Old 06-13-2016, 01:17 AM

Default Feasibility of recreatinga Cloth/Morrokide Beige '73 interior

I'm a bit intrigued by the cloth and morrokide option on the beige '73 deluxe interior. As best as I can tell by the pictures I've found, it uses unique seat covers and door panels that aren't reproduced anywhere.

Would it even be feasible to try and find NOS material to have these made, and if so, what kind of places would be able to get the correct look (especially for the door panels). It looks like a super comfy interior, and I think it would go sharp with my Buccaneer Red car and the woodgrain Formula dash. If it's out of the question, I'll go with the white interior I originally planned on, but I think this would be a bit more to my liking.

Has anyone restored one of these interiors, and if so, where did you get the materials?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One possibility is SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby, Oregon. They have a web site here.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

If you don't feel like calling them or your schedule does not line up with theirs you can also use their web site to request samples. I did that a while back for my 1966 Ranger and except for the carpet color, which is a special gold, they nailed it. They couldn't have gotten the carpet color right anyway since it was a special order truck, but they did get the style of carpet correct in the samples they sent to me in the mail.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/request-samples.php

I hope that helps some.

Chad

1966 Ford F250 4x4 White 4-speed - San Jose plant
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-f250-4x4.html
1971 Trans Am White/Blue 4-speed limited options - Norwood plant
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=757496
Old 06-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know a couple of people who have purchased the original fabric from SMS, then had Legendary Interiors make the seat covers and door panels for them using the SMS fabric. Just contact Legendary and ask for their tech person and they should be able to help you. Back in 2013 when I was working on my 70 Formula, I spoke to a guy at Legendary named Paul Currier who was very helpful, but it's been a few years so I don't know if he is still there. Here is is phone number: 1-800-363-8804 ext 230. His email address is Currier@legendaryinteriors.com

Old 06-13-2016, 02:40 PM

Guys, thanks so much for the help and recommendations. I love this site for just that reason, lots of guys that have the Ps and Qs down for correct restoration details.

I called Legendary earlier today and they are sending me some samples of the sandalwood cloth seat covers they list for a 73. I'm betting that's going to be the correct pattern, since that was the only cloth interior available in 73. If not, I'll contact SMS and see if they have some. Won't be as cheap as doing a white or black interior, but I really think it will be worth the effort. My wife likes the idea a lot also.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
One possibility is SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby, Oregon. They have a web site here.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/

If you don't feel like calling them or your schedule does not line up with theirs you can also use their web site to request samples. I did that a while back for my 1966 Ranger and except for the carpet color, which is a special gold, they nailed it. They couldn't have gotten the carpet color right anyway since it was a special order truck, but they did get the style of carpet correct in the samples they sent to me in the mail.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/request-samples.php

I hope that helps some.

Chad

thanks for posting the source of this interior material. I have always wondered if it's even available. Both the Beige cloth and Madrid Morrokide (vinyl) use code 551 for the interior color in '73. Mine is the non cloth version and I'm not sure if any segments of my interior have been replaced. My center door panels match the center portions of the seat and seat back. For the cloth version the entire seats are cloth as well as inserts on the door panels. There is a 73 Bucaneer Red SDTA with a Beige custom cloth interior in the SD Registry (probably the only one made). I'm sure it looks real nice. Here is the 'morrokide' version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHYH-EjsLg

Old 06-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are a nice seat option. Is the outer part of seat the same as non cloth? Could use available covers and have just the inner insert part created and added in. Same on door panels? just tossing ideas...

Old 06-26-2016, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are the '74 color patterns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974BeigeMadrid.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	431595   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974BeigePrado.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	431596  

Old 06-27-2016, 01:42 PM

You guys are great. Thank you very much for the color patterns and further info. I had no idea that the interior was offered as both cloth/morrokide and morrokide only. I'm waiting on my samples to come in from Legendary for the seats and door panel. I'll take a look at what they've got and evaluate whether I need to contact SMS to source the correct fabric.

Any more photos or info on this interior combo? I've seen some cars with beige seatbelts and some with black, so I'm betting they came either way. Ditto on the rear package tray. Every one I've seen appeared to have a black wheel and steering column though. I'm pretty certain the metal part of the cowl forward of the dashpad is supposed to be brown to match the dash, but am having a tough time finding a picture that's good enough to tell.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have rolls of the Corduroy, Cloth, and the specific perforated headliner vinyl that I bought from SMS to redo this interior.

IIRC SMS didn't have the exact vinyl, but two options for me to choose from;
To save a bit, I opted to skip the vinyl at that time, because a local shop was going to get the exact same stuff...

SMS can mail you samples.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

btw, this interior option is seriously awesome to see and feel in person.

I believe the carpet is available, but only from one supplier.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Those are a nice seat option. Is the outer part of seat the same as non cloth? Could use available covers and have just the inner insert part created and added in. Same on door panels? just tossing ideas...
seat insert = corduroy
seat face = cloth
seat side/welting = vinyl

My brothers car is an original ascot silver car;
I have only seen this interior with either green or silver cars.

the dash, console, and carpet were an unusual greenish brown.

By a LONG shot, this is my favorite 2nd gen interior.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal30_sniper View Post
You guys are great. Thank you very much for the color patterns and further info. I had no idea that the interior was offered as both cloth/morrokide and morrokide only. I'm waiting on my samples to come in from Legendary for the seats and door panel. I'll take a look at what they've got and evaluate whether I need to contact SMS to source the correct fabric.

Any more photos or info on this interior combo? I've seen some cars with beige seatbelts and some with black, so I'm betting they came either way. Ditto on the rear package tray. Every one I've seen appeared to have a black wheel and steering column though. I'm pretty certain the metal part of the cowl forward of the dashpad is supposed to be brown to match the dash, but am having a tough time finding a picture that's good enough to tell.
I believe that the colour matched seatbelts were what were supposed to be there, but like many other examples of special interior combos, if the colour matched stuff wasn't available, then black belts were substituted.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:57 PM

Awesome, thank you for the info. I had never seen a picture of this color combo until just recently, and it immediately struck my eye as something that would look classy with a red car. I ordered the dark brown SEM dye for the dashpad, console, and kick panels. I too have seen the greenish hue in some pictures, but will shoot for a chocolate brown color due to the buccaneer exterior. I think it will feel very European/Ferrarish as a completed combo, especially with the woodgrain Formula dash. I had the corduroy tan interior in my '88 GTA with the Flame Red exterior, and really liked the color combo as well as the feel of the material. I have seen this interior in cameo and brewster cars now, but nothing else.

Any chance you can recall who the supplier was for the carpet? I was thinking about contacting one of the carpet suppliers for color samples of all of their brown loop carpets and seeing what was the closest match to the redyed dash and kickpanels.

I'll probably go with the black '73 belts since I finally got a whole set together, but if I ever do the retractable belt conversion I might go with beige belts to match.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I messaged my brother about the carpet, I will post a reply when I have the information.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my brother got back to me, the box was thrown out over a year ago;
I am confident that it wasn't ACC, because I specifically had to source it from another manufacturer, and it was a colour that they offered, but it needed to be special ordered...