Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She made it sound like they are a general purpose adapter that is somehow driven into the flared fitting. Then you screw the new o- ring types into it.. Some kind of malleable metal.. Maybe I have it backwards though...
I'll know more when I get them. Took a $10.00 flyer on them to see.
I am a little confused too, but she knew exactly what I was asking for. Apparently she gets calls like mine often?

I'll report back with pictures. If these dont work I may price aeroquip or russell, or heck.. I'll cut and flare!!

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 08-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The offroad crowd buy them alot.

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to the guys at a small industrial/agricultural supply place close by and they can do the hoses for me by re-hosing the ends I supply. I have the o-ring ends that came with the unit and I have the inverted flare ends currently on the hose between the pump and the box. I split the old hose have the two ends mated to the appropriate o-ring ends, in the proper orientation, with new hose custom fit to length. No cost mentioned but they did an 1/2" air hose with 3/8 npt ends, 6' long, supplying all the parts and I think it was only $27, IIRC. So putting my ends on two hoses less than 4' long shouldn't cost me more than $20. This looks like one concern out of the way.

FWIW, Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy View Post
She made it sound like they are a general purpose adapter that is somehow driven into the flared fitting. Then you screw the new o- ring types into it.. Some kind of malleable metal.. Maybe I have it backwards though...
I'll know more when I get them. Took a $10.00 flyer on them to see.
I am a little confused too, but she knew exactly what I was asking for. Apparently she gets calls like mine often?

I'll report back with pictures. If these dont work I may price aeroquip or russell, or heck.. I'll cut and flare!!
Should be interesting to see what they send you.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

James:

I was looking for something to use as a bushing in the pedal pushrod hole like you did. Couldn't find anything in hard nylon or such so started scoping my junk bins. Found a locking collar that fit the ID of the pushrod, opened the ID up to 7/16" and narrowed very slightly. A solid bushing will work well.

After I'd done this I kept on looking for other stuff and found that a GM brake caliper bushing, the one the mounting bolts go through, has an OD that is just about a perfect fit in the pushrod, has the right ID for the stud on the pedal but needs to be cut down in width to about .250".

So if you want a solid bushing ...

FWIW, Stewart

Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
After I'd done this I kept on looking for other stuff and found that a GM brake caliper bushing, the one the mounting bolts go through, has an OD that is just about a perfect fit in the pushrod, has the right ID for the stud on the pedal but needs to be cut down in width to about .250".
Interesting find! I just did all my brakes and have a few extras..

FYI I got the Lee Manufacturing adapters the day after I ordered them. I am still not sure how they work as I dont know what the end of a "New" power steering hose looks like. I'll go pick up the 2 that Old Goat used and see..

But it appears that you drive these adapters into the flared fitting and it gives the O-ring hose a modern end to pull tight to. I think for it to work the new hose has to be able to screw into the same Threads on the "old" pump/gear.
But what changes is the interior; there will now be a fitting (nipple kinda thing) in the middle of the hole sticking up for the hose to tighten against. Still a bit confused but I will take a picture tonight of them and maybe try them out. I have a busy weekend so I dont know how much I can get done..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."

Details here:
Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way I may have you get set of hoses made for me. That might be a sweet deal. You might have to start sellign those to Hydroboost swappers!

I need to be more resourceful.. There probably are ag shops around here that would make hoses cheaply as we have lots of ranches... but the hose shop here wanted $150.00 or so as a ballpark figure.. I'm not cheap, just trying to spend carefully. $20.00 here, $50.00 there, and pretty soon you could of bought some nice leaf springs or a rear end!

Work

Details here:
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vidguy,
If you want, I can get the hoses here possibly, flare the ends and strighten the bends like I did, then ship them to you. Or, PM me with your phone #, and I'll tell you how I did mine. It's not that hard.
Charles

Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy View Post
By the way I may have you get set of hoses made for me. That might be a sweet deal. You might have to start sellign those to Hydroboost swappers!

I need to be more resourceful.. There probably are ag shops around here that would make hoses cheaply as we have lots of ranches... but the hose shop here wanted $150.00 or so as a ballpark figure.. I'm not cheap, just trying to spend carefully. $20.00 here, $50.00 there, and pretty soon you could of bought some nice leaf springs or a rear end!
I haven't talked price but they are just re-hosing my supplied hose ends. They will remove the old hose pieces and swage new hose on to my ends. They are just supplying the hose and the swaging press. Can't cost that much. New ends would probably be pricey.

Stewart

Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Update Plus a Couple of Questions

Well I got the vacuum booster and m/c off today. The mounting plate on my HB unit will only need two holes drilled. The bottom two holes are the right size and position to fit over the pedal mount bolts. My measurements on the length of the pedal pushrod indicate that I may not need much, if any, spacing to have pushrod and pedal hole line up properly. I will have to re-do all the brake lines from the m/c to the calipers though. Little if any way to make the lines co-ordinate with appropriate ports otherwise.

