1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 08-23-2003, 10:11 AM

Does anyone know info on a factory 4-speed Gp? It is a 79 and originally had a 301. I would like to know how rare this car is. Thanks for any help

Old 08-23-2003, 10:11 AM

Does anyone know info on a factory 4-speed Gp? It is a 79 and originally had a 301. I would like to know how rare this car is. Thanks for any help

Old 09-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I dont know the answer to that question.I would check the Grand Prix Registry.

Old 09-01-2003, 10:11 PM

i remember seeing info on this in the gm parts book.

i have no idea on the prod #'s but they have to be low.

your best bet on this one will be to phs the car.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the number is somewhere around sixty.I've seen two of them.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 PM

Back in the late '80's I looked at a '79 Monte Carlo with the 4 speed/301 (??) V8 combo. Sounds like you've found a neat, rare car!

Shakespeare, on Ricers: "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing...."
Old 01-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

79 Grand Am could be had with the 301-4-speed combo.
Still have all the 4-speed parts from it. Was a rust bucket.
I tried to order my 80GA with a 4-speed in march of 80. Not only was I told no more 4-speed but production had stopped on the GA and I could not order one.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it originally a 4-spd car, or was it converted?

There was a black/gold 79 GA 301 4-spd locally in Raleigh a few years ago. It was very solid, no rust or damage, needed carpet and seats, but it was tired. The a/c didn't work. It went fairly cheap, it seems like asking price was $1200 or so and it went for $1000 or thereabouts.

There was a very nice 79 GA 4-spd advertised on this bulletin board some time back. It appeared to be an excellent driver and in very good condition. It seems like it was a $3-4K car.

I'd say the car is fairly odd and probably rare, but probably not very desirable. If it was a nice driver car, it could be a fun toy. If it needs very much work, I would stay away from it.

If you swapped in a hotter motor, I'm not sure what rear end fits those cars and is capable of handling a lot of torque.

Mike

Old 01-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Poncho-mike. If your refering to the 79 GA it was an orignal car that Chiefpontiac and I went to Salt lake and brought back. I have seen 4-5 79 4-speed cars.

The 79 GP was avalable with the 4-speed/301 combo.
You could also get a manual in 80-81 but only with the 6cyl.

As far as the rear end goes they are 7.5" mine is still alive after 5 years with a 455 but then the car was very traction limited on street tires. 245/60/15
on 15X8 wheels.

Car did not like any part of full throttle in first or half way thru second. Used to have to run down alot of 86/87 GN's back when they came out. I still have my 80 GA I bought new. Had to have the dealer find one for me. One day I may put the 4-speed conversion in it or it may go to the 86 2+2
Not sure yet.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car I am referring to was in Indianna or Ohio when it was advertised. I know the owner was also posting on the grand am registry. Other than that, I don't remember much about the car.

A friend of mine put a 455 into a 78 GP with a TH400. He kept destroying rear ends until he finally ponied up the cash and had somebody custom build a 12-bolt for the car.

Mike

Old 01-02-2004, 06:49 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poncho-mike:
The car I am referring to was in Indianna or Ohio when it was advertised. I know the owner was also posting on the grand am registry. Other than that, I don't remember much about the car.

A friend of mine put a 455 into a 78 GP with a TH400. He kept destroying rear ends until he finally ponied up the cash and had somebody custom build a 12-bolt for the car.

Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this car was located in shelbyville, in and looked to be a nice piece.

the owner is a member here but i don't remember his name.

we had a mint 4dr 4spd 79/80 grand am traded in at the dealer i worked at.

it was black and gold 2 tone with a gold bucket seat interior and had every option on it including the true wire wheels.

i should've bought that one but i thought the price was a bit much.

we got 500.00 out of the wheels to a collector who happened to pass thru while we had the car.

the car sold for 2500.00 to a college student with a family. i never saw it again and have no clue where it went.

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2004, 07:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gpta:
Does anyone know info on a factory 4-speed Gp? It is a 79 and originally had a 301. I would like to know how rare this car is. Thanks for any help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not an expert on production numbers, but I know there where alot more stick cars than you think. South Western Bell, Union Electric, etc, bnought a ton of those for fleet cars. I have seen wagons, 4 doors and sporty two dooors all over the midwest, including malibus, regals, GP's and GA's, with 3 and 4 speeds, they used saginaw trannys, and where usually low horsepower 8's and v-6's. I have personally parted 2 GP's and 3 Regals, and a bunch of malibus and el caminos. That where all 4 speeds.They where the "NOVA" of the late 70's and are pretty common.(at least around here)

NOOOOO! it's not a freakin' Chevelle!

Old 01-11-2004, 07:41 PM

Hey Orange

Do you still have any pedal set ups from the cars you parted? I want to put a stick in my 86 G/P.

Thanks Troy

Old 01-11-2004, 09:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 64tempest:
Hey Orange

Do you still have any pedal set ups from the cars you parted? I want to put a stick in my 86 G/P.

Thanks Troy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i have the pedals, the z bar, the frame bracket, and both push rods. Let me know, and i'll get ya some pics
marxparts@netzero.com

NOOOOO! it's not a freakin' Chevelle!

Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 AM

I'm looking at my 78 Pontiac sales presentation dealer album. I realize the 79 GP COULD be different than the 78, but I seriously doubt it.

Grand Prix: the 3 speed floor shift manual was standard in the base GP model with the V6 only, no four speed offered.

Note: The Lemans (essentially the same car) The same 3 speed was std in the Lemans and Grand Lemans, the automatic was std in the Grand Am.
A four speed floor shift manual was optional in the Lemans/GLM (V6 only), but NOT the Grand Am.

Maybe someone has the 79 book.

Steve R

Old 01-23-2004, 07:37 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by srercrcr:
I'm looking at my 78 Pontiac sales presentation dealer album. I realize the 79 GP COULD be different than the 78, but I seriously doubt it.

Grand Prix: the 3 speed floor shift manual was standard in the base GP model with the V6 only, no four speed offered.

Note: The Lemans (essentially the same car) The same 3 speed was std in the Lemans and Grand Lemans, the automatic was std in the Grand Am.
A four speed floor shift manual was optional in the Lemans/GLM (V6 only), but NOT the Grand Am.

Maybe someone has the 79 book.

Steve R<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the gm parts manual at the dealer i worked at listed a 3spd, 4spd and an overdrive trans in the g/ a body cars. i'll have to dig but i think my owners manual for my 78 regal lists a 5spd optional for some models.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-23-2004, 07:39 AM

for those of you parting the g/ap's / lemans base cars:

would you have a set of non-a/c ducts for behind the pontiac dash?

i don't need the box, just all of the ductwork.

mike

- Winston Churchill