Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've over the past 2 years replaced all the front and rear suspension components...all new BJ's, bushings, shocks, springs, rear lower solid bushings, new rear end...etc. I may not have noticed before, but the car appears to sit higher on the Right side than the left side...why might this be?? Front and Rear...I'll try to take some pics...post later.

Thanks!

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've over the past 2 years replaced all the front and rear suspension components...all new BJ's, bushings, shocks, springs, rear lower solid bushings, new rear end...etc. I may not have noticed before, but the car appears to sit higher on the Right side than the left side...why might this be?? Front and Rear...I'll try to take some pics...post later.

Thanks!

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. A coil spring may not be in its pocket correctly.
2. Suspension bound up. Did you tighten all the bolts with the car on the ground on it own weight? Are you using poly bushings? Poly bushings tend to bind up a bit.
3. Tweaked framerails
4. Bad alignment. Before you scoff, think about it. Anything that makes one spindle sit taller, whether it's a difference in camber from one side to the other, or caster, it will raise that corner of the car. I can prove it by simply pulling the shim packs out from behind the upper control arm.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks PMD. I aligned it last year after the work was done...I did add quite a few shims. I'll loosen and retorque the susp. bolts again on the rack at work...and lastly it is possible that the framerails are tweaked...the car has a reconstructed title in PA...not sure why, I didn't see anything really out of whack. It rides and drives perfectly fine. I guess I'll not worry about it if the above does not fix it.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's interesting, because my '69 is doing the same thing. The rear driver's side is lower, even after new springs. I suspect the frame because I see two dents and scratches mid-frame that look like someone hung it up on something.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's kind of annoying when I look at the car sitting still, but it drives fine.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Get a really big girlfriend to ride with you. It'll settle eventually

Old 04-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HA! Bjsgoat....too funny! I don't think my wife would think it was a good idea tho...

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

Jagtec
Will you be stopping ay Carlisle this weekend? I'll be there Sat and part of Sun. B

Old 04-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Outside chance for Sunday...My wife, Daughter and I are going to York to see my parents. There is a chance I'll make it early Sunday AM...

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-22-2004, 07:51 PM

My 69 Grand Prix is doing the same thing. It sits high on the passenger side. I am leaning toward the alignment thing, as I have tried everything else I can think of.

Old 04-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One more thing. Front springs used to be sold "with A/C" and "without A/C". The difference was that the passenger side spring for a Pontiac (driver's side for a Chevy) had a bit more oomph to it to compensate for the heavy A/C compressor and stuff. I don't think they do that any more.

Just rattling the cage to see who barks.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 04-25-2004, 03:33 PM

Not sure if this will add anything but I also have the problem with the lean down on the left side. New springs and shocks all around. Had the frame checked and minor adjustments were made but still have the lean to the left. So I pulled the rear axle this weekend and spent some time measuring things. The one thing I did notice was that the left side lower spring bracket was welded at an angle that is 6 deg. lower then the right. This amounts to 1/2" lower at the edge. It is very noticeable but not sure if this will make a big difference in overall height. Has anyone noticed this or know if this will be a big factor in height. I may be way off base with this one, but would appreciate some input. Pics are attached. Axle centerline was level when measurements were taken.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I do know is if you get the rear spring rotated 180 degrees, it will have an affect on ride height. If I remember correctly, the pigtail should be in front. I would suppose to correct any sag, you could conceivably spin one spring to either raise or lower that side.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:32 PM

I have the same problem on my '67, I also replaced all the front suspension components, and rear springs, but no change. I was speaking to one of the guys at Original Parts Group, and he had mentioned that it could possibly be body mounts? Just something to think about. I am not going to worry about it right now, it drives great, no issues. I will probably take a look at it when I repaint in a couple of years.

Old 05-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the same problem with my 65. It sags on one side of the rear pretty badly with new springs all the way around. I ended up putting a 1 1/2" spacer under one of the rear springs and it still sags. I'm thinking of trying a stronger spring on that same side to see if it helps. It bugs the hell out of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 05-10-2004, 09:17 PM

I just got my 69 bird back from the garage, had frame connectors, rear shocks, poly body mounts and new leaf springs installed. we measured the rear before the mods and the car was lowered 1" in back with the mods. That was the idea. Drove the car about 15 miles. Tonight I was checking things and noticed the same problem as previous posts. Rear: driver side is 1" lower than passanger side, up front: driver side is 1/2" lower than passanger. Can this mis-allignment cause any damage ???
I thought things would probably settle in until I read your comments, you guys seem to believe adjustments are required. Before I start any adjusting I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Old 05-15-2004, 05:16 PM

Hey guys...help required, am I looking at a problem or will things settle in ?

Old 05-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Im curious too as to why this is...I am having the same exact problem with my 73 Lemans; drivers rear sits lower than passenger rear. I was "leaning" (get it? leaning? HA!) towards the idea that 30 years of torque finally took its toll, but after changing a whole ton of parts, Im starting to believe my thinking is a little "skewed". (another one! I kill me!)

It was obvious to me almost all the body mounts on the drivers side were visibly flattened a considerable amount more than the passenger side, so I was "inclined" to believe (alright, I'll stop) changing them would solve my problem. Car is at the shop right now fixing that exact issue.

I have new springs, relatively new shocks, and now, new mounts. So if it still looks like crap when I get it back form the shop, I'll try the rear spring, and the front end alignment theory. However, Im hoping it will finally sit right. I'll let this group know as soon as I do what will finally make the difference as its scheduled for an alignment in two weeks and I can easily rotate the springs before then.

~Mark

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 05-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

doesnt the right side torque down when u launch? purhaps its a drag mod from the factory?