Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 PM

Default '88 Safari fuel problem?

I wasn't sure which category to post in, so I posted here, as well as the Non-Pontiac Engines in Pontiacs (my apologies to the moderators):

Along with my '72 Luxury LeMans, I also have an '88 Safari Wagon with the stock 307 4v Olds "Y" code motor in it.

Within the recent weeks, I have noticed a handful of times where it surges/bogs when I am around the 45-55 mph range, and going slightly uphill.

My gauges show no deviation in temp, voltage. The tranny is quiet too. So I believe it is a fuel problem. At other speeds, situations, there is no problem.

I went to change the fuel filter, only to find the front nut from the gas line is seized, whereas the big nut on the housing is pretty easy to turn. Beyond the fuel filter, I have been advised my fuel pump might be going out.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have an 89' Safari with the same engine. It is so slow that I cannot even tell. I actually stopped driving it because of the low power. The carburator was replaced with a remanufactured one about 5 years ago, but the carb still seems like it lets the car bog down. I can floor it and no increase in power it seems. It also sometimes huffs out black soot from the tailpipe.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Fuel filter

My problem was definitely the fuel filter. Unfortunately, I stripped the nut when trying to pull the line from the carb and ran out of time to try to fix- was right before getting married. It really hurt to be charge $70 bucks for a $2 part fix.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hmmm. I wonder if a fuel filter will help my LOW power problem?

Thanks and good luck.