Old 11-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Default 1990 Sunbird tranny help

I have a 1990 Sunbird with a 2.0 liter engine and automatic transmission.Motor has 50,000KM on it and tranny has 228,000KM I have been having intermittent transmission troubles with it. I can start the car, drive it and it will not shift out of first gear,it does not even act like (slip) it is trying to get into second gear.I pull over, shut it off and then restart and i have all my gears like nothing ever happened.Sometimes i can run it in first and if i hit 40km/h it shifts hard into 3rd gear(i guess).Sometimes i can start the car and it drives great with no issues.I'm at a loss.
What i'm getting at is, is there some sort of shift control device on FWD trannies that could be making it act intermittent or is this tranny toast? I'm not too familiar with computer controlled cars and their workings.
If it is done and i pick a tranny at a salvage yard is this FWD tranny difficult to re and re? Car is in good condition.I've owned it for the last 11 years and is worthy of work as i have maintained it thusfar and it owes me nothing so if i can replace the tranny cost-effectively or repair it I will do so.
Thanks