Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '70 - '72 Trans Am Stripes

As mentioned on other threads here, I've been doing some work developing a set of stripes for our cars. The motivation for this project is obvious since it just doesn't make sense to get to the finish line of a great restoration, or invest in a nice paint job and then have to settle for average quality stripes, which are one of the most visible aspects of the car. Instead, the stripes should be the highest quality that an owner feels proud to lay on top of the completed work.

Stripes for a blue car are being completed first. I've used NOS stripes loaned by some very generous members on these forums for patterns. The first proof for a roof stripe arrived today. The vinyl is 3M Scotchcal film, the same product that is provided by the current suppliers. Although the proof needs some tweaks, for a first print, it came out really nice.

Here are some details that I feel are improved from what's currently on the market:
1. The dimensional aspects of the stripes will be spot on. For instance, roof, rear deck and spoiler stripes will be 18 3/8" OD. The field will be 12 1/16"

2. For the hood stripe, the nose (point) of the stripe will be.... in the center!

3. The clear reveal is 1/8", pin stripe 1/8" and outside clear reveal 1/8".

4. The edge is machine cut (no x-acto's here), with a uniform 1/8" clear all around. No over cuts, under cuts, or jags in the edge.

Here are some cool aspects of this work:
A. Center white color: It will be matched to the NOS stripe, BUT, if a person would like the white to more perfectly match the shaker color, then I will be glad to do that for them. Cameo White, or a PMS number, or a color chip. Each set of stripes will be individually made.

B. Color options: The stripes can easily be tailored to custom colors. If an individual wants to maintain an original looking stripe, but have a custom color combo to compliment a custom paint color, no problem. Gun metal stripes on a silver car? Matt black stripes on a black car? Easy.

C. Dot fade: Once the dot fade is perfected, not only can a set of stripes for a white car be developed, but also, some of the early '70 blue cars had a white stripe with a black dot fade pattern instead of solid black. It will be simple to combine these details to create this stripe.

D. Stripe set for a non shaker hood: I wonder how that would look?

Next steps:
- Tweak the proof
- Send the second proof to a couple of members here with NOS stripes to evaluate and provide feedback
- Complete the artwork for the hood stripe
- Complete the artwork for the dot fade

Timing:
I think realistically, it will be this time next month before a set of stripes for a blue car will be available. Probably end of July for the stripes for the white car.

Here's a link to some high res pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsm/...7626629014035/

Feel free to provide any input you may have on this topic. I would like for these stripes to be really great for our cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proof 1 051811 s.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	244788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proof 1 end detail s.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	244789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Proof 1 corner detail s.jpg
Views:	169