Old 06-24-2006, 02:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

455HighOutput I have a small blue book called Pontiac's 1974 Exhaust Emissions. On page #52 1974 4-BBL. S.D. ENGINE WITH IDLE STOP SOLENOID and it shows all the parts on the 455SD.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

455highoutput, in the September 2005 High Performance Pontiac, there is a great article on the two different types of emissions. It also includes diagrams. I'll try and scan them in and post for you.
Greg

Old 06-25-2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks guys, would really appreciate the help!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope these diagrams are helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emission diagram 2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	57125   Click image for larger version

Name:	emission diagram.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	57126  

Old 07-07-2006, 12:20 AM

Default 73 SUPER DUTY ON EBAY

i am the guy who bought the red SD on ebay 2 weeks ago.

the price was NOT run up by me or the buyer there WAS and STILL is a legitimate offer OVER the 75,100.00 mark, which by the way i am not taking!
i was lucky to have the buyer end the auction with an offer of 45,000 and believe me he could have gotten more than the 75 where i ended, but he's a man of his word and stuck to our deal that i gave a payment on.( check his other auctions his cars are the real deal)

anyway, now none of you have to believe it but i feel some comments are ridiculous please know your facts before assuming!

of only 252 of these were EVER made and this one is a 2 owner car uncle to nephew then myself being 3rd.

and YES EVERY # match's down to the alternator!!!!!!! the car has sat for nearly 15 years.
it would be nice to get some help with parts NOS or other and any and all info to help me restore this car back to it's original beauty.

i also own a 1970 47,000 mile original white with bright blue RA lll w/ air
and also had a 1969 TA which i regretfully sold quite a few years ago (and yes i still know the #s of it and where it is)

so please guys welcome me into the group and help me wherever you can i am extremly exited to own this super rare car even if it is an auto car.
options include s/r windows all, rear console (very rare!!) air, tilt wheel, auto, hood decal, and custom trim group.
thanks for the time to express myself
truly, rich t

Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the SD disease club ! as noted Doctors can NO longer help you and you'll just have to handle one day at a time.
Strange story about the purchase but I've heard many strange stories about buying cars.
What are your plans with the car? and what level are you going to restore her at ?
I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Brewster

Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Rich!
Can you believe how crazy this thread got over your purchase of the SD?

Good luck and consider it a blessing to get the chance to restore it to your standards!

That to me is priceless. I found this forum to be very helpful!
Hope it works for you too!

Good luck!
Bruno

www.brunoscars.com
Old 07-09-2006, 02:57 AM

Default resto questions

brewster ans bruno17 thanks for the replies!!!

my plans are to do a full frame off rotisserie on the car.

i am buying small items now, nos of course!!!!!
if you know of anyone with ANY parts let me know,

this car, even though all original has sat for 15 years. all the sheetmetal feels and looks great, but we'll see when she is stripped.
the interior need alot of help.

one thing i am looking for in particular is softray side windows, the 2 now have streaks due to the metal tabs dripping on them.

Also can anyone tell me how to know if the car is truly original with regards to my honey comb rims?
nothing on phs indicates these or rally's.........

i also need a rear console....... i have one now but it needs repair.......... i know good luck, but just in case?
thanks again to all i hope i get to see your cars and hear your knowledge in times to come, rich t

Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Rich,
If it does not state Honeys on your PHS and your spare isn't a Honey the odds are the car came with Rally II's. If it was a dealer option they usually changed out the spare to match too.
When you change out the windows, and weather stripping use staples not rivets if your bring the car to show. It's easier to do things right the first time, and not have to go back and change things later.
The one thing to remember is TAKE YOU TIME since the car can be original only once. Look and learn and take things slow. Enjoy what you have and document everything before making changes.
I love to drive my auto car and have put on over 8k miles on it in doing so. I figure the car will be here when I'll six foot under so why not enjoy it while I can.
Either way take it slow and enjoy,
Brewster
Oh, you can send that rear console out for repair or buy a new one on ebay for 7-8 hundred without the ash tray. Ouch ! is right.

