cover it up with black paint. Mine was a non ac dash for a post car which does not have the end vents. They had trouble with lines showing up in the vinyl where the end vent would have been. In the end they could not produce a dash without these lines in them and I got my money back minus shipping. Wasted three months with these guys. Dash is in Washington state at Dash Restoration USA being finished this week. Will report results when it arrives if anyne is interested. Just dashes wanted around $950 I think plus shipping. Dash Restoration was $850 but I spoke with the owner several times which took the time to explain the process they use and happily answered any questions I had. He knows who you are if you call to check on progress. Smaller operation but very nice to deal with and a little slower than others maybe. I am not a super picky guy but when you lay out this much money for something like this you need to be. Accepting subpar work or quality should not be a part of it. UR is less expensive but I think that your money will be better spent with another more reputable dash restorer. It really sucks to finally get your dash back and are ready to install it, find a flaw and realize that you need to send it back.
Lee
Lee it sounds like you had a similar poor experience as I did with Ultimate rides

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Chief

Trishield,
Sorry to hear that you had trouble too. This made me real gunshy about getting it done again. Rob b , you are doiong the right thing by asking for others experiences good and bad. Ask a lot of questions if you decide to send your dash out. Learned a lot from his deal.
Lee

Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the responses guys! I know exactly now what I'm going to do!