Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-26-2020, 09:50 PM

Default Front brake pipes 65 Lemans with RA exhaust manifolds.

I'm replacing the front drum brakes with stock style discs , I've already installed RA exhaust manifolds. The stock brake line comes around the front side of the cross-member and very close to the front of the R side exhaust manifold. I'm considering putting a new brake line there concerned about the heat.

Should I run the brake line on the backside of the cross-member like lots of other old cars do ?

Or something else ?

Old 10-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I did on my '67. The stock routing is difficult to do with the engine in.

george

Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sport View Post
I'm replacing the front drum brakes with stock style discs , I've already installed RA exhaust manifolds. The stock brake line comes around the front side of the cross-member and very close to the front of the R side exhaust manifold. I'm considering putting a new brake line there concerned about the heat.

Should I run the brake line on the backside of the cross-member like lots of other old cars do ?

Or something else ?
how close is it to the manifold? you can use some heat wrap around the line if you feel its too close.

i have big 2" tube hooker round port headers on a 72 firebird & the brake line on the passenger side comes about 1/2" or maybe even 3/8" to the header tube, i wrapped the line with some self adhesive heat wrap & have not had any noticeable issues with brakes or the fluid in 5+ years of street driving & lots of drag strip time. & thats using standard DOT 3, dot4 or 5 synthetic handle much more heat & im planning to change over to that, but the heat wrap seems to work fine as is.