Old 11-23-2020, 11:29 PM

Default Proceeding with interior

Now that it is running, I have to look at the interior. Currently I have beautiful amazon boxes lining the floor.

I am just looking for suggestions on required items that need to be installed before others.

Dash pad before most of dash is installed so you can get to the screws

Drivers kick panel before the emergency brake

etc....

Thanks

DM3

IG: #67MoparBird (Follow my rebuild)
1967 Firebird 400

Appeared on Gearz, Season 16, Episode 1, Segment 'What Are You Working On?'
Old 11-24-2020, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I took an outside in approach when I redid my interior.

If the body is the outside, work those items inward to the center, so your seats etc. end up being last. The dash pad definitely needs to go on before you really start adding stuff to the dash as you state. It's "possible" to get to the studs with everything in there, but you're really making life hard.

Additionally, I would HIGHLY recommend running an auxiliary ground wire from the instrument cluster where it picks up the ground strap, directly to the dash structure. You may also consider doing the same at the wiper motor/dimmer ground strap.

I thought my ground straps were in pretty good condition, so I didn't initially do this. Had to go in and add another ground after everything had been put together.

In regards to the carpet, I found it best to have the kick panels "in place" but not secured so I could easily see where I needed to cut to have enough overlap with those pieces to help hold the carpet down. Although the carpets are molded and even from the factory doesn't have adhesive, I'd use adhesive, especially around the tunnel. I didn't and it's not as tight as I'd like as a result.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the info. Does the door sill wiring covers help at all keeping the carpet in place?

1967 Firebird 400

Old 11-30-2020, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3 View Post
Thanks for the info. Does the door sill wiring covers help at all keeping the carpet in place?
That depends on how you cut the carpet. The molded set I had came with enough extra side to side, that I cut them a little large which allowed me to screw the sills over the carpet to help keep it in place.

You'll find that the wiring doesn't actually go under that sill though. It runs just inboard of it on the driver's side towards the trunk and up through the B pillar to the roof for the dome light.

Unless you're adding stuff, there shouldn't be wiring on the passenger side. At least there wasn't on my car anyway.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:34 PM

Yes, the wiring sits in that 'channel' and there is no wiring on passenger side.

Since I have an all new floor pan, and carpet is going to be awhile, I wanted to install the wiring covers to protect the wiring. I would have to drill new mounting holes for the covers, but didn't want to proceed if I had to take the carpet into account.

DM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
That depends on how you cut the carpet. The molded set I had came with enough extra side to side, that I cut them a little large which allowed me to screw the sills over the carpet to help keep it in place.

You'll find that the wiring doesn't actually go under that sill though. It runs just inboard of it on the driver's side towards the trunk and up through the B pillar to the roof for the dome light.

Unless you're adding stuff, there shouldn't be wiring on the passenger side. At least there wasn't on my car anyway.

1967 Firebird 400