Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

Hello,

Frequent reader, seldom poster of this board.

I am considering doing a front disc brake conversion for my 64 GTO. I have seen the kits available from Master Power Brakes and Stainless Steel Brakes. I am seriously considering going this route vs. the hunt for used spindles, backing plates, etc.

My question(s)...

Does anyone have any experieince with these kits? Are their any gotchas to look out for?
Is the install difficult?

Additionally, speaking with the rep from SSB, he said once the kit is installed, I must replace the front rims to accept disc brakes. (I figured this was the case anyway). But he said I would need a minimum 14"x7" rim.

I believe the stock rims are 14"x6". The clearance now is pretty tight, I think I have 1.5" now. I'm afraid going to a 14x7 will be too wide and hit the fender wells when the wheel is turned.

Anyone have experience with this? Is a 14"x7" rim acceptable?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

C-

Old 04-01-2002, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

Hello,

Frequent reader, seldom poster of this board.

I am considering doing a front disc brake conversion for my 64 GTO. I have seen the kits available from Master Power Brakes and Stainless Steel Brakes. I am seriously considering going this route vs. the hunt for used spindles, backing plates, etc.

My question(s)...

Does anyone have any experieince with these kits? Are their any gotchas to look out for?
Is the install difficult?

Additionally, speaking with the rep from SSB, he said once the kit is installed, I must replace the front rims to accept disc brakes. (I figured this was the case anyway). But he said I would need a minimum 14"x7" rim.

I believe the stock rims are 14"x6". The clearance now is pretty tight, I think I have 1.5" now. I'm afraid going to a 14x7 will be too wide and hit the fender wells when the wheel is turned.

Anyone have experience with this? Is a 14"x7" rim acceptable?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

C-

Old 04-01-2002, 11:04 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Should be farely straight foreward. However, You May have to get the hose mounts for the disc brake hoses from another Disc brake car. As for the wheels all you need to do is get a set from a later A body with the disk spacing.

Old 04-02-2002, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a link to a thread where we talked about some of the things you asked...

http://performanceyears.com/cgi-bin/...29&t=000211&p=

Also; do a search for 'disc brakes' in the 64-65 GTO, 66-67 GTO and Suspension forums. You'll find plenty of reading material. I'm sure that if you write to any of the people in those threads they'ld be glad to answer any questions.

Phil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
Old 04-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used the Stainless Steel kit on my 65 GTO. I went with the booster for power brakes also.
The kit had everything you need, and baring any trouble getting your old parts off, it can be installed in one day.
I replaced all the fron bushings in the A arms while I had it apart so it took me two days to finish. And I took my time.
As for wheels fitting,,,, I have 14"x7" Rally 2 on the car without any problems, but I don't know what else will fit.

Good luck, I was surprised at the added stopping power.

Old 04-02-2002, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We installed the SSBC Superduty kit on the GeeTO Tiger. This uses your original drum spindle and drum hub. It also requires the use of a 15" wheel.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:14 PM

My64; I am going through the same grief with my '65 LeMans. I don't have the pressure to keep my car stock like you do, but I found great info. at WWW.GlobalWest.Net. Click GTO, click Tubular arm kits, scroll down a bit and click the purple
"64-72 Spindle Information" This will show you a list of all the 11" and 12" donor cars. I had the kit from MP in my office when I was persuaded by another member to go the other route. I am going 12", but I could have cut the knuckle off of a number of the 11" donors, exchanged the calipers, bought new rotors and misc. hardware the same day, locally. Cleaned, pre-assembled and had ready for literally about three hundees. I am closer to 5 with the 12" but I went with the cross drilled rotors. They will look nice through my rims. Happy hunting. '65 Topless

Old 04-02-2002, 10:50 PM

My64; I just left the "Suspention" forum and there is a subject called "Inexpensive Disk Brakes etc..." that you may not want to miss.There is a huge amount of knowledge I am trying to soak up from this board. This is a good topic on the brake subject.
Good luck! Steve b. '65 Topless [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 04-02-2002, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

I looked into the same situation, and except for the Vett style brakes, the rims should not be a factor...or am I wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 04-03-2002, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks all for the advice, keep it coming!!

I am pretty sure I will be going with the SSB kit (when money allows). After talking with them on the phone, and reading the reviews here, it seems like they are the best way to go.

I wish I had the time to scour the junkyards for this stuff, but I don't have the time. And I'm sure once everything is totalled up, the costs will end up about the same.

In this area, I am not so concerned with originality. For me, this is a safety issue. I have spent a lot of time (and money) on this car. I would hate to blow a brake line and trash the car, or worse have someone get hurt.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

goathead,

After talking with SSB, they said I would need to get a 14x7 rim MINIMUM. I believe what I have on the car now are 14x6's, and the tires are very close to the fender wells.

A friend of mine (who also owns a 64) says his rims are 14x6's. He has already done the disc brake conversion. He took his spindles, calipers, etc., off of a 70 GTO/LeMans, and has 11" rotors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
I looked into the same situation, and except for the Vett style brakes, the rims should not be a factor...or am I wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Next time you are on the phone with SSB, ask them if they use all new parts with the front disc brake kit for the 64-72 A body kits. The statement that by the time you gather up the parts it would cost the same is not true. You can also buy the spindles and brakes right off of Ebay, at any one time you should see at least 2 sets for sale.

Old 04-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Ken,

I will do that. I know that they give a 10 year warranty on all parts. He did mention the kit is the same as a 69 Camaro.

What I meant in that statement was, by I added up all the parts and the time to find them, it would be close to the cost of the kit. I realize that it will probably be a bit cheaper, but I'm not sure if it is worth it (to me).

I recently called a person locally who had spindles, backing plates, and a prop. valve that would fit my '64. He wanted $250.00 just for those 3 items.

I figured by the time I got all the correct parts (rotors, flex-hoses, booster, master cylinder, brackets, lines, etc.), and then had to go back to the parts store 12 times to get the right stuff, it would be a wash. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken K:
Next time you are on the phone with SSB, ask them if they use all new parts with the front disc brake kit for the 64-72 A body kits. The statement that by the time you gather up the parts it would cost the same is not true. You can also buy the spindles and brakes right off of Ebay, at any one time you should see at least 2 sets for sale.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My64 - I installed that very kit in my 65. It's not a direct install as far as the brake lines coming off the master cylinder are concerned. Did you read the post I put a link to in my first post here? In it I said that 14" Rally II's fit and they were 14x6.

Sonny Barger
Old 04-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In those kits there a few item that can't bought easy at a parts store, they are the caliper brackets and the dust shields. Now go and price those items seperatly from there kits. On my worst day I could do ths same conversion for a third of the cost they charge, on a good day I could do it for less than $100.00, now this is for good used parts and not every thing reconditioned. Here is the price of new and reconditioned parts that I can buy at just about any automotive parts store where I live. All parts are for the 69-72 A body brakes. New brake rotors $40.00 each, rebuilt front calipers with pads $15-20.00, rebuilt master cylinder $18.00, brake hoses $12-15.00 each. In my opinion what they have to offer does not equal the $800.00 price tag they ask.

Old 04-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Senior Chief

Yup, I was re-reading the thread earlier and caught that. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 6567GTO:
My64 - I installed that very kit in my 65. It's not a direct install as far as the brake lines coming off the master cylinder are concerned. Did you read the post I put a link to in my first post here? In it I said that 14" Rally II's fit and they were 14x6.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

You mean the $1000.00 plus price tag they ask.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken K:
In those kits there a few item that can't bought easy at a parts store, they are the caliper brackets and the dust shields. Now go and price those items seperatly from there kits. On my worst day I could do ths same conversion for a third of the cost they charge, on a good day I could do it for less than $100.00, now this is for good used parts and not every thing reconditioned. Here is the price of new and reconditioned parts that I can buy at just about any automotive parts store where I live. All parts are for the 69-72 A body brakes. New brake rotors $40.00 each, rebuilt front calipers with pads $15-20.00, rebuilt master cylinder $18.00, brake hoses $12-15.00 each. In my opinion what they have to offer does not equal the $800.00 price tag they ask.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 04-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't realize they cost that much now. I know they sell the hell out of those kits because I am allways reading about them. I alway keep a pickle fork and a hammer in my truck just in case. Once you know the trick to buying them cheap they are actually easy to find. I have paid as little as $20.00 for a set but most times they ask how much will you give me for them and I offer $50.00 and have never been turned down yet. Sorry I can't give away the whole secret.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Senior Chief

Sure keep those secrets.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here is the link to SSB. The kit I'm thinking about is the A123-1

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/...&carYear=64-72

ed:Forgot link

I didn't realize they cost that much now. I know they sell the hell out of those kits because I am allways reading about them. I alway keep a pickle fork and a hammer in my truck just in case. Once you know the trick to buying them cheap they are actually easy to find. I have paid as little as $20.00 for a set but most times they ask how much will you give me for them and I offer $50.00 and have never been turned down yet. Sorry I can't give away the whole secret.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: My64GTO ]</p>

Old 04-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Honestly - It's cheaper to piece it together like Ken suggests. I just didn't have the time and I don't work with this stuff every day. When I started putting the kit on my car I wish I had selected all the parts myself. Especially with regards to the proportioning valve/distribution block and master cylinder lines. It's your call.

Sonny Barger