Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Online catalog problem

When I open the online catalog I keep getting messages about secure and unsecure items. I keep clicking yes and when I finally get to where I want I can't go back. I get a page expired and the only recourse I have is to close my browser and start over.
What can I do to remedy this?

Old 05-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Hi Fyrffytr1
You are correct. I was getting the same message as well.
We recently corrected a security issue and our correction caused that problem. I've made a number of changes that should clear up this new problem for you (on 90% of the site). Please give it a try.

I do know that there are still some spots that will still have this problem. I'll try to track them all down.

Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you ever fix it so you dont need a password to buy something?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Did you ever fix it so you dont need a password to buy something?
Not really. Due to the way our system is setup, you are going to want to have a login when placing orders online.

It's not hard to get your info, just email (sales@performanceyears.com) or call us (215-712-7400) and we'll get you going.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the offer of help but its just too easy to buy somewhere else instead, lots of vendors are happy to take my money without requiring a secret password.
In ten years of buying on the internet Ive only found one other site (computer parts) that required a password to do business with them.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Administrator

You don't need a password to order online. You can browse and/or purchase whatever you want. However, by registering, you get several nice features:

1. lookup past purchases back to 1998.
2. lookup open orders and check status's
3. Get Tracking numbers for your shipments
4. Use 'express ordering' which allows you to enter part numbers into a list instead of having to browse all the catagories.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421
thanks for the offer of help but its just too easy to buy somewhere else instead, lots of vendors are happy to take my money without requiring a secret password.
In ten years of buying on the internet Ive only found one other site (computer parts) that required a password to do business with them.

I have placed several orders online with PY and some of them were without passwords. I have found PY's staff to be very helpfull and very quick to respond to an e-mail inquiry. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Most other places I've ordered from are fairly slow to respond to e-mails.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, the messages no longer appear but I can't use the back arrow on my browser to return to the previous page after looking at a section.
If I am looking at the engine section and want to return to the first catalog page I get a screen saying the page is no longer available.
I have to close my browser and start over completely.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

fyrffytr1
I see where you are getting that message. This one has me a little more stumped, I'll have to see what I can figure out.

But when I get that message, I'm able to click refresh and it brings the page back up. You might also want to try to click on the catagory tree (on the right, under the "Welcome to Performance Years Online Ordering" message) instead of using the back button until I can figure out what is causeing this problem.

Steve

Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whan I browse the online catalog without logging in I am able to navigate the site using my back button.
When I log in I lose that function.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I gave up. It's just too difficult to navigate. I would hope PY would see that this has been posted many times.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

I thought it was my computer..
I called PY about four months ago while ordering parts about the same problems, the man I spoke to said it must of been my computer and was a bit snippy about it, not very helpful at all, he said it worked fine for him and that he had never heard anybody else having that problem, that seems to be a very popular sentence at PY in regards to this and my flanges breaking and then not fitting, I heard that same line from a few staff members, very frustrating to say the least.. The site is not very user friendly at all compared to the others. I say this in the hopes that PY will rectify the situation and continue to earn our business. Another problem is when you are searching for an item, you have to search in so many sub-catagories to find what you are looking for. It is a lot easier to navigate the competions websites.
I am sure they will work to make it more effective and user friendly. Year One would be a good site to look at for guidance as well as Original Parts Group.
It is good to let PY know what can be improved upon, by doing so helps them improve business, be more effective and makes for a happy customer who will come back.
If nothing is said, they think everything is okay.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like PY. They just need to listen and address that their website is NOT user friendly. We apologize but we're not making this up. It either works good or it doesn't.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Guys, I certainly appreciate any constructive comments made. However, some complaints are of no help and would lead other readers to the incorrect conclusion that our site doesn't work easily. There might be a dozen members that jump in this topic and say that. But at the same time, it is a fact that dozens of customers successfully place orders every day. So it is working for the vast majority. FY and YV have issues that they have both documented here. That helps us. The more documented specifics, the more we can help. Jimmy, I'm sure you didn't intentionally mean to 'stir the pot' but your post is nothing more than that. We can't fix what we don't know. There are two separate issues going on with online ordering problems. There are technical issues and there are navigational issues. We have a decent amount of control over improving navigational issues and literally everyday we adjust the system based on suggestions given to us. Sometimes a navigator just needs a little guidance and then the system is very easy to use from then on. Technical issues are a lot more difficult to address. There are literally thousands of combinations comprising brands of computers, browsers, browser setups and Internet services. Only the most sophisticated web sites handle ALL the combinations. Sometimes these combinations just don't fit our system and it is beyond our scope to fix it.

In the meantime, keep posting the 'specific' problems that frustrate you, and we'll keep addressing them.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My take on your online ordering is that it is just somewhat cobbled together. It is not easy to use when compared to what people have become accustomed to on almost any other e-commerce site of any size. It may be that dozens do use it successfully every day. But maybe HUNDREDS would use your online ordering if was structured in a clear and consistent fashion.
Here are few issues I have:

1) The Search functionality is inconsistent.
It sends me to my Shopping Cart if I select Search and am not viewing a results page.

2) These "Links"
EXPRESS ORDERS password Customer Invoices Open Orders Shop Check Out POLICIES

at the bottom of the pages are not only really hard to find, they do not make clear that they are even links, due to the way they are written in a mix of
ALL CAPS Upper Case lowercase with no delimiters or symbols between the "words".
It looks like a run on sentence...

3) The big important looking Shopping Carrt info on the left might as well be a link to my CART.

4) You have no "standard" Cart link that online shoppers are accustomed to that allows them to manage and view their Shopping Cart contents.

5) One has to go to CHECK OUT in order to manage your cart. That seems like I am not given a choice and am, In Fact Buying what I selected. I bet some people feel a bit nervous at this stage and likely are bailing out and either starting over, calling, or giving up..

6) Once in the CHECKOUT process. There is no obvious way to change or delete items from your cart. You Do provide this guidance:
"Change quantity to zero to delete an item. "
But there is no obvious way to update the page I am seeing (my Cart) after doing so. Not until I go to the "NEXT STEP"..
I imagine more shoppers bail out at this point too since you are asking me to give you may Credit Card info and I might still see items I do not want to buy in my cart.

7) You lose any navigation once in the Shopping cart. There are no top or side Navigational items. This forces people to use the BACK button to move BACK in and out of secure pages. This is the problem people are having here the most I think.. This will often result in Page NOT Found's. You should just provide a common consistent Navigation and not force the users browser to do what it doesn't like doing. Move between secure and insecure sessions that may have expired.

8) No common and consistent Navigation

Constructive criticism. I have bought products from you for years but I don't like using your online ordering either.. And do buy elsewhere at times..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Good stuff James. We'll post when we've addressed these issues.