I plan on combining this swap with the S10 rear disc conversion. I know an adjustable proportioning valve is the best setup but I read in one of the other HB threads on another Forum (don't remember which one) of a guy who had the TA 4 wheel disc setup stock and then installed a HB unit. He said the combi valve was pretty much dead on for balance.

Is the TA 4 wheel disc combi valve a good one for this setup? Are they even still available?

Stewart

Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good going!
I had a picture earlier in this thread that showed the measurements of my 75 Formula Studs. They aren't Symmetrical. One side is farther apart in the vertical dimension then the other. Not sure why...

I found the hoses that Old Goat 67 Used in his 67 GTO. I wonder if the approximate distance (therefore needed length) is close to the same on the two cars:
A-Body 67 GTO and F-Body 75 Firebird Formula.
I'm going to measure tonight.

Here are the prices of the hoses at www.Rockauto.com
$25.79 - Gates 36366630
$19.92 - Gates 357640

Thanks for the offer Charlie, I sent you a P.M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroboost 357640.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	179095   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroboost hose 36366630.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	179096  

Work

Details here:
Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK I got my two hoses from Rockauto. I spoke with Old Goat 67 on the phone! And I am going to try to re-flare these myself and bend them to fit like he did. I have a wedding to attend this weekend so I dont know how much I'll get done. I'll let you know.

Work

Details here:
Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well darn it since I mounted my Hydroboost the opposite as Old Goat, Cylinder near Fender, these hoses were a BEAR to bend and fit... I only tried bending the one...
I am resorting to making my own out of Aeroquip TFE hose.
Anyone want my Old Goat 67 Hose mod Hoses?
$43.00 shipped.
One Brand new the other bent just a bit on one end. Cost me $54.00 shipped.

Work

Details here:
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think I would have even attempted this. Why? High valve covers? Drian hole is there for a reason.
Please don't blame me. How bad are the hoses screwed up, I may want them still.
Charles

Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not blaming you buddy! Just that my install turned out to be different. You were super helpful. One hose is new one is bent a little bit that's all.

Work

Details here:
Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Almost There

Here's a couple of pix of my install so far. The unit went on with minimal fuss. I had to open up the firewall hole slightly but nothing other than that. The pushrod lines up with the manual brake hole in the pedal and sits tight to the F/W. The M/C has been cleaned up and is ready for be bench bled (the lines to the reservoirs).

Once I cut down the OEM combi valve bracket and re-drilled the holes, my new disc/disc combination valve fit perfectly and the lines to the calipers/wheel cylinders needed only minor tweaking to line up. The pressure hoses are just to see if the routing is close. A couple of lines from the M/C to the combi valve and I'm set.

Previously I had mocked on the inner fender and while clearance may be a little tight for the lines to the combi valve, they will fit.

Now it's time to order the B-body spindles, 1LE rotors and new calipers for the front and the appropriate S10 parts for the rear disc conversion.

FWIW, Stewart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9029.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	187306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9030.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	187307  

Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job! I bought the hose and fittings to make aeroquip lines a few weeks ago. Made one line and am waiting to put the motor in and get the new Power Steering pump in before making up that line. Will do this soon.

Work

Details here:
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 AM

Time to convert mine to HB .
Can you post part#'s or what they came off of...... Astro vans?
Ive got the B Spindles , single piston calipers
looking to get at least 2 piston calipers & 1LE rotors next also

Formerly..... Dreambird72
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbird View Post
Time to convert mine to HB .
Can you post part#'s or what they came off of...... Astro vans?
Ive got the B Spindles , single piston calipers
looking to get at least 2 piston calipers & 1LE rotors next also.
Mine is off an early '90's GMC Safari van. '94 IIRC. Don't have a p/n. The early h-b units from the GMC/Chevy vans have a flat mounting plate the '95-up have an angled plate like the stock vacuum booster on a 2nd Gen. They require an adaptor or some creative hotrodding.

There are other units that can be used as well. Do a search and you should get all the information you need.

Stewart

Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a few shots of the Hydroboost installed and pretty much ready. the motor is just getting the final wrapup items.
I used the TFE hose and made the ends myself using Aeroquip reusable fittings I bought online. The hose I bought from an ebay seller who had some extra I guess.

I bought the fittings mostly from sweetperformance.com.

Thanks to everyone that helped and shared info. I'll let you know how they work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2095 (Medium).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	200950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2096 (Medium).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	200951   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2094 (Medium).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	200952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2093 (Medium).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	200953  

Work

Details here: