Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy View Post
Do any of you guys have a flat Hydroboost bracket you'd want to sell? The unit I got has a weird angled, rounded center bracket that I just cant drill...
This is an Ebay auction item for a flat Hydroboost plate.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ollie-
Thanks, I have been watching that. But I had hoped to save a few dollars on a used one someone might have...Also it think I'll have to re-drill holes in it anyhow..
Thanks though for your help. Sure would be nice to get Nick to make some. I thought someone here had created a drawing of his bracket?

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vidguy

I contacted Nick earlier this month reguarding making another run of his brackes. He stated that he would need 25 firm orders for another run. I started posts here on PY, Pro- turing and Pontiac Zone trying to generate intrest in another run with no one interested.
Nick posted some CAD drawings of the bracket on NastyZ28.com when he was making the first run.
this the link to his original post.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78349

I have been doing some eyeball engineering on the Hydroboost and the vacuum can. My first plan is the remove the bracket from the vacuum can and use thet to mount the Hydroboost.

Last edited by Ollie; 03-26-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ollie, I assume you mean the vacuum booster when you say vacuum can. If you search Hydrorboost on Google you will see that some have used these brackets for mounting the HB. I considered it, but did not like the way it held the HB away from the firewall.

If you decide to do it this way and don't want to cut up your existing booster, you can buy the brackets here: http://www.piratejack.net/vmchk/Boos...r-Bracket.html

Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vidguy, mine came with the flat bracket, but I ended up modifying it quite a bit to install the way I did it. You can probably make your own flat bracket fairly easily. Just need a flat plate, a drill, correct size hole saw and drill bit.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, Joel,

I did mean the vacuum booster when I said vacuum can. thanks for the link, I think I will get those brackets instead of tearing up my booster.

I was just over checking out the Piratejack website. If you follow the link above the image it takes you to another page with an assortment of other brackets and peddle rods. I think that anyone could find the rods and brackets to fit a hydroboost to most any car.

http://www.piratejack.net/Booster-Br...edal-Rods.html

Last edited by Ollie; 03-26-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:03 AM

I can't help too much with the master question, but for anyone considering ordering Nick's plate, I highly recommend it. I polished mine, but here is a pic on my Trans Am:

Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2SlowTA, I agree that the plates from Nick look very good, but I have a question about it.

I thought Nick's plate had some tilt to it, but your plate appears to be flat. Is it flat? Does he make more than one style of plate?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Joel,

It is my understanding, from reading nick's original post in the above link. That yes he did make a run of flat brackets for the first gen. Then made a second run with an angle for the second gen.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
2SlowTA, I agree that the plates from Nick look very good, but I have a question about it.

I thought Nick's plate had some tilt to it, but your plate appears to be flat. Is it flat? Does he make more than one style of plate?
Mine is flat and works fine. I got it in his first run, so I am not sure if he made more than one style. Not sure why you would want it to tilt?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In my case (68 LeMans) I wanted to tilt it to let the pushrod line up with the lower hole on the brake pedal, but tilt may not be desirable on some vehicles.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On A 79 TA it needs to be tilted to clear the inner fender panel. As well as linging up with the lower hole.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I contacted Nick earlier this month reguarding making another run of his brackes.
Yeah I recall and I was in on that.I emailed him directly twice.

Quote:
I was just over checking out the Piratejack website.
I bought a Prop valve from them last week. They are friendly. I saw the brackets there. I have to see which ones that they sell have the correct non symmetrical hole layout. Again I was hoping to first get an old booster bracket (or junk booster that I could take one off of..) from these cars so I know the holes are in the correct location.

Question: Are ALL firewalls on GM cars of this era the same booster bracket stud layout? It's not symmetrical. The Driver side studs are a little farther apart then the passenger side.. ODD...
As for creating my own. I was thinking If I spent $10.00 on steel and drilled it, purchase the correct hole saw, etc.. I'd see if anyone had an unneeded piece I could get for about less then $20.00 or so. The piece the guy sells on Ebay is looking better. I just dont think the holes are right for a GM car so Id have to drill it anyhow..

Also I was hoping to get a stock piece so that the little key/nub was in there. I have thought about it and would likely , If I create one, have someone weld a nub on there and file it.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."

Details here:
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy View Post
Yeah I recall and I was in on that.I emailed him directly twice.