Old 07-09-2006, 03:06 PM

thanks for the info brewster, do you have pics of your car??
so you think that the honeys were noted on the paperwork?
the spare is a honey and everything else is original so maybe they are?
i'm confused?

Old 07-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Rally II wheels or Honeycomb wheels are not on the PHS invoice. The Rally II's were standard and the Honeycombs were a no-cost option, so they don't show on the invoice. The only way to know the original wheels is to find a copy of the "broadcast sheet" under the back seat or carpet. The broadcast sheet will list the wheels installed at the factory as well as all other details of assembly

Old 07-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

As far as the LOF Soft-Ray side glass, I'd recommend contacting Auto City Classic in Isanti, MN. Found 'em in Hemmings. 763-444-5880. I had to send in a sketch of the LOF etch in the original glass so that they could verify that they had the correct tool already made up to do it. In my case, they did, so I didn't have to pay extra for them to make one. I bought both side glasses from them for $169 each. I've already received the passenger side glass as they had several in stock. Glass was super well packaged. Still waiting on driver's side as they had a back order. I'm expecting it in a 2-3 weeks. Glass is quality and LOF symbol is perfect. Part number for my passenger side glass was DD4703GTN (tinted). Don't remember what the part # is for the driver's side, but these guys know. I talked to a guy named Tim and found him friendly and very helpful.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Honeycombs did show on the PHS if they were ordered ahead of time, and cost 123.00, Code P05 and was charged out at 95.94. They dont show however if a Dealer added it on to the package tray upon delivery.
If you have a spare thats a Honey and its not on the phs odds are they were a dealer add-on. However most dealers just switched the four and left a Rally as the spare (unless it was a space safer).

Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Brew,

On a Formula, the invoice will show a $123.00 cost for Honeycomb wheels.

On a Trans Am, the Rally II wheels were standard, and the Honeycomb wheels were a no-cost option. As you stated, a dealer could switch wheels on cars in his inventory. This would not change the invoice. The invoice documents how the car left the factory.

If you have a Trans Am invoice with Honeycomb wheels listed, would you please scan and post it here?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeap, your right !
It only states it on my Formula PHS and not on my Trans Am car even though they both were ordered with Honey's. I'll ask my other TA friends to check theirs and will post it if I find a PHS that states it.
Thanks,
Brewster

Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Default resto questions

hey guys, thanks for the info with the honey combs and the windows, jury still out on the honeys
by the way i contacted restoration transformations about my resto in pa. any one have comments or feed back, jason seems very knowledgable and very excited to work on my car!
this forum by the way is f in awsome
rich

Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Rich, remember take things slow and document everything freaken possible. It can be original only once but you can restore it over and over,....................
Enjoy,
Brewster

Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM

brewster, it would be a HUUGE!!! FAVOR IF I COULD GET PICS OF YOUR CAR INTERIOR, UNDERCARRIAGE, ENGINE AND SUCH SO I CAN HAVE SOME KIND OF SIMILARITY COMPARISON.
SINCE YOUR AUTO IS UNRESTORED IT SEEMS LIKE THE PERFECT CAPSULE TO LOOK AT!
thanks in advance, rich

Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Brewster, on a different note, what 4 speed transmission did the factory put in a 1973 SD-455 T/A? Some say Muncie M-21 close ratio was the only thing available on the SD-455, and others say M-22 HD close ratio, and I have also even heard the Borg Warner T-10. Can you tell me which is true? Thanks for your insight.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Senior Chief

Here's what I believe is true, anyone with more info, chime in. The '73 SD's came only with the Muncie M-21. The "HD" M-22 was last used in 1972. The B/W "M-21" came out in mid/late 1974. My '74 Z-28 which was built in September '73 has the M-21 Muncie - you could also get a Muncie M-20 on the Camaro. I'm not sure if any early '74 400 4-speed T/A's came with the Muncie (M-20 or M-21) or not but I suspect they did. To the best of our knowledge, all '74 SD 4-speed cars were built with the BW starting in about March of '74 - Right Brew??

Dick Winkles
1970 RAIV GTO 4-speed
1974 Original owner Z-28 4-speed
1974 Buc red/white SD 455 T/A 4-speed
1974 Buc red/black SD 455 T/A 4-speed