Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Brewster Green 1973 4spd

I've never seen any "official numbers" but wanted to get your thoughts on how many Brewster Green 1973 Trans Am's were produced with the 4spd? I know there were 4802 total TA's in 73, (4550 L75 & 252 LS2). Of the 4550 only 1420 were manuals. Of those 1420 any thoughts or ideas as to how many were Red, White or most importantly Green??? :]

I found this thread when searching:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...brewster+green

Which gave this info:

"My observations around here & on the internet ebay, etc. is that RED appears to be the bellybutton/dominant color at about 70%.

White at 20% & Green at 10%.

I don't think a GREEN one is worth any MORE than a red one, it's just a matter of the transmission/engine options & overall condition.

I think the White one is the "lame duck" of the threesome."

Is these figures seem correct that would be less than 200 4spd green TA's...

Thoughts?

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember another thread where someone thought they were roughly the same percentage?
(maybe Brewster had input?)

Anyway the SD Registry is equally split among the 73 TA's.
(remember not all are in the Registry, but would seem the ratio would be representative?)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=526870

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=457602

Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't have a clue how many were made. But I know that there was one 455/4-speed in Monroe, LA, in 1978.

TJ bought it from a used car/auction lot, before it went to auction. About the only thing wrong with it was the front center section of spoiler was broken off--probably a victim of Louisiana road kill. The culprit may have looked something like the one in the pic below. TJ spotted this visitor out by the horse lot today, and it posed for some pics.

The green Bird was her DD for a couple of years. Very reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ's '73  455-4-Speed.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	409323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doing a Wheelie.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	409329  

Last edited by ponyakr; 09-29-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like more (% wise) SD were green than non SD cars or at least very close.
For the non SD (L75) cars most were Red then it gets ??? after that.

Check this car out & LMK what he is thinking saying "1 of only 139 made" being 4 spd & green:
http://carsonline-ads.com/colsite/co...ostingID=77412

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014

Old 09-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggy81 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like more (% wise) SD were green than non SD cars or at least very close.

Check this car out & LMK what he is thinking saying "1 of only 139 made" being 4 spd & green:
A friend of mine owned that car before this seller. I had the chance to buy it. Great car with a lot of potential, but as the ad states, not numbers matching. Don't know where the seller got the "1 of 139" number from...?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$29k & not a numbers car, wow! It looked like a good foundation. Did it just needed paint & interior / engine bay to be freshened up?
What do you all think that car would go for if it was numbers matching? I have seen a few auto green cars for sale lately but that was the only 4spd I have come across.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I saw this car a few weeks ago at the Morris, IL cruise nite. Brewster Green with a matte or satin flat (non glossy) finish. Only options listed on window sticker were tinted windows and hood bird. It has a black standard interior. On the owners description at the cruise in it had "1 of 139 produced". I didn't talk to the owner but I assume 1 of 139 Brewster Green 4 speeds. I don't know where he got the figure from.

Interesting that the ad says "radio and console delete". The Trans Am was top of the line and would have had at least an AM radio. I often wonder why ads don't say "Super Duty delete" also. If it was an automatic and no console was ordered it would be a column shift automatic (rare in the TA).

A gentleman on a Mustang forum said he ordered a Brewster Green TA late '72 after a stint in the Navy. He went to 5 Pontiac dealers in the fall of '72 (Philly area) and there were no Trans Am's on the lots. Later (early '73) the dealers had a few white and red TA's, but no Brewster Green TA's on any dealer lots. He took delivery in March 73: 455, beige deluxe, 4 speed. He didn't order the SD then because the dealers were unsure it would be produced. When he took delivery (March 73) they announced the SD option. Said he paid less than 5K and sold it in 1979 (20K miles garage queen) for 5K.

By 1973 green was waning in popularity so I assume few, if any dealers ordered for their lots.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's funny Nidan you saw the car. Small world right :] I wonder what he paid for it as it was listed at $29K...

I REALLY wonder what a BG 4spd numbers matching car would go for!!! :}

Old 09-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's funny Nidan you saw the car. Small world right :] I wonder what he paid for it as it was listed at $29K...

I REALLY wonder what a BG 4spd numbers matching car would go for!!! :}

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - STOLEN AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!

According to your signature you sold one just like you are asking about. What price did you get? Was it matching numbers?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
According to your signature you sold one just like you are asking about. What price did you get? Was it matching numbers?
I'm also curious about the interior color. You have "tan", would that be beige (lighter) or saddle (darker)? Beige could be Morrokide or cloth both deluxe, Saddle had standard or Deluxe available.

My brother's was Brewster Green, Saddle standard interior but had A/C, hood bird and a turbo 400 trans. He sold or traded it in the mid eighties (he lives in NC). Got me hooked on early TA's especially green ones. His car put down Posi rubber like MCQ.

I remember a Gold certified (POCI) Brewster 4 speed 455, with a Saddle deluxe interior, A/C, it had a 8 ball shifter and was PERFECT, For sale in the mid nineties in Rhode Island for $15500 or so. That's probably he nicest one I recall seeing- non SD in the last 20 yrs or so.

