Old 09-26-2023, 04:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Front Seat Replacement Options

Im looking for some upgraded seats from the OEM. Not race car seats. Just reclining, maybe with slight bolsters, etc.

I cant seem to find many options that arent $3k+ Recaros. Anyone have something they like or could recommend?

TIA.
-Mac

Old 09-27-2023, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know a guy that put a set of seats from a nissan Z car in his TATA, they look good and fit good. I have also seen 04-06 GTO seats used, maybe even look for late model firebird seats.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had '84 Fiero seats in my '77. The bases weren't even close, but I installed them with the tilt and setback I wanted. They reclined almost flat, and I had the headrest speakers wired up, too. I'm keeping my eye out for another set for the next T/A I build.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Procar by scat are excellent seats that recline & have nice bolsters, priced way better than recaros or corbeau, they are very comfortable comparable to the recaros in 81 pace cars but hold you in better. They have a vertical stitching that matches lots of early to mid 70's firebird vinyl seats. They make a high back with headrest or a low back, the high backs look great in 2nd gen firebirds.

They offer a vehicle specific seat track but Ive read if youre taller they may sit too high, I made my own brackets that allow the factory seat tracks to be used and they sit like stock seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6103.JPGa.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	620640  

Old 09-27-2023, 02:17 PM
Senior Chief

Those look great. Thx for the pic! Ill go research procar and see if i can find Any used sets.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. They were about $325-$350 when I bought them 4 or 5 years ago, probably a little higher now. They make them in a few other colors and material too. If you end up using them I can help making the plates for the stock tracks to bolt to, the procar tracks are almost $200.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The procars are nice looking seats. I have never sat in one so cannot comment on comfort but cant imagine they are worse than a stock seat. I like that the pattern matches closely to the original material so they dont look like an afterthought. They may be a bit more than finding a used pair but by the time you get new covers if needed they are probably worth it.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Senior Chief

Does Procar come with the seatbelt loop to direct the shoulder belt?

Any comments on headroom with Procar seats installed? The stock seats sit pretty low providing headroom. Looking at their website, seat bottoms seem taller than OEM.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCirque View Post

Any comments on headroom with Procar seats installed? The stock seats sit pretty low providing headroom. Looking at their website, seat bottoms seem taller than OEM.
no seatbelt loop on the procar rally seats, my car is a 72 so the belts are supposed to be retained on clips up at the headliner sides... on other later 2nd gen cars ive had years ago the plastic retainers on the seats were always broken or missing & the belts didnt really bother me, they are nice to have but not a deal breaker on the procar seats to me.

the seat do sit taller when using their seat tracks... thats why i chose to make brackets to retain the stock seat tracks, using the stock tracks they sit pretty much the same as stock seats. If anything you sit in the seat a little lower, even if the bottoms may be a little taller, factory seats have thicker "pillowy" foam that when new or in good condition seems to make you sit higher or at the same height as the procars firmer/lower seat bottom/foam... if that makes sense? Im about 5'10" and have pleenty of headroom, even with a helmet on at the dragstrip... my dad is about 6'2" and can sit in the car comfortably & even did some track time with a helmet but was about 1" from hitting the roof.

I can help with how I made the brackets/straps to use the factory tracks if needed, the procar tracks are expensive & sit much higher.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look up Flo Fit seats. They were original equipment on Saleen mustangs and look very similar to Recaro seats. Period correct for a second gen and look great. I got a really nice set of black ones for $500. I was going to put them in my 87 Formula but since I picked up a black mustang 5.0 convertible they are going in it.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCirque View Post

I found a video on YouTube where a kid used seat belt guides from a 2005-2010 Cobalt, just have to re-drill a hole so they fit the Procar headrest. Looks factory, I bought a set but haven't installed them yet on my Elite 1100's.
My Elites were originally in my Grand National for over 10 years, they are built like tanks and held up my big and heavy frame with ease. They are now in my 10th, all I had to do was buy the correct Procar brackets. Obviously I need them as low as possible, I cut the mounting tabs to only have the hole for the lowest mounting position so there was no Interference with them hitting the floor. I'm 6'1 and feel I sit low enough in the driver's seat, the passenger seat is a little higher due to that raised portion of the floor but I'm not worried about that.
I just would like them to sit a little further back so I bought the seat extender brackets that SGG sells, I just have yet to put them on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201212_143810.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	630680  

79 Trans Am/Tenth Anniversary
Original W72

67 GTO - SOLD
Gulf Turquoise,400,670's,tripower,4-speed,12-bolt
Old 03-20-2024, 12:17 PM

More pics of the Procar Elite 1100's...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190427_143313.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	630681  

Original W72

67 GTO - SOLD
Old 03-21-2024, 12:00 AM

Sorry, meant to add other pics to my previous post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProCar Seats 011.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	630758   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProCar Seats 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	630759  

Original W72

67 GTO - SOLD
Old 03-21-2024, 12:04 AM

Here is another Procar Elite that uses the Cobalt seatbelt guide. The video i saw suggests that you swap the pass. and drivers side guide so they point downwards and actually hug the side of the seat better which i thought looked way better, but either way will work i'm sure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProCar Seats 015.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	630760  

Original W72

67 GTO - SOLD
Old 03-21-2024, 08:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Too bad they don't make the Rally series in a dark brown that would be a close match. At 6' 3" I wouldn't mind having the ability to recline.

Wonder how much it would cost to reupholster the Procars with SMS/Legendary sourced material?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-22-2024, 08:34 PM

Couldn't get the original material to do my seats, so found something the wife liked. Since my fronts were toast, I found a set from a 2001 firebird and redid front & back. Not cheap and had to add some extra metal to the sliders, but came out real nice.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found a set of 4th Gen Camaro seats that recline and power driver seat - I used the 4th gen seat tracks.
I used the furthest back inside original bolt hole location to get best fitment and drilled and tapped the other three - outside rear and both fronts. I marked a line on center of the front two holes and measured back to make sure seat is square- I mocked up the fitment and it looks like I will use 1" blocks to lift rear to get the best seat track clearance. Looks like the outside front needs a 3/4" lift - front inside sits flush to the floor.
I haven't finished the install yet - dash is out - new interior going in with new carpet makes the seat modification install fairly easy.

I have another thread going and haven't finished the detail yet until I mount the seats and have the correct final specs and information for the best fitment.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=872230

The power and recline will be nice.