I bought a Prop valve from them last week. They are friendly. I saw the brackets there. I have to see which ones that they sell have the correct non symmetrical hole layout. Again I was hoping to first get an old booster bracket (or junk booster that I could take one off of..) from these cars so I know the holes are in the correct location.

Question: Are ALL firewalls on GM cars of this era the same booster bracket stud layout? It's not symmetrical. The Driver side studs are a little farther apart then the passenger side.. ODD...
As for creating my own. I was thinking If I spent $10.00 on steel and drilled it, purchase the correct hole saw, etc.. I'd see if anyone had an unneeded piece I could get for about less then $20.00 or so. The piece the guy sells on Ebay is looking better. I just dont think the holes are right for a GM car so Id have to drill it anyhow..

Also I was hoping to get a stock piece so that the little key/nub was in there. I have thought about it and would likely , If I create one, have someone weld a nub on there and file it.
Come on James, (Vidguy) dont be such a tight wad, go for the Ebay piece. With your cost projections you are already at $30.00 plus the cost of the hole saw and the cost of getting that locating nub in the hole. Because of the locating nub the hole would have to be machined anyway more $$$$$.

Looking at the brackes on Piratejack's site. I would like to know the dimensions of thoes brackes. Still for $9.00 that is not a bad price.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VidGuy,

Agree you should weld in a locator tab. I have a welder so I did not even consider that.

I am not sure of the status of Nick's mounting plates, but if I were to do it over again, and was not in a hurry to do it, I would have purchased one of Nick's plates. Mine works fine, but took quite a bit of time to fabricate/install. With repeated test fitting, the time added up. AND NICK'S PLATE LOOKS MUCH BETTER.

I think Nick is/was charging about $100 for his plate. If I were you, I think I would put the $25 + shipping for the E-bay plate, and $9 + shipping for the Pjack brackets toward one of Nick's brackets, assuming they are, or will be available, and you are not in a hurry to get it installed. You will spend a bit more money, but IMO it would be worth it.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joel- I really get the impression that Nick doesnt want to do this again.. I think He might be burned out on the business end of the deal
Ollie, You called me out. I am a tightwad...

Heck...Im going for the ebay bracket.. And I'm calling Pirate jack to get some dimension and info.

Work

Details here:
Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just putting this info out there.

FYI
I just got off the phone with Tammie at www.Piratejack.net
She is super helpful. She pulled the brackets and measured the holes.

They list bracket #650 (pictured below on the left) for a 67-69 F-Body.
I dont know if the firewall stud location/spacing is the same between 1st & 2nd gens so I asked her to measure for me.

So she measured bracket #650 and #651-a. Both have holes that are 3 1/2 inches apart on the booster side.

She said #650 is at least 1 1/2 center to center on the Firewall side. But that one of the Firewall side holes is slotted and will allow for 1/2 inch more distance. That works in the non symmetrical arrangement on my car.

If you look at #650-ss on their site it's the same bracket in Stainless as the #650 and you can see the holes.

She also said that #651-a (Pictured below on the right) has the same 1 1/2 inch spacing on the Firewall side but has widely slotted holes there and, it has slotted holes on the booster side where again, the holes are 3 1/2 inches apart .
So, that bracket seems to be a more universal design.. I'll likely try that.

They also have rods and couplers.
http://www.piratejack.net/Booster-Br...edal-Rods.html

I'm going to measure this weekend and order Monday. and see if I cant use that..... I'll see how I like the unit sticking out..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	650-ss.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	163250   Click image for larger version

Name:	651A.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	163251  

Work

Details here:

Last edited by vidguy; 03-27-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew you would see the error of your ways, James. You were spending a dollar to save a dime.
I got the same impression from Nick too. that he didnt realy want to make another run of brackets. Thats why he said he needed a firm order for 25.
If you look at his original post it spans a time frame of almost two years.

I'm happy to know pirate Jacks is so accomidating. Looks like I will be ordering some brackets from them. I like the looks of the brackets in photo 2. All 4 holes are slotted for a lot of adjustibility.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know I saw a post a few months ago by a guy that said he could duplicate Nick's Brackets, if Nick would give his permission to do so. You might want to contact Nick and see if he would be willing to let someone else make a batch using his design. If so, it may be that they can be made at a lower price. Nick's price is certainly OK for a specialized part if made one at a time, but I would think that a CNC machine shop could make them for significantly less if they had the CAD info.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nick's brackets were made on CNC machines from CAD drawings . For an order of 5 they came out at over $100.00 the savings in in the quanity.