The owner of the Brewster Green TA I saw in Morris IL lives in the Chicago area.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In regards to my 73 BG I sold it back in 2006 when I was just getting into cars. Hell, I couldn't even decode a trim tag & just learned what 22887 stood for in the vin At the time the car was painted red with hood pins, roll cage with black interior, NOM but a 4 spd. Guy I bought it from said it was restored but it was a mess... I spent more time & $$$ getting the car right than I did driving it. Sold it for ~$25k & at the time was happy to get rid of it. Fast forward 10 years & I still wish I had it. Had no idea how few green 4 speeds were made. So it goes I guess.... So it goes

Old 10-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
In regards to my 73 BG I sold it back in 2006 when I was just getting into cars. Hell, I couldn't even decode a trim tag & just learned what 22887 stood for in the vin At the time the car was painted red with hood pins, roll cage with black interior, NOM but a 4 spd. Guy I bought it from said it was restored but it was a mess... I spent more time & $$$ getting the car right than I did driving it. Sold it for ~$25k & at the time was happy to get rid of it. Fast forward 10 years & I still wish I had it. Had no idea how few green 4 speeds were made. So it goes I guess.... So it goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidan73sd View Post
I saw this car a few weeks ago at the Morris, IL cruise nite. Brewster Green with a matte or satin flat (non glossy) finish. Only options listed on window sticker were tinted windows and hood bird. It has a black standard interior. On the owners description at the cruise in it had "1 of 139 produced". I didn't talk to the owner but I assume 1 of 139 Brewster Green 4 speeds. I don't know where he got the figure from.

Interesting that the ad says "radio and console delete". The Trans Am was top of the line and would have had at least an AM radio. I often wonder why ads don't say "Super Duty delete" also. If it was an automatic and no console was ordered it would be a column shift automatic (rare in the TA).

A gentleman on a Mustang forum said he ordered a Brewster Green TA late '72 after a stint in the Navy. He went to 5 Pontiac dealers in the fall of '72 (Philly area) and there were no Trans Am's on the lots. Later (early '73) the dealers had a few white and red TA's, but no Brewster Green TA's on any dealer lots. He took delivery in March 73: 455, beige deluxe, 4 speed. He didn't order the SD then because the dealers were unsure it would be produced. When he took delivery (March 73) they announced the SD option. Said he paid less than 5K and sold it in 1979 (20K miles garage queen) for 5K.

By 1973 green was waning in popularity so I assume few, if any dealers ordered for their lots.
As strange as it sounds the AM radio was not standard equipment on the 73 T/A.AM radio UPC code U63 retail $65.00.My 73 T/A was ordered new with no center console or radio.Only three options hood bird,tinted windows and radial tires.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the mid-70's, many of the car dealers were beginning to order cars without radios and installing aftermarket radios themselves before the cars were delivered to the customer. I ordered a '75 Monte Carlo from a dealer here in Omaha and got an aftermarket radio instead of a Delco radio/8 track tape player. They charged me the same price for that radio as the Delco version but the option was not on the window sticker. This may account for many of the so-called radio delete cars that we often see.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love to see a sheet researched from Fred Simmonds showing the transmission and color breakout, but just don't think its going to happen. Would think, if there actually was a researched color breakout sheet, the SD T/A numbers would be known in each color and whether auto or 4spd, and those numbers would have been floating around and known within the hardcore hobby.

In pursuing early 2nd Gen projects and partscars through the late '80's and through the '90's, ran across a ton of red auto '73 TA projects/parts cars, a few white auto cars, along with two white std black interior 4spd cars. Mind you, this was all personal cking them out, pre Internet boards and EBay. Nearly all were relatively cheap, as all but one of the red '73's were automatics, and nearly all had rust in the 1/4's and the tail panels. There was even a red '73 auto with aftermarket t-tops up the road from me... it was a roach, cigarette burns all over the black console, remember MC and I looking at it. The problem at the time was with the '73 D port cars not being worth much completed, and the NOS pass side 1/4's already dropped, as well as outer tail panels, n/a, not many of those red auto cars survived. After finally stumbling onto 3 different BG 73 T/A projects, I came across a BG saddle 4spd project with original ZZ coded block. being a good color combo, deemed it worth buying. Options are fairly basic, console, all SR glass, AC. Not sure on radio, it had been replaced, need to order PHS, find out if it is a rally II or HC car.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 10-01-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
need to order PHS, find out if it is a rally II or HC car.
Don't think the PHS will show if Rally wheels or HC?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Don't think the PHS will show if Rally wheels or HC?

Depends on the year. I have seen Honeycombs on the PHS for a '71 T/A.
Not sure on the '73s though... HFR would probably know.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know, both the 4-speed/auto and Rally II/Honeycomb were N/C upgrades on the '73 TA and will not be listed on PHS. They will be shown on the build sheet if found/saved.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW...if it matters.. My '76 T/A had honeycombs listed on the PHS.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 10-03-2015, 12:11 AM

My dad's 73 T/A came with honeycombs, but doesn't have honeycombs or rally II's on the PHS